PDA

View Full Version : ak collection

mousebones
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I want to start an AK collection but there are so many variations I dont know where to begin. what is the most sought after in regards to the country of origin. russian, romanian, polish etc

Partisan1983
01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
WELCOME !!!!

Paging 'Nut......

insider
01-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I hope you have unlimited income.

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Yougaddabekiddingme!!!!!

No, seriously the question is how much do you want to spend? The Chinese pre-ban (pre-George Bush the First-ban) are going up in price because of their scarceness and the fact that no more can ever be imported unless we get our constitutional rights back completely, which doesn't seem likely. If you have the money, check the going prices for the Poly Techs and early Norincos and after getting ideas as to what they truly are selling for, make the plunge. You really can't go wrong if you can find any Chinese for a reasonable price. Check Gunbroker for what are high prices these days. Note which ones are getting bids and which are not.

Post ban Norincos, from NHM-90, NHM-91, MAK-90 and 91, BWK-92 are just as nice as the pre, but just neutered to make Bush1 happy. Just steer away from any B-west Made in USA Norincos as some were ok, but most not, and there really is no way to tell them apart.

Many people like the Egyptian Maadis because they were made on Russian machinery, but the Egyptians didn't believe in making nice looking rifles, so the finish on them was horrible out of the box. The only true pre-ban Maadi would be a Steyr import ARM. All others were post ban. Again, having a Maadi in a collection is nice!

The Europeans run the gamut from the now Banned SAR series which were true Romanian military issue, the only issue AK imported into the land of shall not be infringed. There were earlier Romanians which were nice, and the current ATF approved WASR series which are hit or miss.

Bulgarian, Hungarian, all nice.

Russian, well unfortunately an agreement between the USA and the former Soviet Union, and still recognized by the current Russia are not importable. There are VEPRs and Saigas which are nice variants, with the VEPRs being more an RPK than an AK, and the Saiga able to be converted to an AKM look-alike.

Not to mention the zillions of now USA made AKs using USA receivers and parts from anywhere.

And that doesn't get into whether or not you want fixed, underfolder, or sidefolder, and which caliber, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 or 5.56x45!

Lots to choose from, suggest checking our different AK forums as well as the auction sites for ideas of the many variations that have been and still are available to those of us with rights that shall not be infringed, but have been.

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Now separately, my personal idea for "most sought after" would be the Poly Tech Legend series, milled receiver rifles that were billed as the closest thing you could buy to a true AK Type 3.

Next up would be the Poly Tech known as the double underfolder. They had underfolding stocks with underfolding bayos.

Clayco imports of Norincos were considered the first recognized import of an AK variant. Getting expensive by the minute, a Clayco (as they are known) are priced by collectors.

Norinco 56S fixed stock, 56S-1 underfolder, or 56S-2 are great collectibles, as well as the 5.56x45 versions, the 84S series.

Of the Egyptians, the Steyr Maadi was number one on the collector list.

After that, it is just what you want. Milled receiver Europeans are nice to have. Hungarian made FEG receiver versions too.

Speaking about the Hungarian, their only pre-Bush1-ban rifles were Kassnar imported SA-85M. All others were post-ban.

And the list goes on, how many do you want to own, and how much do you want to spend.

mousebones
01-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I guess there are a limitless number of variations and prices. I don't want to be serious in that I spend $1000 on one. I want what I can shoot that looks nice I guess. I'm in the process of adding various firearms to my collection and would like 5 or so ak's in the mix.

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 09:41 PM
If I could only buy 5 with a $1000 limit, I would have an AMD-65 sidefolder, a Yugo M70-AB2, try to find a Norinco 56S for under $1000 (still possible), then maybe an SLR-95, and possibly an SAR-1. You would then have a nice sample from several of the locations that sent AKs to the land of shall not be infringed.

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2012, 10:08 PM
I want to start an AK collection but there are so many variations I dont know where to begin. what is the most sought after in regards to the country of origin. russian, romanian, polish etc

Welcome to the Board!!!

LMAO! There was a movie where the kid walked into the gun shop and said "I want a big gun that holds a lot of bullets." The gun shop owner answered "Bless you my son."

My ambition in life is to collect 1/10th of the AK varients that have been in production!

'Nut likes, with good reason, the Chinese varients. I've been more of a collector of odd balls. Valmets, I think, are one of the greats. Yugos are beautiful. Galils run better than about anything out there. The snipers like the PSL and the Yugo M76...

Now start on the full autos which start at $15,000 these days.

Depending on your cash you can spend a quarter million on a collection and just be starting...

Question one should be what first AK fits my budget...

Welcome again... and bless you my son!!!

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I think I am going to make this a sticky, explained enough times I can't believe I haven't done it before.

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2012, 10:25 PM
If I could only buy 5 with a $1000 limit, I would have an AMD-65 sidefolder, a Yugo M70-AB2, try to find a Norinco 56S for under $1000 (still possible), then maybe an SLR-95, and possibly an SAR-1. You would then have a nice sample from several of the locations that sent AKs to the land of shall not be infringed.

I'd add a MAK90 or any of the early ban Chinese as some of the best factory shooters. Every once in a while a Valmet M71 or M76 shooter grade gets sold for under a grand, but warning, six mags can cost what the rifle did. I'm a fan of the Golani Galils, some have had trouble with the Century builds, but my two run great. Add a SAR2 or SAR3 to the list. Find a Yugo M72 Century build, a RPK is always nice.

This addiction is FUN!!!

El Laton Caliente
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I think I am going to make this a sticky, explained enough times I can't believe I haven't done it before.

Because we like to talk AK's...

Find this:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll228/ElLatonCaliente/Firearms/AMP69-1.jpg

imanaknut
01-29-2012, 10:31 PM
yup, made it a sticky to discuss the different variants available, what the differences are, and what each of us like and why.

You know, it is true that I don't mind explaining it over and over, because collecting the different variations is fun, but this thread will save my fingers!

Partisan1983
01-29-2012, 11:41 PM
If I could only have 5 different AK's

They would be.....

Milled AK in 7.62x39 (AK-47)
Stamped AK in 7.62x39 (AKM)
True RPK in 7.62x39
AKS-74
AKS-74U (Krinkov)

I don't own all of these. I love me some variants, but out of my list, I only own 2 of 'em.

ELC mentioned Valmets and Galils. They are both great, but I don't consider 'em AK's. They are completly different platforms/designs to me.

mousebones
01-30-2012, 08:07 AM
this forum is by far the most informative and unbiased I have been on about this subject. I guess asking about which AK would be most desireable is like asking about wanting candy that looks good and is tasty. the possibilities are endless. I had a green one before. I know that may mean nothing because I cant remember what model it was but I wish I would have never parted with it. I will note the fantastic 5 ak's and search for them at the gun shops here. I hope to acquire the other arms I am looking for at the same time. one salesman refered to what I'm doing as a bucket list so I guess that is my mission is to acquire my bucket list which includes the ak's. I'll post pics as I get them.

El Laton Caliente
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM
If I could only have 5 different AK's

They would be.....

Milled AK in 7.62x39 (AK-47)
Stamped AK in 7.62x39 (AKM)
True RPK in 7.62x39
AKS-74
AKS-74U (Krinkov)

I don't own all of these. I love me some variants, but out of my list, I only own 2 of 'em.

ELC mentioned Valmets and Galils. They are both great, but I don't consider 'em AK's. They are completly different platforms/designs to me.

Good list, but I'd have to disagree on the Valmet. IIRC, Finland was the first non-Soviet block country to officially license to AK47 which resulted in the M60 and M62.

O.S.O.K.
01-30-2012, 10:07 AM
:welcome: to the board mousbones

We are the oldest and original ak board - we were down for a while due to a legal dispute and lost some membership due to that - but they are slowing coming back :)

gpwasr10
01-31-2012, 12:50 PM
LMAO! There was a movie where the kid walked into the gun shop and said "I want a big gun that holds a lot of bullets." The gun shop owner answered "Bless you my son."

HAHA, that movie was Kuffs (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104647/). Can't believe I remember that.

mousebones
02-05-2012, 08:26 AM
I just had an offer to buy a preban chinese double underfolder and a hungarian from tgi on a nodak receiver. this is so froeign to me. I gotta look this up

El Laton Caliente
02-05-2012, 08:37 AM
The double underfolder is a true collector's piece. What condition?

mousebones
02-05-2012, 08:57 AM
dunno. I asked for pics. I'll post them when I get it.

l921428x
02-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I only have one but I think I chose well. It's a Yugo M70AB2 and a damn fine rifle.

mousebones
02-05-2012, 07:16 PM
he said he was getting it reblued. wouldn't this hurt the value?

imanaknut
02-05-2012, 11:17 PM
he said he was getting it reblued. wouldn't this hurt the value?

If you are talking about a pre-ban Chinese, yes getting it reblued would hurt it's collector's value, but if it was well used and in poor condition, it couldn't hurt.

Infectedflea
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Only have one in my collection, so far.. :)

It is a post ban NHM-90 converted from thumbhole stock back to underfolder. Bein technically a post ban I had to keep it 922r compliant, thats why it dosnt have original wood, figured I would make it to a bit more my style if I couldnt keep it original.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1smflu.jpg

Ranaldi
02-20-2012, 11:04 AM
If you would like an AK then there is nothing like the best. Here is a picture of my AK 47 Type II (1952) Original Russian Milled. Mmmmmmm I have a video over at youtube feel free to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCI97vu-CAU

Cheers

Richard Simmons
02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
While I guess it can't be considered an "AK" a nice copy of the Vz58 rifle would be a sweet addition to add to your collection.

Motorman
04-21-2012, 05:20 PM
This is a very informative thread.

Thanks

mousebones
08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
ok, I have 2 AK'S they are bulgarian arsenal and a century arms m70 underfolder.

Motorman
08-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Yougaddabekiddingme!!!!!

No, seriously the question is how much do you want to spend? The Chinese pre-ban (pre-George Bush the First-ban) are going up in price because of their scarceness and the fact that no more can ever be imported unless we get our constitutional rights back completely, which doesn't seem likely. If you have the money, check the going prices for the Poly Techs and early Norincos and after getting ideas as to what they truly are selling for, make the plunge. You really can't go wrong if you can find any Chinese for a reasonable price. Check Gunbroker for what are high prices these days. Note which ones are getting bids and which are not.

Post ban Norincos, from NHM-90, NHM-91, MAK-90 and 91, BWK-92 are just as nice as the pre, but just neutered to make Bush1 happy. Just steer away from any B-west Made in USA Norincos as some were ok, but most not, and there really is no way to tell them apart.

Many people like the Egyptian Maadis because they were made on Russian machinery, but the Egyptians didn't believe in making nice looking rifles, so the finish on them was horrible out of the box. The only true pre-ban Maadi would be a Steyr import ARM. All others were post ban. Again, having a Maadi in a collection is nice!

The Europeans run the gamut from the now Banned SAR series which were true Romanian military issue, the only issue AK imported into the land of shall not be infringed. There were earlier Romanians which were nice, and the current ATF approved WASR series which are hit or miss.

Bulgarian, Hungarian, all nice.

Russian, well unfortunately an agreement between the USA and the former Soviet Union, and still recognized by the current Russia are not importable. There are VEPRs and Saigas which are nice variants, with the VEPRs being more an RPK than an AK, and the Saiga able to be converted to an AKM look-alike.

Not to mention the zillions of now USA made AKs using USA receivers and parts from anywhere.

And that doesn't get into whether or not you want fixed, underfolder, or sidefolder, and which caliber, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 or 5.56x45!

Lots to choose from, suggest checking our different AK forums as well as the auction sites for ideas of the many variations that have been and still are available to those of us with rights that shall not be infringed, but have been.

This is one of the best explanations I have ever read on AKs. Wish I had read it when I first started my research. Thanks. http://www.gunsnet.net/images/icons/icon14.png

recon
08-11-2013, 09:02 AM
http://www.diffen.com/difference/AK-47_vs_AK-74