PDA

View Full Version : Question..... Hornady 75 grain polymer steel .223

Sr Wing Commander
01-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Has anyone shot this stuff? I tend to stay away from steel cartridges with my AR (have shot some wolf with no problems). Saw this the other day and figured it was Hornady so it should be fine. 29.99 for 50 rounds.

More then the steel case though I wonder how 75 grains would do out of a 1:9 14.5 inch barrel???? A buddy of mine says to short a barrel and not enough twist to stabalize. What say ye board members?

Oh also saw a box of Hornady Zombie MAX....Z-max has zombie green tips?? Figured it was just the V-Max round, but was wondering if anyone had seen that......and no I am not kidding...

Also, haven't logged on in about a year...busy with other stuff, but just getting back to playing with my AR and upgrading so figured I would drop back in.

NewbieAKguy
01-04-2012, 01:26 AM
I haven't shot any of it myself, but I guess it is a cheaper way to get "match" ammo cheaper than usual brass stuff.....unless you roll your own of course.

I shot some of Prvi Partizan's 75gr match ammo and it gave me very good results with my lightweight DPMS 16" barrel. That's the heaviest I've tried through it...even liked some reloads with 64gr Nosler SP and minimum charge of Ramshot TAC powder.

As for the z-max line of ammo, I'm guessing it's just v-max/a-max ammo with a green colored tip. Clever way to get into the zombie "market" IMO.

Oh, and welcome back!

NAPOTS
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I like their 75 gr bullet but I don't know how much point there is in shooting it out of a 14.5" barrel.

Texas Soldado
01-04-2012, 10:39 AM
The length of the barrel is not what stabilizes the bullet, it's the rate of twist and 1:9 will stabilize a 75 grain pill.