PDA

View Full Version : Norinco 56 Underfolder "bite"

cruisemissile
01-30-2012, 10:42 AM
howdy, newbie here.
I got a type 56 Norinco underfolder where the metal folding stock has left a "bite" mark on the lower wood handguard.
I can take off the lower handguard, maybe sand, polish out the bite.
however, I'm wondering why this happens?
is there a way to tighten the underfolder stock so that it prevents overtravel?
not sure if anyone else has run into this or has any other suggestions.
thanks.

imanaknut
01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Unfortunately just about every Chinese underfolder you can find, and many of the others will have dents in the lower handguard from the folding stock. Also unfortunate is the way they fold, there is no way to prevent that without welding and recutting the receiver slots, or add material to the stock locking pins, again by welding, and then grinding them into a new position to keep the stock from hitting the lower guard.

The big problem with modifying the stock part or the receiver is that if you screw it up, finding a replacement part is almost impossible.

I have several underfolders, and if my memory is correct, only one or two do not have those marks on either side of the handguard. In fact, there are a couple of folders that have a tang welded into the shoulder piece that hits the center of the handguard. It protects the sides, but can leave a mark in the middle.

cruisemissile
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Unfortunately just about every Chinese underfolder you can find, and many of the others will have dents in the lower handguard from the folding stock. Also unfortunate is the way they fold, there is no way to prevent that without welding and recutting the receiver slots, or add material to the stock locking pins, again by welding, and then grinding them into a new position to keep the stock from hitting the lower guard.

The big problem with modifying the stock part or the receiver is that if you screw it up, finding a replacement part is almost impossible.

I have several underfolders, and if my memory is correct, only one or two do not have those marks on either side of the handguard. In fact, there are a couple of folders that have a tang welded into the shoulder piece that hits the center of the handguard. It protects the sides, but can leave a mark in the middle.

thanks for the advise

stinker
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Just a thought, but perhaps a small strip of black felt or velvet glued to the metal part that hits the wood to soften the impact. Does'nt seem too overly bubba to me.

Otherwise i'd think of it as "the scratch" kinda like the mark left by moving the safety lever. Totally unavoidable.