PDA

View Full Version : Let the Romy AK tales begin!

was_peacemaker
01-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Everyone has a range story, and anyone can post range tales. What I wanna hear is what have you done with your Romanian AK outside of the range? Even if it is not something "exciting"!

Has it been your truck gun? Work? Hunting? Or self defense? Mine has been a farm gun...nothing real exciting but it has performed when needed.

Yet, I would love to hear some non-range tales about the Romy AK. How has yours helped you out?

gpwasr10
01-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Mine was instrumental in in getting my Kar98k Non import marked Numbers Matching German Mauser. Traded str8 up!

hazmat
02-07-2012, 11:48 PM
I used all of my Romanian AKs for foreign weapons familiarization training where I work. Also used my MD63 UF as an OPFOR weapon on a couple of occasions. You should've seen those guys when I started in with that AK with blanks the first time. They were used to hearing M16s with blanks, but that 7.62x39 blank is MUCH louder. So when I opened up, every single head in the convoy popped up to see what was making all the racket. I prefer to use my UFs for training, since that is the AK they are most likely to see in the field.

was_peacemaker
02-08-2012, 03:57 AM
I used all of my Romanian AKs for foreign weapons familiarization training where I work. Also used my MD63 UF as an OPFOR weapon on a couple of occasions. You should've seen those guys when I started in with that AK with blanks the first time. They were used to hearing M16s with blanks, but that 7.62x39 blank is MUCH louder. So when I opened up, every single head in the convoy popped up to see what was making all the racket. I prefer to use my UFs for training, since that is the AK they are most likely to see in the field.

Now this is an awesome post! :) Really cool stuff your doing there. Please forgive my ignorance but what does OPFOR, and UF mean?

Bluntforce
02-08-2012, 04:11 AM
[QUOTE=was_peacemaker;203754]Now this is an awesome post! :) Really cool stuff your doing there. Please forgive my ignorance but what does OPFOR, and UF mean?[/

OPFOR Opposing force. UF underfolder.

Bluntforce
02-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Mine is a truck gun kept in a pistol grip shotgun case. Since I live on a farm in BFE and am frequently alone it is often my home defense gun as it is short, the topography of the land does not lend itself to shooting neighbors and I want something more effective than a pistol.

It's also what I check on the livestock with and what I bring along when on my land.

I was told they were all POSs and had dismally low expectations, I was therefore very happy with its actual performance. I was expecting canted sights and gas tubes, horrible finish and no hope of any kind of accuracy. The finish was as good as any utility grade weapon should be expected to have, there was no canting and the accuracy is every bit as good as one could hope for from a short barrel and heavy bullet.

It's an underfolder, btw. It changed my life and I find the world a better place with it.

binky59
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I love all of my romy,s, one became my sons first weapon, I have lots of other guns but I shoot the romys the most. I don't take mine to the
range much, 2 seconds between shots, 10 round mags bah! I like going to the dump and bump firing a few mags on the old TVs.

ATAK, Inc.
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
I've had my SAR-1 since 8/01 and have never looked back. This rifle has gone from stock to threaded barrel, Kobra and PK-A, to fabbing the receiver to a left side folder, first an AK-103 and now a Khyber Pass style. It shoots flawlessly with a perfect factory trigger. the first 1k rounds went without cleaning, just to see!
When at my place in Idaho, it has always been with me when out in the woods or when working outside.
I've got more awesome toys, but this is my workhorse.:ak2:

Here it is as a AK-103.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_0250.JPG

When it gets a bit warmer I'm going to rivet the rear trunnion and give it a dose of GunKote. I painted it almost 7 year ago with BBQ paint, and while some chips, not bad... That is until the last time out when I bumped a drum for my girls; they loved it and the barrel is now crinkle finish:lool:

hazmat
02-08-2012, 11:40 PM
the barrel is now crinkle finish:lool:

Now it really could pass as a KP!

l921428x
02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Thought you were speaking of Mit. Sorry.

KalashniKid
02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
ahh no love stories yet but im so pleasantly surprised with my wasr-10 after reading all the hate online that im taking mine hunting this season for whitetail, hopefully ill have good stories soon. only got range experience but i can nail shotgun shells on stakes at 50 yards standing up with a couple shots no problems. cant wait till tommorow when i get my posp scope!!!

heres my baby in all her glory
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1238
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1237

btcave
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Like Hazmat I used my SAR-3 for training soldiers, but just for familiarization, no blanks involved.

I used to go jack rabbit hunting with my army buddy in the high desert of eastern Oregon. This was a 5 day event after Christmas through New Years. There were 5 of us and we would space out about 30 meters apart on line and walk through the sage brush barren landscape. We would have theme hunts, such as "Assault Rifle hunt", "Black Powder hunt", "Shotgun hunt", "Handgun hunt", ".22 hunt", etc. and we would cover miles up and down this valley. The first rabbit I shot was broadside running full tilt at 75 meters...with a Mosin M44. I lead him just right.

So before I had an AR, all I had was my SAR-3. I got good enough over the years to hit running jack rabbits on the run at 50 to 75 meters. I was using hollow point Wolf ammunition. It would turn the suckers inside out. The crows and the coyotes had a field day. My partners were very impressed with the accuracy of the SAR-3. I still have it.

That was the best training I can think of for acquiring targets quick and making the shot count that I have ever experienced.

This is us on the hunt. My buddy Paul aiming and his brother JR.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5849/dsc00161kg.jpg

94ford
02-25-2012, 11:57 PM
I own a 1985 Romanian WASR 10/63, I've had the AK since November of last year,the funny thing about how i got it was a complete surprise.The local gun store had it on the shelf for a couple of years and did not know they had it until i asked about the price.Cause they only sell certain types of firearms like Smith & Wesson,Colt,Luger,and etc.Well to make a long story short after they found out about it they wanted it gone due to how the AK-47 gave a bad name to their store so i got it at a fair price.Since owning it i had the thumb-hole butt stock replaced with a regular butt-stock and pistol grip and new top cover.Having my Ak-47 has helped me with acquiring a 1958 Chinese SKS,2 Mosin Nagant's,(a 1942 ex sniper 91/30&1945 m-44 carbine)and a 1895 Nagant revolver,(1937).And i've been deployed to Iraq twice,(2003-2004&2009-2010)and being able to see this type of weapon in action give's me respect towards the weapon,I'd gladly give up my M-4 carbine for a AK any day.I plan on getting another AK cause the one i bought only can use the 10 round magazine and was told these AK's are rare for the age,but I am proud to say that i own something that came from the mind of it's creator Mikhail Kalashnikov.:ak:

hazmat
02-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Be careful up there in MI, as a folding stocked rifle needs a pistol permit. Something about the overall length being too short for MI laws. But don't let that stand in your way. Now that you've got the bug, start collecting. They're a hoot to say the least!

94ford
02-27-2012, 12:17 PM
My Ak has the wooden stock with the cleaning kit tube inside of the butt stock.When i got shooting at my cousin's house it's kinda embarrassing only shooting 10 rounds rather than 30 or 40 rounds....

hazmat
02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
You really need to get a double stack gun. They're much more fun than a single stack. If you're on a budget, J&G Sales usually has them for a good price.

Crash
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
They were used in a photo/video shoot for a large government contractor that used them to help portray an enemy and to showcase that companies latest equipment.

hazmat
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Got another tale, though it doesn't involve a Romanian gun. I had a MAK 90 that made an appearance on the local news, and it wasn't even a bad thing. They did a report on the fun show 2yrs ago, had the camera jock/reporter walk through, film different tables and talk to the promoter. He went by my table, saw that I had the 'evil' gun on it, and set to recording. (Of course it didn't help that I had the only AK in the show that weekend, either.) I tried to sell him the gun, but he was short on cash. Talked with the guy several times since then, and he's a 2A guy through and through. So when the 9 o clock news comes on that night, there's my MAK featured prominently in the report.

Bluntforce
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Was the report pro-second amendment?

Tx Dogblaster
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I built this one for my oldest daughter and gave it to her for Christmas a couple of years ago. I even put her name on the buttstock so it wouldn't get mixed up with the others :crazy: It's hilarious that so many people don't believe it's actually a real gun. The guy at the local indoor range messes with her every time we go in there. I always get comments from people saying that they can't believe that I gave that to a 12 year old girl and how dangerous it is because it looks like a toy blah blah blah...
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/txdogblaster/PandaRomy.jpg

SOTB (Spec Ops Tactical Baby):shss: preparing for a daring playground recon mission a few years ago. The Romper Room camo has since been replaced...
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/txdogblaster/SpecOpsBaby.jpg

:11doh: this one shrunk... (2nd build). I think everybody at the range and our outings have put more rounds through this than I have! It gets people's attention regardless if we're indoors or out. The concussion will wake the dead! My son tries his hardest to burn the bbl out of it but it keeps running like a top...
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/txdogblaster/DSCF0892.jpg

was_peacemaker
02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't care what anyone says! I would so rock n roll with that pink AK.

hazmat
02-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Was the report pro-second amendment?

Oh yeah. They were reporting on the fun show; how long it had been going on, how long we were there that weekend, what you could find, and of course a shameless plug for the show itself.

You can tell the difference of different reporters and networks. The guy I mentioned earlier works for the local Fox affiliate. I work a machine gun shoot at the Sturgis Rally, and have for the last 4 yrs. Last summer, a knuckle head from the local NBC station came by to do a report. Oh my God. The kid was scared half out of his mind. Tried to point him to where people were shooting the cool stuff so he could include it in his report, and when he went on air that night, my wife commented to me 'What the hell did you do to that poor kid? He was scared shitless doing that report.' My reply was 'Nothing we didn't do any other time of the day. Couple of bowling ball shots, lots of Ma Deuce, a smattering of automatic rifles and sub guns, and a little bit of Star Target (like Tannerite) thrown in. In other words, a normal day at the Shoot.' Even the Anchor Jerk noticed it. While the report was good, I wonder what we'dve got if the reporter wasn't a wuss.

Coincidentally, the guy who did the funshow report showed up this last year at the Shoot. We had a good talk about prairie dogs, hunting in general, and all manner of gun stuff. Unfortunately, he wasn't there as a camera jock/reporter. Just stopped by to see what all the hubbub was about.

Tx Dogblaster
02-28-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't care what anyone says! I would so rock n roll with that pink AK.

We had a shoot last July or August and it was all men. I took the pink one just for shits & giggles. EVERY guy there was all over it like white on rice. It was SO not what I expected. I fully expected to be razzed about it all weekend and in fact, just the opposite happened.

Tactical45
05-28-2012, 09:52 PM
BF, what do you do for a living? If you'd rather not post here, you can e-mail me.

Bluntforce
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Herding cats would be the best way to describe it. I live on a farm, I have goats but not for money. They are someday supposed to be butchered and the hides harvested, for now they feed coyotes and a-hole dogs. I help the neighbors with harvest and livestock problems to be a good neighbor.

AKM-47
06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
My first AK was a Romanian underfolder and now I'm hooked

Tactical45
06-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Sorry BF, should have been directed to HAZMAT.

Bluntforce
06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah. They were reporting on the fun show; how long it had been going on, how long we were there that weekend, what you could find, and of course a shameless plug for the show itself.

You can tell the difference of different reporters and networks. The guy I mentioned earlier works for the local Fox affiliate. I work a machine gun shoot at the Sturgis Rally, and have for the last 4 yrs. Last summer, a knuckle head from the local NBC station came by to do a report. Oh my God. The kid was scared half out of his mind. Tried to point him to where people were shooting the cool stuff so he could include it in his report, and when he went on air that night, my wife commented to me 'What the hell did you do to that poor kid? He was scared shitless doing that report.' My reply was 'Nothing we didn't do any other time of the day. Couple of bowling ball shots, lots of Ma Deuce, a smattering of automatic rifles and sub guns, and a little bit of Star Target (like Tannerite) thrown in. In other words, a normal day at the Shoot.' Even the Anchor Jerk noticed it. While the report was good, I wonder what we'dve got if the reporter wasn't a wuss.

Coincidentally, the guy who did the funshow report showed up this last year at the Shoot. We had a good talk about prairie dogs, hunting in general, and all manner of gun stuff. Unfortunately, he wasn't there as a camera jock/reporter. Just stopped by to see what all the hubbub was about.

There's an annual machinegun shoot at Wyandotte here in OK, every June. Going to it next year, this year too if I can.

Bluntforce
06-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Sorry BF, should have been directed to HAZMAT.

Not a problem, I'm thinking about the Police Academy or oilfield camp, one opens neat training opportunities the other actually pays.

Tactical45
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I used to go to the full auto shoot in Knob Creek, KY. They have it twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Age?