PDA

View Full Version : Current AK crop buyers guide?

nralover
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Hello Gents,

I was a board member long ago, I joined again to get reacquinted.

I am in the market for a good quality AK rifle. Does anyone know a webpage with the rundown on current rifles available on the market, including prices? I'd like to keep things under 1000.00...

I'd like a classic looking AK with wood furniture, and I love the milled receiver though it isn't a must. I also love the Galil rifles, but I am not sure if there is such an animal to be purchased. Any direction would be appreciated....

El Laton Caliente
01-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Welcome back to the Board!!!

Atlantic Firearms has some of the best current offering at good prices. The various boards including this one can give you reviews when you narrow down your options. The Saiga convertions give you a true Russian built AKM and the offerings built on NoDakSpud receivers are generally the best of the USA built rifles. You can also check Copes (one of the sponcers), Centerfire Systems and JG Sales.

Century is making a Golani Galil at very reasonable prices, however SOME people have had problems typical of Century. They do seem to be doing much better builds these days. I have two of their Golani Galils, one 16" and one 18" and have been please with them. I find I hit well with the rifles and have had no problems at all. I have a converted IMI Hadar in .308 also and can tell you the originals have much better fit and finish.

www.assaultweaponsofohiollc.com is still making the Ohio Rapid Fire Galil receivers (that is who bought the company when Todd, ORF owner, died), but I don't know if they are still building complete rifles.

imanaknut
01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Agree that you should check with Atlantic Firearms as they seem to have a nice selection of the current crop of US built AKs.

O.S.O.K.
01-28-2012, 05:08 PM
:welcome: back to the board!!

If Saigas interest you then check http://www.classicarms.us - they have them for $319 a pop right now.

nralover
01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Agree that you should check with Atlantic Firearms as they seem to have a nice selection of the current crop of US built AKs.

They have a huge selection, but which of them makes a good traditional style rifle? It seems that most of the ones people rave about are only assembled with plastic stocks...

What about this for instance?

http://centerfiresystems.com/akagun-pol.aspx

imanaknut
01-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Belated welcome !!! :welcome:

Actually most builds that Atlantic sells can be trusted, and Atlantic has a fantastic customer service so if you have problems, they will stand behind what they sell and help you out.

The best thing I can recommend is to just look over their selection, and pick out the one you like the most. The thing about the AK variants is that if you don't like the stock set, you can always change them. If it is the wood that isn't exactly to your liking, it is very easy to refinish it to make it to your liking. I have been known to show up at our range with the same rifle (usually an SAR-1) with a different stock set each time, making me feel like I have a new rifle when in fact it is over 10 years old and has fired over 13,000 rounds!

Again, find one you like, and call Atlantic and discuss with them anything similar that they might recommend. Blaine, the owner is a really nice guy and I believe he can be trusted to help you make a decission. Also let them know you are a member here. They used to give some kind of discount to Gunsnet members.

imanaknut
01-28-2012, 11:55 PM
To add, the one from Centerfire is nice, if it was in stock, but anyone can have problems these days maintaining inventory.

One thing, many AKMs use a form of plastic for their pistol grips. Only a very few use wood, the main ones being the Chinese which are currently banned from importation due to a government who doesn't believe in our constitution. You can always add a wood grip later on, but just expect anything you buy to have a plastic pistol grip.

service rifleman1
07-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Hello there. I was checking out the offerings at Classic Arms and they have a Romanian AK for $499. It says that this gun is from the Cugir plant in Romania. I was wondering if this is a well made AKM model with good reliability and manufactured to high standards. Regards.

El Laton Caliente
07-27-2012, 01:51 AM
The Romanians are pretty much your standard family sedan of AKs. Not flashy, but they work. They make a good starter AK. Very few buy just one once they start... it's an addiction, but you'll find out.

filthy phil
07-27-2012, 04:49 AM
check the zastava pap
i'm getting one,$700,built like a tank