PDA

View Full Version : WTB AK 47 rifle, price range 300 - 500 (where an AK should be priced)

mobetta8
01-16-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm not a collector, I dont want your "ultra rare" AK priced like it shoots DD chested virgins out. I want an AK for the reliability and am looking for a good quality rifle that I can depend on to protect my life and my family. I want an AK that will run for the rest of my life. This will be my first AK but i have done research into the systems. Don't want your WASR or (anything from century really)... I need good value and not interested in gambling with my money (or life in a situation).

I'm currently looking for Mak-90s almost exclusively for their higher quality features; chrome lined and heavier barrel, thicker 1.5 receivers, smooth double hook trigger, and overall fit. If you have a Mak-90 I would prefer the straight cut receiver or slanted so i have more stock options. Will consider any AK with similar qualities.

Also considering (secondly) AK pistol in a pistol. would prefer ak 74 in 5.45 but will consider 47 in 7.62 (know most are in 7.62). For an AK pistol, I'm mainly looking at functionality and quality build. AK pistol same 300-500

send email to skimaskskimo@gmail.com

deth502
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
:welcome::funny-post:

mobetta8
01-17-2012, 04:12 AM
:welcome::funny-post:

Thanks this is a pretty cool site, I've learned a couple things about AK's already from here

El Laton Caliente
01-17-2012, 07:00 AM
Welcome to the board!!!

Nobody is making a production 5.45x39 pistol and the parts kits to build one run as much or more than your price range. The Bulgarian Krink kits run close to a grand or more. You can get a AK74 kit and cut the barrel down, but kit, barrel cut & re-crown and receiver are going to run the $500 or more. Let alone tooling up for the build.

The MAK90 is a good choice. That was my first AK purchase. $500 is the low end of the going rate right now unless you run into a real steal of a deal. It happens. I'd also look for a SAR1 as another choice.

jloneill
01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I think your price range is good for an AK, but Mak-90's usually run from 600-700. I think a Sar-1 or maybe a used Yugo would fit into your price range. Check out atlantic firearms. Where a price should be and where they are can be two different worlds.

mobetta8
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
yah I have been seeing very few AK 74 pistols. I was considering 74 pistol because I in a thought it would shoot with a higher velocity and be more accurate then 47 in a pistol. I've found a couple MAKs for 500 but they were both slant cut and I hear ironwood is the only way to go with them. I've heard people say sar1 a couple times. I'm going to try a gun how.

O.S.O.K.
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Here's what you are looking for: http://www.classicarms.us/saiga.htm

They have a converted Sagia 7.62 for $459. Hard to beat that.

Now, you may want to reconsider the WASR - the 10/62 model (Classic sells these too) is a very good AK - and for less money.

I have one of the underfolder models and it's a great shooter.

mobetta8
01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
how do you feel about the underfolder, they looked nice and sparked my interest but a lot of people dont like the stock at all and claim it to be very uncomfortable.
Your opinion please.

O.S.O.K.
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
how do you feel about the underfolder, they looked nice and sparked my interest but a lot of people dont like the stock at all and claim it to be very uncomfortable.
Your opinion please.

I have found it to be just fine. But that is totally subjective. The thing is the stock afords the ability to create a very compact pistol config too, so you need to weigh the benefits. I would not say that the UF stock is as comfortable as a fixed stock but it certainly doesn't hurt to shoot or anything.

Heres a youtube of me shooting mine - not exciting but shows the carbine in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBwsMZWlVHQ

That music is from one of the board's member's group - Year of the Moth. :)

As you can see, my shoulder is well padded, so take that into account...

I will say that this 10/63 is the nicest Romanian that I've ever purchased - and I've bought quite a few. Nicer than the old SAR series IMHO.

mobetta8
01-17-2012, 06:32 PM
cool video, music was awesome nice job year of moth I really enjoyed the song. Are you prior service?

O.S.O.K.
01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks. No, not a vet. When I graduated from HS, VN was all too fresh in our memories. My Dad, an AF vet asked all three of us (me, my two brothers) not to go military. Times change. My son is on his way to the AF Academy next year pending final acceptance.

mobetta8
01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
got cha, was just wondering because of how you used the sling... dont see many do that outside of military.

jloneill
01-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Your opinion please.

I've never had a problem with my underfolder. They don't seem any less comfortable than shooting my wood stocked arsenal

deth502
01-18-2012, 07:14 AM
since no one else will say it, i find the underfolder uncomfortable.

its not painful, the ak really dosent generate the recoil to hit you too hard with it, but trying to get a cheek weld isint the best.

not that i have anything against the underfolder,. i love mine, but if i only had one, id go fixed (of course, after you buy the first one, THERE WILL be more.)

another idea is to get a fixed and pick up a romy side folder stock, its interchangeable with the fixed stock, so you can have it both ways (although i will agree that the side folder is no where near as cool as the underfolder, but youll still get the compact package)

abpt1
01-18-2012, 08:08 AM

its not painful, the ak really dosent generate the recoil to hit you too hard with it, but trying to get a cheek weld isint the best.

not that i have anything against the underfolder,. i love mine, but if i only had one, id go fixed (of course, after you buy the first one, THERE WILL be more.)

another idea is to get a fixed and pick up a romy side folder stock, its interchangeable with the fixed stock, so you can have it both ways (although i will agree that the side folder is no where near as cool as the underfolder, but youll still get the compact package)
Yeah agreed once that steel starts digging in your shoulder your shots go to hell ....

mobetta8
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM

Maybe for a second build then. i though about buying a draco and turning it into a sbr... maybe a under folder for that system? Anybody have a draco in that configuration?

O.S.O.K.
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
got cha, was just wondering because of how you used the sling... dont see many do that outside of military.

Actually, using the sling while standing is considered bad form in the military. At least, when I shot NRA high-power rifle, which is military style shooting, the rules didn't allow for the sling for shots taken standing - only for prone and kneeling/sitting. That has always confused me as I find that the sling, combined with "proper" 90 degree angle stance provides a very steady shot. Perhaps it's the fact that there can be very little time to dick around with slinging up when you are shooting from standing - in combat. So, teaching men to sling-up while shooting from standing could in fact, get them killed. From cover, you have more time and can make proper use of it.

I'll let the guys that have served and gone through basic training explain the situation.

Helen Keller
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I was considering 74 pistol because I in a thought it would shoot with a higher velocity and be more accurate then 47 in a pistol.

Don't even think about it.

Ask Olympic arms whats happened last time .

mobetta8
01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Actually, using the sling while standing is considered bad form in the military. At least, when I shot NRA high-power rifle, which is military style shooting, the rules didn't allow for the sling for shots taken standing - only for prone and kneeling/sitting. That has always confused me as I find that the sling, combined with "proper" 90 degree angle stance provides a very steady shot. Perhaps it's the fact that there can be very little time to dick around with slinging up when you are shooting from standing - in combat. So, teaching men to sling-up while shooting from standing could in fact, get them killed. From cover, you have more time and can make proper use of it.

I'll let the guys that have served and gone through basic training explain the situation.

I'm prior service Marine Core and we shoot with 2 different styles... we do range shooting and we do separate combat shooting, both use separate techniques.

mobetta8
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Don't even think about it.

Ask Olympic arms whats happened last time .

Why not? Id like to know as I have seen 74 pistols around on the net. I was thinking 5.45 would be much more accurate in the shorter barrel.

Helen Keller
01-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Why not? Id like to know as I have seen 74 pistols around on the net. I was thinking 5.45 would be much more accurate in the shorter barrel.

CAUSE

ONCE the fucking ATF catches on AK74 pistols are being made in quantities they will ban importation of all that cheap ammo, steel core or not.

mobetta8
01-21-2012, 01:35 AM
CAUSE

ONCE the fucking ATF catches on AK74 pistols are being made in quantities they will ban importation of all that cheap ammo, steel core or not.

and the draco and mini draco and other 7.62 shooting pistols are not?

El Laton Caliente
01-21-2012, 11:31 AM
That's what killed the cheap imports of 7.62x39. The only surplus right now is Yugo which is brass cased, jacketed and lead core.

mobetta8
01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
That's what killed the cheap imports of 7.62x39. The only surplus right now is Yugo which is brass cased, jacketed and lead core.
got cha