PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the difference between a pre ban and postban Hungarian AK?

im_n2_vws
01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
A buddy of mine is going to be selling me his Hungarian AK. It is marked made in Hungary and was imported through TGI. I think it had AEG or something like that on the reciever? Just curious what this might be worth and how to tell if it is post ban or preban? Thanks,

Danny

Richard Simmons
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Do you know what the model is? Here is a link with info on various AK models that might help.

http://www.ak-47.net/infocenterindex.php

im_n2_vws
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
It says FEG on the side, and SA 2000M on the bottom of the reciever.

Richard Simmons
01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
It says FEG on the side, and SA 2000M on the bottom of the reciever.

I had one of those and it's a single stack design that takes hard to find and crappy mags.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/sa2000m.php

I had probably 10-12 mags at one time and probably 1/3 wouldn't feed properly. Aside from that the gun functioned beautifully and the workmanship was beautiful. I ended up opening mine up to take standard AK mags, putting on an Ironwood Designs maple stock set and installing a RedStar trigger group. Probably the sharpest looking and sweetest shooting AK I ever had, bar none. Mine was gift from my wife back when CDNN was selling them for around $220 or something along those lines. If the one your looking at is still in it's stock, single stack configuration I'd pass on it unless you can modify it or the price is good enough that you can pay to have it modified and brought up to the required number of U.S. parts. I probably had less then $500 in mind including what my wife paid for it and IMHO it was worth every penny.

imanaknut
01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't remember any pre-Bush1-ban Hungarians other than the SA-85M and those were imported by Kassnar. All others are post-Bush1-ban.

im_n2_vws
01-26-2012, 03:48 PM
It accepts standard AK style mags, I just tried one of mine in it. I gave him $460 because he needed the money and I had it. He will probably be buying it back in a month or so when he gets back on his feet.

Sergi762
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
any chance of pics?

BlueFletch
02-10-2012, 09:46 PM
∙∙∙ a SA-2000M that is.
Bought it in '98 or '99 at the Middletown NY gunshow for I believe $300.
Replaced the fuggly import allowed stock with a US made replacement from K-Var.
Also replaced the commie rear sight with a Williams peep.
It is the most accurate of my AK's ALTHOUGH it does have trigger slap.
Did all the tricks required to eliminate the slap but after ruining and replacing the secondary sear and other parts, still slaps.
All new (polished) trigger parts.
Magazines (Hungarian single stacks - NOT Romanian as they are not interchangeable so I hear) were a problem, got a couple from CDNN, later they were out and got ripped off on one from an internet search, later CDNN got more back in stock so ordered a couple more so that rifle you have had to be modified if it accepts "real" AK mags.
I have too much into it to ever get my money out of it so I'll just keep it.

im_n2_vws
02-11-2012, 11:45 AM
When you say trigger slap, What do you mean? I did notice that the trigger didn't want to reset a couple of times. How do you post pics on this site?

BlueFletch
02-11-2012, 12:45 PM
By trigger slap I mean when you pull the trigger back and the gun goes BANG! that the trigger actually smacks the pad of your trigger finger.
My other AK's don't do this, only this one but as I said, this one shoots the tightest groups.
To post photos you click on Reply to thread, scroll down to Manage attachments click and from your photos, pick the one/s you want to post.