PDA

View Full Version : Sight in Distance and Accuracy for AK47 with UTG 5th Gen Scope

Colonel_Kudzu
01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Guys, I have tried to do my homework, but I can not find a topic relative to this question. I would like to know what other AK47 owners do in the case of sighting in a scope on their rifles? Is zeroing in for 100 yards a standard? if so, what is the expected grouping? I have tried varying distances, and still I am not satisfied with my particular results. The best I have done at 100 yards is a grouping ranging approx 4" - 5". I am using Tula Ammo, 7.62 X 39mm, 122 gr, FMJ. I have a UTG 5th Generation R/G reticle 3 X 9 40mm power scope, using the side mount with the Picatinny top rail.
Any comments or suggestions would be welcome as I am new to the AK47. In any case, I do love the all purpose use of this weapon, and plan to stick with it. Thanks, Colonel

videodon
01-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome!
4"-5" at 100 yards is about all the average AKM will do.
(open sights)
:)
Seriously, it's not a target rifle...at least for me it's not.
Enjoy the addiction!

Colonel_Kudzu
01-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Welcome!
4"-5" at 100 yards is about all the average AKM will do.
(open sights)
:)
Seriously, it's not a target rifle...at least for me it's not.
Enjoy the addiction!

You Bet! I do enjoy AND love the AK. As I wanted a more versatile weapon and the AK does all I could ask for. Believe it or not, I have not even sighted through the iron sights. When in the service (American) I shot with the M-14, using the old "Peep Sight" at 300 yards. Now, age and bifocals have caught up with me, and it was either a scope or ACOG sight. BTW, Thanks for the comment. I am considering dropping to 75 Yards since the point of impact on the bullet would be +/- 1" from 50 to 150 yards. Can't beat that! Colonel

imanaknut
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

There is a good chance you can get slightly better using better ammo, and if you really want a little more, have the muzzle recrowned.

One has to remember that Mr. Kalashnikov designed his rifle to shoot an 8 inch group at 150 yards, and thinking about what it's intended target is, 8 inches will do the job nicely.

That said, I have an SAR-1 that I put a POSP scope on that I also get about a 4 inch group at 100 yards from a rest using cheap ammo.

Colonel_Kudzu
01-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Guys!

That makes me feel a whole lot better. I appreciate each comment and I definitely see the overall picture now, thanks to you.

I will do some tightening maybe in the future. Right now, I am going to continue enjoying the gun.

Colonel

archivist dick
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Colonel Kudzu, perhaps I can assist in the matter of figuring a sight-in distance for your rifle with optical sight.

Why not do this as the old Red Army would?

If you have access to a safe shooting spot or "range," set a large cardboard target out at 100-yards PLUS ten paces. This would be the rough equivalent to 100-meters, the range the Russians used to use for zeroing AKs and AKMs back in the day.

Your target should have a horizontal mark 10-inches above your point-of-aim, and a vertical mark dividing the field into two equal parts. Where they intersect is where you want to place the carbine's "center-of-impact." Savvy? Yeah, it will take several groups to get there but it's worth it. The Ivans customarily put up sets of four shots till this coincidence was accomplished.

Simply adjust the scope till the holes fall equally above-below and right-left of the intersection and you are "there." Parenthetically, this procedure is great for setting your iron sights: be sure to pull your rear leaf setting up to "3" or back to its rearmost "pointblank" setting before getting down to work.

Where is "there?" It is you rifle's battle zero, i.e. dead on at 300-meters (330-yards). It will take some trigger time for you to figger external ballistics inside that distance, yet that is part of the fun of it all.

Hope this helps.

El Laton Caliente
02-09-2012, 01:10 PM
In a 7.62x39 AK the best I've done is a 20" barrel MAK90 with a 8x52 Russian Scope. It does a little more than 3" to 4.5" depending on ammo (all factory) at 100 meters from bench rest.

The .223 rifles do a little better.

Rolling your own ammo with USA powders & .311 bullets should get better results. Com-block ammo tends to have looser spec's in bullet weights and powder.

Colonel_Kudzu
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Archivist dick, I will take your suggestion the very next time I go to the field. I do have 125 meter available, so I will recalculate for a 100 meter sight in. I know the Tula is supposed to be cheap ammo, but I will just have to achieve my sight in with it. I don't mind the varied inacuracy because of the cheapness. However, I now realize that a 4" grouping at that distance is not that bad, and it makes me feel a lot better.
Thanks for your comment and suggestion.

Colonel_Kudzu
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
In a 7.62x39 AK the best I've done is a 20" barrel MAK90 with a 8x52 Russian Scope. It does a little more than 3" to 4.5" depending on ammo (all factory) at 100 meters from bench rest.

The .223 rifles do a little better.

Rolling your own ammo with USA powders & .311 bullets should get better results. Com-block ammo tends to have looser spec's in bullet weights and powder.

Thanks Laton, As I posted previous to this one, I will still do my sight in with the Tula. I haven't advanced to loading myself. Actually, my goal with the AK-47 has not only been met, but exceeded. The more I shoot the little Babe, the more I like it. Thanks again.

El Laton Caliente
02-09-2012, 05:20 PM
An AK was designed to be minute of man at 200 meters.