PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about the Colt XSE RG.

El Jefe
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Was looking at one of these today at Boggs Creek. Seemed like a nice piece.

Any of you guys own one? Opinions?

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm..... nothing?

Well I guess it's neither here nor there now because I bought it.
Mine is a Government model, w/match barrel, in SS, with rosewood grips.

No pics yet, but here's a link to what I bought...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q7-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx#

AKTexas
08-18-2010, 12:51 PM
http://three-dog.homelinux.com/cpg15x/albums/userpics/10018/normal_Colt_1911.jpg

Here is mine but no rail.

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
http://three-dog.homelinux.com/cpg15x/albums/userpics/10018/normal_Colt_1911.jpg

Here is mine but no rail.

Awesome! Mine looks just like that except it has the built in rail for a light or whatever.

I also picked up 200 rounds of ball to practice with and 50 rounds of HP's for zombies.

I think it's purtty. :handgun:

AKTexas
08-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Awesome! Mine looks just like that except it has the built in rail for a light or whatever.

I also picked up 200 rounds of ball to practice with and 50 rounds of HP's for zombies.

I think it's purtty. :handgun:

This one is a safe queen.

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
This one is a safe queen.

I'm gonna shoot the hell out of this one, plus it'll be my night table gun.

So, AK, what's been your experience with yours? Have you felt the need to improve the trigger or anything else?

AKTexas
08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm gonna shoot the hell out of this one, plus it'll be my night table gun.

So, AK, what's been your experience with yours? Have you felt the need to improve the trigger or anything else?

Just fine out of the box,no hiccups,jams etc.The only thing is that my Taurus 1911 shoots tighter than the Colt and the colt chunks the cases forward instead of to the right of me when I shoot.Makes for recovery of the cases a pain.

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Just fine out of the box,no hiccups,jams etc.The only thing is that my Taurus 1911 shoots tighter than the Colt and the colt chunks the cases forward instead of to the right of me when I shoot.Makes for recovery of the cases a pain.

On this one the trigger doesn't feel too bad, a touch of creep, and a little gritty, but that might be because it's never been fired. I figure after a couple hundred rounds at the range I'll know if I like it or not. If not I'll have em start with springs and stuff till I do like it.

AKTexas
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
On this one the trigger doesn't feel too bad, a touch of creep, and a little gritty, but that might be because it's never been fired. I figure after a couple hundred rounds at the range I'll know if I like it or not. If not I'll have em start with springs and stuff till I do like it.

I still have less than 200 rounds in mine.

El Jefe
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I still have less than 200 rounds in mine.

How long you had it?

AKTexas
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
How long you had it?

Maybe 4 years now.The Taurus was my first 1911 and this one was bought a little later on.

Hondo
08-19-2010, 09:32 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/barrytm1/P1010738-1.jpg

Here is my non-rail version (yeah yeah I know John Browning is rolling over in his grave :rolleyes:)

I kept the original sights, I thought about Novaks but the Champion's that came with it are working fine. The stock trigger wasn't that bad but my gunsmith basically threw in the trigger job for free and replaced it with a "short" STI when I had the bob job done.

The one thing that really bothered me was the "duckbill" (hey thats what the guys at the 1911 site call it) grip safety it was not comfortable at all to me so that was replaced with a Ed Brown.

The pistol has been very reliable for around 500 rounds now and that is shooting everything from Federal Hydrashok down to CCI Blazer.

The above group was done with Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart at 15 yds.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
That's a good looking pistol Hondo.

What are your grips made of, wood, something else, what?

Hondo
08-20-2010, 06:26 PM
That's a good looking pistol Hondo.

What are your grips made of, wood, something else, what?

Thankee, that pistol is going to be buried with me, I'm taking it with me when I go!

The grips are VZ's Desert Sand Double Diamonds, made out of Linen Micarta. I highly recommend them.

Arnulf
08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
How much $ are they?

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Thankee, that pistol is going to be buried with me, I'm taking it with me when I go!

The grips are VZ's Desert Sand Double Diamonds, made out of Linen Micarta. I highly recommend them.

Phenolic?

Hondo
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
How much $ are they?

$65 plus shipping, $70 for the bobbed cut

Phenolic?

Yep, same thing resins filled with linen then pressure formed into sheets.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 11:05 PM
$65 plus shipping, $70 for the bobbed cut

Yep, same thing resins filled with linen then pressure formed into sheets.

I gotcha, just wanted to be sure I understood what the material was. Dang, those should be ultra rugged and impervious to any and all elements. I like the look too.

Hondo
08-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I gotcha, just wanted to be sure I understood what the material was. Dang, those should be ultra rugged and impervious to any and all elements. I like the look too.

they are very durable however you can get into quite an internet catfight about which blend Micarta is better paper, linen, or canvas. A friend says canvas is best because it is more durable and I'm like "dang just how much durablility does your grips need just to go the range ?" :D

El Jefe
08-21-2010, 01:46 PM
they are very durable however you can get into quite an internet catfight about which blend Micarta is better paper, linen, or canvas. A friend says canvas is best because it is more durable and I'm like "dang just how much durablility does your grips need just to go the range ?" :D

I would think the only way to damage it would be by using it as a hammer, because it's somewhat brittle, or by burning it with a torch. Yeah, I doubt it matters much, they're all tough. Hell, considering how hard rosewood it, I think you'd have to work at it to tear mine up.

:)