PDA

View Full Version : Draco and suppressor

ChirpinSquirrel
01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Seeing as how my AR15 post kinda just redundancy'd itself I thought I would ask here.

I am taking the plunge to the draco world and want to suppress it (I know it isn't a good host). I figured if the threads are not concentric and are 14x1LH that I can get a barrel extension for maybe 1 inch and thread that to 5/8x24. Would that solve the thread issue? Is there enough meat on an AK profile barrel to get to 5/8x24?

Would silver solder be an acceptable way of attaching one permanently. I plan on silver solder so I don't ruin my future suppressor, and have the ability with some work to pull it off and clean it and reattach.

Or if there are any better ideas as to suppressing a draco, I'm all ears as this is a learning experience, even if it happens 6 months from now.

BTW I plan on attaching the suppressor permanently so I can attach a buttstock and have my own non-SBR in my non-NFA state.

slamfire51
01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Seeing as how my AR15 post kinda just redundancy'd itself I thought I would ask here.

I am taking the plunge to the draco world and want to suppress it (I know it isn't a good host). I figured if the threads are not concentric and are 14x1LH that I can get a barrel extension for maybe 1 inch and thread that to 5/8x24. Would that solve the thread issue? Is there enough meat on an AK profile barrel to get to 5/8x24?

Would silver solder be an acceptable way of attaching one permanently. I plan on silver solder so I don't ruin my future suppressor, and have the ability with some work to pull it off and clean it and reattach.

Or if there are any better ideas as to suppressing a draco, I'm all ears as this is a learning experience, even if it happens 6 months from now.

BTW I plan on attaching the suppressor permanently so I can attach a buttstock and have my own non-SBR in my non-NFA state.

Question!!
If you live in a non-NFA state, how are you going to legally possess a suppressor?

ChirpinSquirrel
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Suppressors and AOW are allowed, sadly nothing else

slamfire51
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Suppressors and AOW are allowed, sadly nothing else

Ah, you must be a resident of Washington state.

As far as the silver solder options, I never like attaching anything to to the muzzle by soldering. First, the solder's melt point HAS to be between 1200-1400 degrees to be legal. This may cause harm to the barrel itself.

As far a threaded AK barrel diameter goes, it's .550".
If you have a mike or caliper, measure the barrel diameter on the Draco.
5/8" threads are .625". If your barrel dia. is less than that, you are out of luck unless you can find a threaded adapter somewhere.

ChirpinSquirrel
01-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Very informative. Yes I'm a washington guy and hopefully all this bs should be turned around this year.
So a barrel extension is out because of said .550. I saw 1x14LH thread suppressor by none other than Red Jacket Firearms. Depending on some research as to the quality, how can I make the threads concentric? Or am I boned if they are not?

slamfire51
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Very informative. Yes I'm a washington guy and hopefully all this bs should be turned around this year.
So a barrel extension is out because of said .550. I saw 1x14LH thread suppressor by none other than Red Jacket Firearms. Depending on some research as to the quality, how can I make the threads concentric? Or am I boned if they are not?

There are TATs (thread alignment tool) that are used with the die. This keeps the threads concentric to a great degree. I'm not sure how precise they are as far as threading for a suppressor.

You might ask some of the guys in the NFA forum here.