PDA

View Full Version : Build ~vs~ Buy

Moebrown20
08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Do you prefer to build or buy your Rifle and/or Pistol?

I know the AR platform is almost entirely modular, but it is still a build.

The two biggest advantages of buying are convenience and cost.

The most common drawback to buying is that it is likely not going to be exactly what you want.

Those who have built one know that one is never enough :tommygun:

Which do you prefer?

Discuss

alismith
08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
I am forced to buy what I want, rather than build, as I have no metalworking stills at all. At least, I'm smart enough to know this and save a lot of money and heartache.

Moebrown20
08-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I built my first AK with a tig welder, dremel, torch, hammer, 3 clamps and a flat bender.
It cost me 150 bucks for the flat, rails and bender in 05'. It still works.

slamfire51
08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I've built AKs and ARs.
ARs are too easy. An 8 yr. old can build one if he can read and set a torque wrench. Kinda like LEGOs.

Aks are more of a challenge. You can build any configuration your heart desires with minimum tooling.

I buy only when building is not possible.

ATAK, Inc.
08-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I've built AR's in the past, but like it was said, it's pretty much a no brainer.

When I get back to Idaho, after ordering a few NODAK receivers, I'm all set to build my first AK's.
First off will be a Romy G, kinda my learning how to do it build.
Second will be a Polish U/F, just love the underfolders, specially the Polish!
Third, I have a pristine Bulgy AK-74 kit that is getting converted to a left side folder.

Once started, I'll do a build thread to show my progress!

AKTexas
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
It depends on what I want.

I have not tried to build an AK,maybe it is time to try.

I'm gathering the tools needed to build my lowers up.I will buy the uppers complete.

slamfire51
08-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Once started, I'll do a build thread to show my progress!

By all means, do.

ATAK, Inc.
08-17-2010, 10:57 AM
By all means, do.

When I get back I have the final assembly to do on my homemade free standing 12 ton press, both manual and air driven. Total cost is about $60.

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
I've only bought complete weapons for the most part.

But I am about 1/4 into an AR build. (That is I have the lower and lower parts kit.)
I like that there are so many after market options that you really can tailor your AR to exactly the configuration you want, and even save money compared to having one built to those specs for you.

I also like being able to buy the components piece meal for a few bucks here and there. Makes it an exciting long term project.

mriddick
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
So far I've built various rifles up from bare receivers, 03A3, M98 mausers, M1, M1A, AK, AKM, AK74, AR, FAL, G3 and a couple of my own design. I've only done a couple of pistols mostly 1911's.

It is an enjoyable hobby.

Citizen Pain
08-17-2010, 12:15 PM
I've only built ARs, I bought everything else. I prefer to DIY, but for me, it's not always practical. Someone locally was talking about walking me through a FAL build, maybe I should take him up on it.

Blacksmith
I build strictly for the quality.
I am able to control not only the receiver type, but the headspace, rivet work and finish.

Bluntforce
:think2:

According to Wikipedia the extraordinary lethality of the original chambering of the M16 was due to a manufacturing oddity. The machines cutting the rifling were supposedly worn out such that the average bore had a 1 turn in 14 inches with some being as great as 1 turn in 18 inches.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Does anyone make a custom barrel with such rifling?

Moebrown20
08-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I've only built ARs, I bought everything else. I prefer to DIY, but for me, it's not always practical. Someone locally was talking about walking me through a FAL build, maybe I should take him up on it.

I think my next build will be a Fal.
Some time during the spring.

hazmat
08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I haven't bought an AK in around 3 yrs, but I've built several. One thing that always appealled to me was the fact that by building, you could get exactly what you wanted, the way you wanted it and there was noboby to blame if anything went wrong but yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still on the hunt for a SLR-107UR for that x39 Krink project. Kind of the best of both worlds, like my Draco SBR.

abpt1
08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
when I got the funds I buy .

O.S.O.K.
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
There's another "option" that could have been on the poll - "convert".

I've built 13 AK's, 3 AR's and converted three Saiga's to pistol grip config.

I enjoy building/assembling but I also like to purchase a good quality assembled rifle :)

I'm probably done with building AK's - the cost is about the same as many of the sale prices on quality rigs...

If I want another AR, I'll be an assembled one though - just too easy and you save $100-200 or more...

slamfire51
08-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I just shipped out 30+ AK barrel stubs from pistol conversions I've done. There are many more thrown away or laying around. This type of converting is some what different than say, Saiga conversions, but not saying these type conversions are easier.

I've slowed down converting lately because of medical problems. I have built a custom (the way I want it) AK rifle from a Romy kit lately. Just needed another rifle and couldn't afford to buy.

Just saying, if you haven't built, give it a try.

hawk1911
08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I build to: save money, allows me to sort of purchase a gun on lay-a-way since it could be piece by piece, and you get exactly what you want. You also become very familiar with the platform in general which to me makes trouble shooting any other similar weapon easy.

I do however purchase more often these days since parts kits are dried up or not worth the price to me.

Moebrown20
08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah, some kits are getting expensive and harder to find.

American Rage
08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Well, I was going to build, but it came down to the fact that it didn't make sense to tool up for 1 rifle. If you plan to own multiple ARs, I say build. If you only want another, I say buy.

By the way, if you buy your uppers and lowers seperate, I've heard you'll save money b/c the feds tax completed rifles at the factory. Ain't completed, ain't no tax.

I bought a S&W lower with a DPMS parts kit from a local dealer, then ordered an Armalite mid-length gas system, with a double lapped, chrome lined barrel, and standard A2 sights. Total cost was around $540 for the Armalite upper and $255 for the assembled S&W lower. I love it!!! My only complaint is that the handguards could be of a little higher quality (they warmed up more than any other AR I've ever owned, still they worked).

It seems to be very accurate and is a pure pleasure to shoot. Also, I enjoy its simplicity when compared to my higher tech MP15T with its battery operated Eotech and magnifier.

Rage