PDA

View Full Version : CZ 82

sisyphus
08-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Took my first look at one of these babies today and was impressed with its ergo's and the 12-rd mag. Checking the bore I noticed NO RIFLING!!! The guy told me that's the way they all come standard.

I tend to think he doesn't know anything because I've only seen flareguns, shotguns and zipguns come that way.

Am I wrong?

videodon
08-17-2010, 07:33 PM
The CZ82 has polygonal rifling.
It's normal.
No worries.
:)

Dr. Gonzo GED
08-17-2010, 07:36 PM
It's "polygonal" rifling, and that is normal on the cz82.

Aparently 9x18mak is verry accurate with that type of setup, and it has a greater longevity than normal rifling.

sisyphus
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, I'll be...........so it's like the Glock's? I've seen how those look but this one appeared to be completely smoothe with no spiral lines or anything.

They want about $215.00 (used) OTD with 2 mags and a holster. Nice piece and tempting, but I'd have to start-up stocking and loading for yet another caliber.

videodon
08-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, I'll be...........so it's like the Glock's? I've seen how those look but this one appeared to be completely smoothe with no spiral lines or anything.

They want about $215.00 (used) OTD with 2 mags and a holster. Nice piece and tempting, but I'd have to start-up stocking and loading for yet another caliber.

If you haven't shot one...or even own a Makarov or Makarov caliber gun,
I recommend highly! Get in there and do it!!
You won't regret!

jojo
08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
I agree with videodon. You will not regret it and the ammo is pretty inexpensive compared to most other calibers. They are surprisingly accurate and built like a tank:naughty:

sisyphus
08-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Guys, I really appreciate the input, info and opinions. It helps a lot to have people you can go to when you're in the dark.

I went and got it today during a break from work. Like everything else from Czechoslovakia I've seen, owned or shot, this is a well made piece of hardware. It's the best fitting grip of any hi-cap I've seen as well, but that might be due to the relatively petite cartridge size. Both mags took 12 rounds of .380, which I used just to make sure they worked OK. The 4 rounds of Mak ammo I have cycled through the action well too.

It looks like the holster's from there, but it's marked for "CZ 75/85". I had to knife a sliver of leather off both sides of the oversnap so it would fit through the hammer and grip horn space and snap to the thumb break. Works great now.

Ordered a die set and am trying to get some 95 gr FMJ plateds ordered as well. There are a little over 200 brass I counted in my pile of range pickups, so that won't be a problem starting out.

All the ammo I've priced online is commercial and the reloadable stuff is about 20 bucks for 50. Local shop has Fed/Am. Eagle FMJ for 30 bux a box. They can keep that. There used to be a lot of cheap kommie surplus ammo sold in tins some time back. Has that stuff dried-up? I can't find it anywhere except for the Bears and Wolf, which seems high for berdan pistol ammo.

Broondog
08-19-2010, 12:24 AM
glad you like your '82. i seriously love mine. so much so that it it my nightstand pistol. highly accurate and very dependable. i have never had a failure with any of mine.

if you look real close you will be able to see just a bit of rifleing but it does elude the eye. it puts just enough spin on the bullet but almost zero drag making for greater efficiency and outstanding accuracy of the round. add in the fixed barrel and you have, IMO, one of the supreme handguns of the world.

Steyr also employed virtually the same setup (polygonal rifleing and fixed barrel) in its GB model 9mm pistol. those are also highly accurate and a joy to shoot. i love both of mine.

as far as ammo goes, i have run Wolf, S&B, CCI Blazer and Fiocci target rounds thru my '82 but the best i have found so far is the Barnaul 94gr FMJ. it's very consistent and very accurate. for HP's i use Silver Bear 95gr. good stuff too!

Widener's sometimes has the Barnaul and also sometimes the tins of ammo that you are looking for. if you can get the Barnaul you won't be sorry.
http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|829|836

sisyphus
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for that input Broon. From all the posts here and those I see elsewhere it must be a great weapon. Most kommie items I've bought are well worth the money, provided you can use them (ammo, parts, etc.) and Czech items are up at the top for quality and value.

I checked Widener's and they're out of the Barnaul, so I ordered a case of Brown(?)Bear from Aim at 20 cents shipped. Guess I gotta get my old brain up to date on ammo prices because I was still hoping for a dime a round or so. I'm figuring about 13 cents if I reload the brass I have with TMJ plateds and Wolf primers.

Once again, thanks to everybody for the help and guidance.

videodon
08-19-2010, 10:52 AM
... Both mags took 12 rounds of .380, which I used just to make sure they worked OK. The 4 rounds of Mak ammo I have cycled through the action well too...

I hope you're really not firing .380 (9x17) from your 9x18 (Makarov) CZ-82!!!

sisyphus
08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
I hope you're really not firing .380 (9x17) from your 9x18 (Makarov) CZ-82!!!

NO!.........Definitely not. I only had 4 rds of the X18 to fit into the mag, so I subbed .380's only as a way to see if the mags were able to take the full capacity. One of the mags has straight walls on the sides and the other is dimpled at the bottom 1/4 of the mag. It looked like it could have been one of those ban-compliance mags like we saw during the Klintoon years, where the follower might stop short of full capacity because of those dimples. No worries though. They must've made them in two versions.

videodon
08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
NO!.........Definitely not. I only had 4 rds of the X18 to fit into the mag, so I subbed .380's only as a way to see if the mags were able to take the full capacity. One of the mags has straight walls on the sides and the other is dimpled at the bottom 1/4 of the mag. It looked like it could have been one of those ban-compliance mags like we saw during the Klintoon years, where the follower might stop short of full capacity because of those dimples. No worries though. They must've made them in two versions.

I see. kewl.

sisyphus
08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
I found some Silver Bear HP's for a little over 27 cents a round today. Much better than the 60 cents that "Ben-Dover Guns and Ammo" would have charged for that Fed FMJ, and it was the only other 9 X 18 I could find anywhere locally.

I'll be going out into the sticks to test drive the new baby tomorrow and give a report.

sisyphus
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
You're right.........it's a joy to shoot. Glad I only brought as much ammo for it as I did or I would have shot it all up. My .380 PA63 is pretty accurate but it smacks the joint at the base of my thumb so much it really hurts to shoot more than a couple of mags full. I expected this 9 X 18 to do domething like that, but probably due to the wide backstrap on the CZ, it's very comfortable. I can see why people rave about it. The cartridge isn't a .45 ACP, but nothing else I have will give as much power with the mag capacity in so small a size.

It hit a softball-size target at 12 paces with regularity. Surprising, given the kinda mushy single action trigger pull. Double action is much smoother than my PA63 too.

I'm sold!

hawk1911
08-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Im loving mine, all I have shot through it is silver bear HP. Its so easy to clean too. Here is a picture of mine.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/Hawk1911pics/cz82001.jpg

sisyphus
08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Im loving mine, all I have shot through it is silver bear HP. Its so easy to clean too. Here is a picture of mine.

That looks to be in a little bit better shape than mine. It has some slight holster wear on the edges and a few scratches on the grips. No matter..........if I have my way, by the time I've gotten my use out of it, mine will look even more well worn I'm sure.

Sweet pistol there!

hawk1911
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Thank you sir, it feels even better knowing I only paid $125 for it. Now just have to get some extra mags, that unfortunatly looks a bit pricey as far as mags go.

sisyphus
08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Thank you sir, it feels even better knowing I only paid $125 for it. Now just have to get some extra mags, that unfortunatly looks a bit pricey as far as mags go.

I saw an ad this week where they're going for 160 bucks in "GOOD" shape, and they go up from there. Only 1 mag comes with them though and no holster. It looks like the mags are going for 30-40 bucks at the places I've seen them. Those are milsurp, and that's the only way to go in this case.

You got a great deal on that one Hawk.

sisyphus
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
My Brown Bear ammo arrived today and it looks like good kommie stuff alright. Lacquer cases and shiny FMJ copper-flashed lead core steel jacket bullets. That Silver Bear in HP's I bought locally worked very well for me. Anybody used the B.B.? I don't doubt it will function fine as well, but just thought I'd get an opinion or two. I've never used any ammo that came from kommie countries that didn't go bang and work great in their platforms, but we're only talking 7.62 X 39 and X54R in my experience.

sisyphus
10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
The wife just took her carry class last night and I found another CZ82 for $325 with 595 rds of Wolf ammo (the guy's throwing in another 100 rds he just found in his stash, for 695 rds total) and some other goodies with it. Gonna go pick it up tonight. The pic shows finish wear on the trigger guard and front strap, but is said to be in otherwise great working order.

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Interestingly enoug, the mags are caliber interchangeable. They will feed the 82 or the 83. If you need new mags, you buy 83 mags without any modification.

Of course, the chamber is not interchangeable... O.O

TheMrMitch
10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
A lesser known variant of the PA-63 is the AP9. This pistol is almost completely identical to the PA-63 except for the fact that it is chambered in 9x17mm (.380 auto).

Which do you have?