PDA

View Full Version : SAR 1 from Virginia

billdncn
01-29-2012, 03:00 PM
After owning many AR's over the years this is my first AK. I hope to be back sometime with a range report

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/004-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/011.jpg

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Nice looking SAR1 you have! I have one almost that nice. They are one of the great shooter AK's. The only usual problem is sometimes the Century trigger group isn't to spec. If you have that problem, a replacement G2 trigger group from Tapco is the ticket.

Welcome to the Board!!!

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Nice looking SAR-1 you have there!

Many people complained about how the SAR series rifles looked when they came into this country. I would reply that if you want pretty, buy a Weatherby, but if you want the only AKM imported into the land of shall not be infringed that was a true military issue AKM, the SAR is the only one that fits the bill. All other AK variants were commercial rifles to be sold in the USA as well as elsewhere, but the SAR was actually used by the Romanian military as a training rifle before being issued the select fire AKM.

Depending on what year your SAR-1 is (the last numbers of the serial number, ie: "99" is for 1999, and the 2000 - 2004 should be obvious) the stock sets were finished differently. Many looked like they were either brush painted in lacquer or dipped in lacquer, but that only made them easy to sand and polish into a glass like shine that would be the envy of any Weatherby. I have done several, treated them like the old automobile lacquer where you lightly sand the rough edges out, then wet sand and polish giving them an amazing glass like finish.

Or you have your choice of thousands of stock variations, but personally, I like wood on my AK/AKMs but the options are limited only by how much you want to spend.

Enjoy your SAR-1 as well as this website!!!!!!

btcave
01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Pretty!

ninner
01-29-2012, 05:04 PM
The only thing you may have to worry about is trigger slap. I know it was a real problem with mine. It can be fixed in a few minutes on a grinder. Instructions are readily found on the internet.

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
The only thing you may have to worry about is trigger slap. I know it was a real problem with mine. It can be fixed in a few minutes on a grinder. Instructions are readily found on the internet.

I had put maybe 1,000 rounds through my SAR1 when it suddenly developed severe trigger slap...

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Funny thing about trigger slap, I have found that cutting down the bottom of the disconnector so that it doesn't hit the trigger works perfectly. I tried out my first Tapco G2 trigger group yesterday on a bubba-special MAK-90 and it slapped my finger silly. Had to wear gloves to shoot it. Too bad that one of the previous owners replaced the perfect Chinese fire control group with this finger breaker just to satisfy a stupid law which says US parts make a firearm angelic.

Richard Simmons
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome to Gunsnet Bill and congratulations on your first AK!

ninner
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
I had put maybe 1,000 rounds through my SAR1 when it suddenly developed severe trigger slap...
Mine did it right out of the box.

insider
01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
That is one nice looking SAR, congratulations!

billdncn
01-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. The guy I bought it from said he experienced no trigger slap... We'll see. I have heard of the Tapco G2 and mine would be a single hook. I'm in the market for a replacement buttstock as I think mine is butt ugly. I will also be threading 14X1mm LH for an AK slant comp as my barrel dia is .556
Everyone have a good Monday

Bill

billdncn
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Hit the range after work today and only fired 60 rds. SAR 1 seems good to go. 10 shot groups @ 25yds offhand with TulAmmo were coming in under 2.5". Don't know if this is good, bad or just so-so with this model AK and ammo combo.
This gun is a blast to shoot... But I guess most of you know that already.
On the way home I stopped and checked out an Arsenal SGL21? I was very impressed with the fit and apperance. They were asking $820. Is this about right?

Bill

O.S.O.K.
02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
A belated :welcome: to the board!

Check that price against those listed here: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com You do need to consider things like shipping, FFL transfer fee and for the other one, having to pay local sales tax (which you don't if you order on-line and the site is in another state...).

If that SGL has a side-folder stock, it looks like that'd be a great price.

BTW, you can install either a single or double hook fcg in your SAR.

imanaknut
02-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Not bad for an SAR-1 with cheap ammo. Most people don't realize how accurate the SAR-1 is. I have shot 4 inch groups off a rest with mine at 100 yards using a POSP scope on the side mount. I have put well over 13,000 rounds through it before my shooting buddy went away to college. Shooting by yourself is fun, but once you have done that father/daughter shoot, it isn't the same. If you shot 2.5" off hand you are doing great!!!

O.S.O.K., the SAR-1 is not set up for a double hook trigger, but I have installed one in my SAR-1 by modifying the bottom of the second hook so that it fits inside the receiver without having to modify the trigger hole in the receiver. (trigger hole?)

That Arsenal is a nice rifle! Just don't get rid of your SAR-1 or you will regret it. ;)

billdncn
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM
A belated :welcome: to the board!

BTW, you can install either a single or double hook fcg in your SAR.

Thanks O.S.O.H.
The trigger was fine today. Does the double hook have a better/smoother pull? The stock trigger feels pretty good to me. I would like to know though incase it starts to get weird.

Thanks again

imanaknut
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Timing is everything. Read my comment about the double hook.

Also, not all the Century fire control groups were junk. I have several SAR series with original parts in the trigger group. The old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My favorite saying in regard to changing parts you don't have to change: save your money. :D

Of course I have also been known to pull the disconnector out of a new Century rifle and grind the bottom down just to make sure that it doesn't contact the trigger. I have also polished the contact surfaces to give a nicer feel, but they will wear in over time anyway.

ATAK, Inc.
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Welcome to Gunsnet Bill!

I got my SAR-1 in August of 2001 and have never had a problem with it. The first 1k of ammo went down the pipe without cleaning... don't think it's clean right now:lol:

Mine can pepper a paper plate @ 100 yards, if I do my part. I ended up converting it to a left side folder and it's now my "Khyber Pass" rifle.

This pic is from its AK-103 days, now sporting wood and a slant.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_0250.JPG

billdncn
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Refinished my wood. Buttstock was the ugly orange tint with brushed on finish. Handguards weren't too bad. All wood matches much better now I think....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/003-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/002-1.jpg

Still needs a little more steel wool and then finishing coat. Then satin sheen... maybe

billdncn
02-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks imanaknut.

Nice SAR-1 ATAK, Inc.
I temporarily installed a Tapco folder but could'nt come to terms with it. Too long length of pull for one. I love the traditional look myself. Do you have pics of yours with the wood?

Won't be long before I go ahead and get a die and alignment tool to add a slant comp. myself

Thanks

billdncn
02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Here you can see the grain of the hardwood a little better, I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/006-1.jpg

insider
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Not bad for an SAR-1 with cheap ammo. Most people don't realize how accurate the SAR-1 is. I have shot 4 inch groups off a rest with mine at 100 yards using a POSP scope on the side mount. I have put well over 13,000 rounds through it before my shooting buddy went away to college. Shooting by yourself is fun, but once you have done that father/daughter shoot, it isn't the same. If you shot 2.5" off hand you are doing great!!!

O.S.O.K., the SAR-1 is not set up for a double hook trigger, but I have installed one in my SAR-1 by modifying the bottom of the second hook so that it fits inside the receiver without having to modify the trigger hole in the receiver. (trigger hole?)

That Arsenal is a nice rifle! Just don't get rid of your SAR-1 or you will regret it. ;)
Can you show some pictures of that trigger mod, I really prefer the double hook, but I don't want to mill out the trigger hole.

insider
02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Here you can see the grain of the hardwood a little better, I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/006-1.jpg

That looks awesome! Get a brown US Palm grip for it and you will have it all matched up.

imanaknut
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
I used a dremel to grind the bottom of the second hook where it hit the receiver. I am from the school of you can remove metal but don't want to thing about having to add metal, so I ground a little off the bottom of the hook, installed in SAR-1, removed some more, and continued until it cleared. At first I was expecting to run out of metal, but there was enough left that I am not having any issues. Just kept looking at where it hit the receiver and removed metal where it was contacting.

Took off the scope and receiver cover. If you look at your double hook trigger and compare to the right hook of mine you should be able to see where I cut it down.

Unfortunately I would have to take the SAR apart to get the trigger out for a better picture. Sorry, but I wouldn't even do that for ATF. :)

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/DSC_2936_640x426_.jpg

Ezra Coli
02-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Nice to see SAR-1s getting respect. My first AK was a SAR-1, its in E. German chocolate brown plastic with a blue E. German sling. One of my all time favorite AKs and a real workhorse, at least (and this is a conservative estimate) 20 thousand rounds through it. Still a great rifle.

was_peacemaker
02-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Nice looking SAR-1 you have there!

Many people complained about how the SAR series rifles looked when they came into this country. I would reply that if you want pretty, buy a Weatherby, but if you want the only AKM imported into the land of shall not be infringed that was a true military issue AKM, the SAR is the only one that fits the bill. All other AK variants were commercial rifles to be sold in the USA as well as elsewhere, but the SAR was actually used by the Romanian military as a training rifle before being issued the select fire AKM.

Depending on what year your SAR-1 is (the last numbers of the serial number, ie: "99" is for 1999, and the 2000 - 2004 should be obvious) the stock sets were finished differently. Many looked like they were either brush painted in lacquer or dipped in lacquer, but that only made them easy to sand and polish into a glass like shine that would be the envy of any Weatherby. I have done several, treated them like the old automobile lacquer where you lightly sand the rough edges out, then wet sand and polish giving them an amazing glass like finish.

Or you have your choice of thousands of stock variations, but personally, I like wood on my AK/AKMs but the options are limited only by how much you want to spend.

Enjoy your SAR-1 as well as this website!!!!!!

You just made me a more confident in my SAR-1. Mine has always been a good shooting, tough reliable rifle.

Darrell
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Man, that's a good looking rifle...:thumbsup:

mrkalashnikov
03-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Refinished my wood. Buttstock was the ugly orange tint with brushed on finish. Handguards weren't too bad. All wood matches much better now I think....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/003-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/002-1.jpg

Still needs a little more steel wool and then finishing coat. Then satin sheen... maybe

Very nice.

My 2001 SAR-1 was my intro to the Kalashnikov platform. Many thousands of rounds and several add'l AK's later, it's still one of my favorite rifles.