PDA

View Full Version : A Remington AR-type that uses gas

Gunreference1
01-12-2012, 08:32 AM
New from Remington Defense: R5 RGP Gas Piston AR-15

Posted on January 11, 2012 (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/new-from-remington-defense-r5-rgp-gas-piston-ar-15/) by Nick Leghorn (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/author/foghorn/)

Remington Defense is the military focused branch of Remington firearms which produces products that may never be seen on the civilian market. They make firearms like the Remington ACR, the XM2010 sniper rifle, and now the R5 RGP (Remington Gas Piston).

All we have to go on is a page on Remington’s website which appeared a few days ago (http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Carbines/RGP.aspx) and what’s in their 2012 catalog, but it seems to be a monolithic upper (or full carbine) in 5.56 NATO with a gas piston operation based at least in part on the ACR. Also included is an ambidextrous charging handle and AAC blackout flash hider for attaching AAC silencers. The website only lists NFA length barrels (10.5 and 14.5 inches), but of all the products on Remington Defense’s website this seems the most likely to be available to civilians.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/foghorn/new-from-remington-defense-r5-rgp-gas-piston-ar-15/

Steve

Solidus-snake
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Thats pretty darn cool, but I hate to see the price tag it would have.... $3k maybe?

Helen Keller
01-12-2012, 05:18 PM
That uppers nice,

Wonder if they offer in anything other than 5.56

j.parker
05-08-2012, 07:00 PM
ruger just came out with a piston ar for under 2k but the ar was not made for piston the bolt needs the gas pressure to stay closed for that fraction of a second while chamber pressure dies down and the carrier starts to move theve had the piston kits since the 70's and they do not offer many benefits especially in semi autos if you want a piston ar get a sig it was made from the groung up to work with the piston from the ground up all these companies are doing is retro fitting gas ar's with piston kits unless your running suppressors and want to dial down the gas to keep quite or have a full auto and want to control the fire rate a semi auto has almost no benefit from a piston it was designed for gas impingement and my gas drivin bushmaster does not jam or miss fire these 2-3k piston rifles do the same thing as my 800$ bushy does its a waste of money and a scam dont fall for it

NewbieAKguy
05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
ruger just came out with a piston ar for under 2k but the ar was not made for piston the bolt needs the gas pressure to stay closed for that fraction of a second while chamber pressure dies down and the carrier starts to move theve had the piston kits since the 70's and they do not offer many benefits especially in semi autos if you want a piston ar get a sig it was made from the groung up to work with the piston from the ground up all these companies are doing is retro fitting gas ar's with piston kits unless your running suppressors and want to dial down the gas to keep quite or have a full auto and want to control the fire rate a semi auto has almost no benefit from a piston it was designed for gas impingement and my gas drivin bushmaster does not jam or miss fire these 2-3k piston rifles do the same thing as my 800$ bushy does its a waste of money and a scam dont fall for it

First, welcome to the site. And two, and no offense intended, but punctuation is our friend. It's a bit hard to read your posts....like one long run-off sentence.

Schuetzenman
05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm enjoying my piston converted AR middy that I built. It offers plenty of advantage, it's called no dirty bolt group. Bolt and carrier can be taken out of the weapon and held in your hand after a 30 round mag dump. Try that with an impingment AR bolt carrier and call the burn unit for skin grafts afterwards.

The pistons also elongate the cycle process and allow the cases to shrink away from the chamber walls in short barreled AR rifles. This is not the case in impingment short 16" barreled AR 7" gas system carbines. The most chronic problem is broken extractors or rims ripped off in 7" gas sytem weapons, you don't get that with piston.

On the Sig weapon, fine weapons and derived from the AK design only refined to have better accuracy. There are 10's of millions of AR rifles in the US, I don't think people can say tat about the Sig 556 or it's variants. Parts availability is not even close to that of an AR. STill it is a fine weapon and I would not mind owning one, plan to eventually.