PDA

View Full Version : Was the original furniture on the SAR series Romanian or US?

was_peacemaker
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I was kind of wanting to put the traditional Romanian style furniture on my SAR-1. I still see the furniture sets with the wooden forward pistol grip and such. Thanks to things like the silly parts count rule...I was wanting to make sure I wasn't replacing any USA parts with foreign ones.

imanaknut
01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
The pistol grip was US made, the stock and handguards were Romanian.

was_peacemaker
01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
The pistol grip was US made, the stock and handguards were Romanian.

Cool! One other question...will the East German side folder fit a Romanian?

Helen Keller
01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
YEP

imanaknut
01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Adding to what Helen Keller said, all European side folders will fit on the Romanian AKM (SAR series).

was_peacemaker
01-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Sweet...but if I Bubbafy it with a JB weld or tack welded bayonet lug...would that essentially make my lug USA made? LOL Or would that mean I would have to add another US stock piece?

Gunshow coming up and I am brainstorming...and dang it..I am tired of not having a bayonet on my AKM!

I had one of those tapco folders but I was not a fan of it, so that is why I was asking about the EG one.

Schuetzenman
01-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Bayonet lugs aren't countable parts.

imanaknut
01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Actually when Mr. K. heard that the Soviet military added the bayo lug to his rifle, his remark was something like: If your enemy is close enough to need a bayonet, and you are out of ammo, turn the rifle around and use it like a club.

The man believed is stout weapons!

was_peacemaker
01-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Actually when Mr. K. heard that the Soviet military added the bayo lug to his rifle, his remark was something like: If your enemy is close enough to need a bayonet, and you are out of ammo, turn the rifle around and use it like a club.

The man believed is stout weapons!

That is funny! LOL I was joking about the JB weld. LOL Though I am thinking about TIG welding both sides of the lug up, and then filing it down to size. My barrel isn't threaded so I would have to use a pin on type break which is "meh". Yet, I would really like to get the EG folder, and Romy forward grip on this thing.

ATAK, Inc.
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I was kind of wanting to put the traditional Romanian style furniture on my SAR-1. I still see the furniture sets with the wooden forward pistol grip and such. Thanks to things like the silly parts count rule...I was wanting to make sure I wasn't replacing any USA parts with foreign ones.

I have all the original wood off of my SAR-1. I stripped and re-finished with tung oil to a satin finish.

raxar
01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
That is funny! LOL I was joking about the JB weld. LOL Though I am thinking about TIG welding both sides of the lug up, and then filing it down to size.

that's what century did to the wasr-10's that they converted after the awb sunset.

was_peacemaker
01-27-2012, 07:23 PM
That is funny! LOL I was joking about the JB weld. LOL Though I am thinking about TIG welding both sides of the lug up, and then filing it down to size. My barrel isn't threaded so I would have to use a pin on type break which is "meh". Yet, I would really like to get the EG folder, and Romy forward grip on this thing.

How did it turn out? The original finish on mine was that Commie orangeishredish color. Now its cracking and chipping.

was_peacemaker
01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
that's what century did to the wasr-10's that they converted after the awb sunset.

Are you serious?

Helen Keller
01-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Are you serious?

:lool:

Yep. was nothing to see lugs on a gun that looked like it was done in a mud hut, the wasr I had needed serious dremel/file work to the lugs to even get a bayo on.

raxar
01-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Are you serious?

as helen keller said that's how they did it. They also stuck on the foreign made slant brake permanently so you have to use the crappy american made follower in the mags.

while I'm on the subject has anyone figured out how to get those stupid things off other than cutting it in half? hitting it with a torch didn't even help.

Helen Keller
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
they are pressed on then welded ,be careful and just cut it down one side.