PDA

View Full Version : Norico or Polytech?

TB215
01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
I picked this up a few weeks back from a really nice guy. I was gonna buy his Legend but as we talked I could tell he really did not want to part with it so I told him to keep it and asked him if he had anything else to sell. He gave me this for $1200. The gun is in mint condition and has only 100 rounds through it. I bought it because I love spikers.

Is this GSAD a Norinco or Polytech????

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/PhillyFlathead/CHICOM%20KALASHNIKOVS/IMG_0313.jpg

imanaknut
01-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Can't tell from the picture. :D

What is written on it? That is the only way to know. The wood does seem a bit dark for a Poly Tech, but with the Chinese, the only rule was there were no rules, so it could be anything.

insider
01-29-2012, 12:21 AM
I thought GSAD was pre-Norinco, or Polytech?

TB215
03-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Can't tell from the picture. :D

What is written on it? That is the only way to know. The wood does seem a bit dark for a Poly Tech, but with the Chinese, the only rule was there were no rules, so it could be anything.

Only thing written on the receiver is GSAD Manhattan Beach, CA.

Did some further research and found out some were used as movie props for the early to mid 80's movies such as Missing in Action, Rambo, and other Vietnam War movies.

If they were movie guns, does shooting blanks cause wear, tear, and damage?

imanaknut
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Only thing written on the receiver is GSAD Manhattan Beach, CA.

Did some further research and found out some were used as movie props for the early to mid 80's movies such as Missing in Action, Rambo, and other Vietnam War movies.

If they were movie guns, does shooting blanks cause wear, tear, and damage?

Blanks won't hurt a thing as they usually are too week to even cycle the action. Even if really powerful blanks were used to cycle the action and make it look like the rifle was actually shooting, I doubt you could hurt any AKM since nothing is going down the barrel that could cause major wear. Also, many full auto scenes in the movies are done on computer to make it look like full auto.

In reality, it is most likely the rifle is Norinco even though it doesn't say it where you can see it. Check the barrel very carefully as they were sometimes stamped in really really tiny letters.

Usually the really early ones were marked something like AK-47/S because the Chinese were trying to start selling in the US and our news media called the rifles "AK-47s", so that is how some were marked. I am surprised there isn't a caliber marking, but again, see my first quote about Chinese AK variants. :D

DennyB
03-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Yes, GSAD is Golden State Arms Distribution based in CA with many locations. Here's a good Chinese AK id site,click on Importers on the right side, has all of them:

http://www.chicom47.com/

DennyB