PDA

View Full Version : Educate me about spare parts for the SAR-1.

was_peacemaker
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Currently I have a SAR-1 AK. The year model is 2000 and I noticed after about 2K-3K rounds that the gas piston was getting a bit loose. From my research I have found that this is a normal occurrence with most AK's. So nothing to worry about right?

At any rate I am going to pick up a spare Tapco trigger kit, hammer, hammer spring, shepherds hook, and axis pins. The one thing I would like to find is a spare bolt, bolt carrier, and gas piston. I do know that current WASR-10 parts will interchange with the SAR-1, but not visa versa. Now I know those parts will fit but I do not know how they would perform.

Anyway when it comes to spare bolt and carrier assembly, and gas piston...where is the best place to look if the parts are available? One of the issues I had looking at Numrich is that they don't specify what AK variants their parts will fit. Anything I should look for there? Thanks. :)

circuits
01-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Loose is good. Loose is proper. Century's welded/soldered US pistons are a labor shortcut, and can hinder reliability. I remove the pistons on any Century AK I own, and drill and pin it back in place properly.

There's nothing wrong with having spare parts on hand, but it's rare you will actually need them. Usual go-to source for AK parts is K-Var, though brownells has some, and Arsenal USA might be a good third source.

imanaknut
01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I have an SAR-1 that I have put well over 13,000 rounds through. Lost count unfortunately but at this point, everything inside still looks relatively new. The chance of something wearing out in your lifetime is very slim, but I can say I do have an extra fire control group in my parts bag.

As for the bolt, carrier and piston, I believe any European set would work as long as there were no head space issues with the bolt. As for the piston on the carrier, as said, they are supposed to be slightly loose on the carrier. The correct way to install them is to thread them on until snug, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin. As circuits said, unfortunately Century, in their zeal to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment, they welded the piston in place which could lead to issues if not straight or if they warp.

Personally I wish I had saved my money on many spare parts that I have because after many years around AKs, they just don't break. :D

insider
02-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Spare wood is good too!

was_peacemaker
02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Spare wood is good too!
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/IMG_0815.jpg

Is that yours? If so..I must say you have great taste. That is the way I wanted mine to look. That one in the pic has that old school cold war feel to it. At last I can't find the Romy sidefolders anymore. They have all dried up.

El Laton Caliente
02-07-2012, 11:39 AM
A spring kit, fire control group, extractor and firing pin should keep it running until the barrel wears out at 40K to 80K rounds... You will be more likely to use a broken shell extractor than any of the spare parts though. The only other thing I've experienced was having the muzzle device detent pin come out losing the spring and muzzle device.

insider
02-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Is that yours? If so..I must say you have great taste. That is the way I wanted mine to look. That one in the pic has that old school cold war feel to it. At last I can't find the Romy sidefolders anymore. They have all dried up.

The SAR is mine pending funds, nice package deal. I really like the SAR's for knock-about guns, I don't have to worry about ruining a high dollar pre-ban.