PDA

View Full Version : Nagant m1895 revolver

94ford
01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
when to the local gun store today and i put an 1937 Nagant M1895 7 shot revolver on layaway.The total price for it is $137.00.I was curious if anybody has any info about the handgun???

O.S.O.K.
01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
What do you want to know?

Chambered for 7.62 nagant - a gas seal design. The cylinder moves forward when the hammer is cocked whichplaces the neck of the cartridge into the forcing cone. The double action is very stiff - something like 16 lbs pull. Ammo is pricey.

Dr. Gonzo GED
01-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Well...

one unique feature is that it is the only revolver made which mechanically "gas seals" the cylinder against the forcing cone. What does this mean you may ask? It's the only handgun you can effectively "supress". Allthe others expell gasses between the front of the cylinder and the frame, making them much noisier than their semi auto counterparts. The Soviets even used it as a silenced pistol in it's day.

Another feature I've heard regarding these is that the ammo is well underpowered by todays standards. I would still not like to get shot with one.

I've wanted on for a while myself. Some folks in these parts do a "steampunk shoot" every now and then. A Nagant revolver would be a great piece for that, both in looks and authenticity!

Enjoy your new shooter mang! And get back to us when you have a chance to try it out.

also, pics please!

Partisan1983
01-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Well...

one unique feature is that it is the only revolver made which mechanically "gas seals" the cylinder against the forcing cone. What does this mean you may ask? It's the only handgun you can effectively "suppress". Allthe others expell gasses between the front of the cylinder and the frame, making them much noisier than their semi auto counterparts. The Soviets even used it as a silenced pistol in it's day.

Another feature I've heard regarding these is that the ammo is well underpowered by todays standards. I would still not like to get shot with one.

I've wanted on for a while myself. Some folks in these parts do a "steampunk shoot" every now and then. A Nagant revolver would be a great piece for that, both in looks and authenticity!

Enjoy your new shooter mang! And get back to us when you have a chance to try it out.

also, pics please!

On another board, someone did a very good experiment with one suppressed compared to other revoler designs, and they found it didn't suppress any better (if I remember correctly) L1A1Rocker might remember more.

Solidus-snake
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Well...

one unique feature is that it is the only revolver made which mechanically "gas seals" the cylinder against the forcing cone. What does this mean you may ask? It's the only handgun you can effectively "supress". Allthe others expell gasses between the front of the cylinder and the frame, making them much noisier than their semi auto counterparts. The Soviets even used it as a silenced pistol in it's day.

also, pics please!

Hahah now that you mention it it does look like a steampunky gun. I love that stuff..

raxar
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

seems to work pretty well.

L1A1Rocker
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
I've had my eye out for one of those for a while now. I'd love to put a silencer on one.

Partisan1983
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I've had my eye out for one of those for a while now. I'd love to put a silencer on one.

I could be wrong, but didn't someone suppress one on the silencer boards....

94ford
01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I go pick it up in a couple of days,so i'll post pictures

L1A1Rocker
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I could be wrong, but didn't someone suppress one on the silencer boards....

Yes they did. The thing is just scarry quiet.

94ford
01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Well i got the revolver last Wednesday and it's pretty sweet,Even the local police department was impressed with it,(had to take it there to register for the C.P.P.)But unfortunately every time i tried to put a picture on here it kept saying the picture was too big to post.Also bought 14 rounds for $10.00.As soon as the weather improves i'll let you guys know how well it shoots.....

Ezra Coli
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Are these things hard to get now? I remember when they were everywhere. I've never fired mine but was just looking at it last week while moving some stuff around.

94ford
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Well for the price,($120.00 plus the sales tax) they fly off the shelves.Mine was the last one the local gun store had plus the older the year that is stamped on it the more people are wanting.

O.S.O.K.
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Ezra! Good to see you post!

These are still pretty easy to find:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=350&name=Russian+M1895+7.62x38R+Nagant+Revolver

http://www.aimsurplus.com/eos/images/product/f3nagant2.jpg

And as a side note, there are ways to "fix" these so that you can shoot less expensive ammo. The most common way is to simply purchase a 32 ACP cylinder and swap it out with the 7.62 original. Being a handloader, I chose to get a replacement recoil block (the little piece in the back that moves forward with the cylinder) and mill this down to allow me to use 32-20 brass for handloads. These don't seal up as they are too short but do allow economical shooting.