PDA

View Full Version : Somebody doesn't understand what two little letters (SP) mean.

imanaknut
01-24-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270871139

Also that the underfolding bayo attachment has been cut off don't offer a clue.

This is one reason to really pay attention and understand what you are looking at. Just because it says "AKS-762" doesn't mean it is worth what the book says, but this seller either doesn't know it, or is a scam artist, or just a capitalist hoping to catch someone that doesn't pay attention.

Helen Keller
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
:joker:

probly bid on it himself.

Last one of those I got for $300 in better shape.

El Laton Caliente
01-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Got one just like that. I have the red bakelite side folder sock set & an u/f bayo half installed sitting in a drawer at the house...

hazmat
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I saw that one last night whilst doing a little GB wandering. Man I can't believe what they're asking for MAK 90s these days. Most I saw were over 6 bills. Although I did see a PT for a steal.

l921428x
01-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Just askin? What does the SP mean?

El Laton Caliente
01-25-2012, 07:07 AM
'Nut can correct me, but those were very early ban models that were trapped in customs when the ban went into effect. "SP" IIRC is special meaning modified.

TB215
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Just askin? What does the SP mean?

It means SPORTER which means it is a postman, has American parts, and is half the value of it pre ban brother.

imanaknut
01-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Yes, the ones "caught in port" during the start of the Bush1 ban were quickly stamped "SP" which was supposed to show that they were sporting weapons that met the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment as opposed to just a rifle.

They had their bayo locking devices cut off and some had a barrel nut or some cover tack welded to the front sight to prevent the installation of that evil baby killing, sun destroying flash hider.

The "SP" and later "Sporter" just indicated that the rifle met the non-existent, feel good clause of the unconstitutional Gun Control Act. The fact that they were marked as such, and the one in the auction also has just the remnants of the underfolding bayonet latch show that the seller really doesn't know what he is talking about.

A little research goes a long long long way.

TB215, in the case of the Chinese AK variants, they never needed US parts because they met the first version of the sporting purpose clause by having the bayo attachment removed, barrel unthreaded or threads blocked by some welded on device, and that infamous Bush-hole stock.

Later, ATF decided that if you modify any imported rifle from their as imported condition at that point you must lower the imported parts count to no more than 10 to meet the new sporting purpose clause.

The funny, sad stupidity of the ATF sporting purpose is that originally the Bush-hole stock was ok so the rifle could be imported with 100% imported parts, but later they decided that it too was considered a "conspicuous pistol grip". I wondered that if the Bush-hole was a pistol grip, then removing it and installing a seperate pistol grip and butt stock, was that not "making an assault weapon" but just changing the configuration of an approved weapon with like named parts. ATF responded with hems and haws, and finally decided that even though they considered a real pistol grip a pistol grip, and a Bush-hole stock a pistol grip, that changing them would require lowering the parts count to the 10 maximum even though by their definition it was not "building" a new rifle.

I really wish that since ATF has no idea how to enforce the parts count stupidity, and have never used it against someone knowing full well that they would get laughed out of court, why they don't just remove it?

insider
01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Sucker Punch?