PDA

View Full Version : The worst college major for getting a job is ...

LAGC
01-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Is college worth it?

With an 8.9 percent jobless rate for recent college grads, a new study tackles the question.
Computers and mathematics: 8.2 percent unemployment. These majors had a lot of variation, in which people who wrote software had better prospects than those who simply used software. That meant that information systems majors had an 11.7 percent jobless rate, while computer science majors had rosier 7.8 percent rate. Math majors did even better, at 6.0 percent.

Social Science: 8.9 percent unemployment. Things weren\'t looking great for sociology, poli sci and econ majors, whose fields were broadly dispersed across different job fields.

Philosophy and religious studies: 10.8 percent unemployment. Apparently, the demand for Nietzsche is low. Other majors specializing in humanities and liberal arts also suffered from high unemployment, with English majors facing a woeful 9.2 percent rate, and history majors looking at a sad 10.2 percent.

Arts: 11.1 percent unemployement. The demand (the kind that comes with a paycheck) for artists, musicians and other creative types was dismal. Fine artists fared badly with a 12.6 percent jobless rate, while drama majors did better at 7.8 percent.

And the worst college major for finding a job? That would be Architecture, which had a depressing 13.9 percent unemployment rate. The collapse in construction and home building during the recession pummeled this speciality.

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Worst-college-major-for-getting-a-job-is-2444128.php

Wow, who would have thunk? I can see Philosophy and Arts -- totally useless degrees -- ranking up there, but Architecture? And Computer Science in the Bottom 5? How depressing...

Kadmos
01-10-2012, 02:39 AM
The real estate market went to shit, of course architects have been hard hit. A lot of building construction stopped midway, you think they shut down, skipped town but still payed the architects?

My cousin is an architect, he's lucky he got tenure as a professor a couple years before the hit, now he can comfortably teach kids how to be out of work.

Historically 1 in 5 are self employed, I know he has his own firm (a one man job like most)..I doubt he's seen much foot traffic.

As to computer programmers, it's gone much the same way, most businesses are using stock software they have been using for a decade or more with no desire to upgrade. The kinds of programing that took banks and banks of workers doing millions of lines of code is few and far between, most stuff is quick and dirty..web design using simple software.

Mark Ducati
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
In the opposite direction for job security... I read a report that listed these 5:

1) Healthcare
2) Govt. Jobs
3) Agriculture
4) Education
5) Environment (going green)

5.56NATO
01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Well according to the local major healthcare pfacilities, hiring foreigners is good business practice. Either that or they're just doing jobs Americans won't do?

Warthogg
01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
ANY major ending in 'STUDIES'.

Wart

alismith
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I think there's still a high demand for hit-men. That job just seems to be able to weather most times of hardship.;)

One of the best "skills" to have, right now, would have to be the ability to speak a different language. I'm not sure which language would be the best to learn, but I'm sure Spanish, French, Russian, or Chinese would be in demand.

Warthogg
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I think there's still a high demand for hit-men. That job just seems to be able to weather most times of hardship.;)

One of the best "skills" to have, right now, would have to be the ability to speak a different language. I'm not sure which language would be the best to learn, but I'm sure Spanish, French, Russian, or Chinese would be in demand.

YES to the language skills and Mandarin Chinese would be my pick.

Wart

O.S.O.K.
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Business majors are doing well from what I've read.

The boomers are retiring and there's a need for new blood.

The way I look at it, having a "practical" degree or a skill such as welding or plumbing will be an absolute must to get a job going forward. The jobs that are being cut are the ones that don't require either...

Of course, you don't need a degree or special skill to start a small business - just need to be willing to work hard and learn what you need to as you go.

Ambition and hard work have always been keys to success in this country and that won't change.

coppertales
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
during my job hunting career that alot of companies would not give you an application if you did not have a degree, no matter if it related to the job or not. No diploma, no job application, even though I had extensive experience in the field. I am glad that part of my life is over.....chris3

Sidartha
04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
CBS, The Wall Street Journal and the Huffington Post disagree on the numbers the Seattle PI dug up.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57325132/25-college-majors-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/08/the-11-majors-with-the-hi_n_1081625.html#s459268&title=Clinical_Psychology

Interesting disparity between "news" organizations.
BTW, for the clicky challenged; Clinical Psychology tops the list ahead of Fine Arts with Architecture coming in 5th or 6th depending on how you count a tie.

Helen Keller
04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
:lool:

I thought it was "Gay and Lesbian Historical Social Studies"

I saw an occupier with that sign, cause they couldnt get a job with a degree like that.

TheMrMitch
04-25-2012, 09:10 PM
How about Corrections? Always have the bad guys to control.

ltorlo64
04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm not surprised about the Computer Science degrees being hit hard. It was a new field, people who got in early made a ton of money bringing more people into that field, and then when the tech bubble burst those people who could sit behind a computer keyboard and make a computer do cool things but could not do anything else were left with no place to turn.

LAGC
04-26-2012, 06:54 AM
How about Corrections? Always have the bad guys to control.

Well, with the way the crime rates have been steadily falling since their highs in the mid-1990's, even through this recent recession, I think new prison construction is on the slow-down as well. Hell, many states are having to let more prisoners out due to budget cuts.

binky59
04-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Although it is obvious which majors could be considered more difficult or which majors could be considered more likely to get a job with, I would say that it is 100% up to the student getting the degree to decide if he will have a job coming out of college or not. Based on real statistics from the institute of education sciences, here is a good list of the most popular majors http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=37. I think that although many majors carry more time and effort than others, its still all about finding the major that fits you best. we can argue which is the best or easiest and coming from a communication graduate, I found it to be a very successful degree in terms of finding a good job post graduation that I am happy with. If you're interested check out http://www.degreeincommunications.net which will show you some programs that you might be interested in and answer any questions you have about getting a degree in communication.

Anyone can make something out of a degree but like someone already mentioned, I feel you have the ability to do whatever you want after you complete your degree as long as you use your connections and the resources your handed while in school.

You're right about communications degrees, my son is a Com major through ROTC. The army pays for the degree, gives him a $40k bonus
when he graduates, and a commission as an officer when he completes his degree. 2ndLt's are started at $34,900 which works
out to a hell of a lot of spending money when you don't have to pay for, food, clothing, housing, medical, and grad degrees while
in service.
Bullshit degrees, hotel-motel management, recreation and leasure

ltorlo64
04-26-2012, 09:23 AM
You're right about communications degrees, my son is a Com major through ROTC. The army pays for the degree, gives him a $40k bonus
when he graduates, and a commission as an officer when he completes his degree. 2ndLt's are started at $34,900 which works
out to a hell of a lot of spending money when you don't have to pay for, food, clothing, housing, medical, and grad degrees while
in service.
Bullshit degrees, hotel-motel management, recreation and leasure

While he will have alot of spending money, officers have to pay for food and for clothing. We get an allowance for food, but it does not cover what the government charges us for food if we were to eat every meal in the government supplied mess. As for college, grad degrees are also on us. The military will help with costs, but generally cover only about 50% of the costs while on active duty and none of the costs of books. His GI bill will help for a Master's when he gets out, but I do not know if it will cover the whole thing.

By the way, tell him congratulations.

El Jefe
04-26-2012, 10:26 AM
http://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Worst-college-major-for-getting-a-job-is-2444128.php

Wow, who would have thunk? I can see Philosophy and Arts -- totally useless degrees -- ranking up there, but Architecture? And Computer Science in the Bottom 5? How depressing...

Yeah, good thing you don't have to worry about any of this huh.