PDA

View Full Version : Ordering Saiga in a few days..couple questions

cfec2008
01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Hello Everybody, I am brand new to this site, so Ill tell a little about myself real quick. Im anything but a democrat. Im from Tennessee. In my 20's, closer to 30. Im originally an AR guy. I built one completly from the ground up, meaning I bought everything and put it togther. So I know all about the AR.

THEN shot my buddys Romanian SAR and Ive had the AK bug ever since. I Have read and read and read and read and read about the AK online the past two weeks. I think that I have decided to order a Russian Saiga, and then convert it my self. I like to tinker, and I believe it will help me understand a lot more about the rifle if I convert it. I know its nothing like building one completly, but Im dont have the tools to do all that.

Id like to have yalls opinion on my doing the conversion. AND Im having some trouble deciding what caliber I should order. 5.45 is sooooo cheap to shoot the dirty stuff. I like the bigger cal of 7.62 and on the other hand I have three AR that shoot 223, so I guess I could keep the same cal with the AK so I dont have to be buying differnt ammo all the time.
Last of all, what is the best conversion kit? I know a lot of people say carolina shooters supply kit is good, but also read at some point in the last two weeks that theres one part I should get from somewhere else. Just cant remember what part that was. I want a kit that will give me the parts to install that will leave the bolt open on last shot, a hogue or ergo grip, and kinda like the angled trigger guard.

I know I just wrote a small book, so I apoligize for the long post. I am really looking forward to the suggestions I get on here. And I appreciate it in advance. Thanks a lot!!!