PDA

View Full Version : How a father almost killed me at Cabelas last weekend.

cormac42
02-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Hello all:

As I strolled through the cabelas near my house loooking for AK ammo. I hear a father say to his son " Look you only have 200 dollars to spend. There is no way you can find a gun(his words not mine) for that price to go hunting with your buddies. your just gonna have to skip it and maybe next year." I rounded the corner to see a hefty young man and his father discussing the lack of firearms in the price range dad set.

I walked up and said "hey kid what you gonna be hunting." "my friends are all going hog hunting and invited me but I don't have a gun and they can't lend me one."
I said he was in luck that they have a rack of about 6 mosin nagant rifles on sale for 109.99. If 200 was his budget that left him more than enough for some surplus ammo to practice with. Kid gets my opinion on which to get ( chose a orginal 91/30 round over a hex because the Hex had serious bolt issues).

wasn't til the kid walked off I realized dad was giving me the stink eye. Turns out dad is very anti hunting anti gun anti second amendment. the 200 dollars was set in hopes he could not find a gun to hunt with as his friends assured him he could only find a .22 for that price.

I stood there speechless thinking oh crap this poor kid has nobody to teach him about guns. on my way out gave him the card of a local gun range that gives hunter safety classes and firearms education and told him " sorry to have screwed that up for you but the kid needs to learn about firearms if he gonna go hunting. And sorry for helping him with an addiction that will keep him out of jail, get him interested in politics, and give him something to do with his spare time." I swear that guy was gonna punch me in the face

cormac

Solidus-snake
02-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Well good on ya man, good job helping the kid out. Someone needs to teach these kids today the right lessons, as most of their parents are part of the brainwashed libtard crouwds being pumped out by the hundreds from todays schools.

abpt1
02-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Hello all:

As I strolled through the cabelas near my house loooking for AK ammo. I hear a father say to his son " Look you only have 200 dollars to spend. There is no way you can find a gun(his words not mine) for that price to go hunting with your buddies. your just gonna have to skip it and maybe next year." I rounded the corner to see a hefty young man and his father discussing the lack of firearms in the price range dad set.

I walked up and said "hey kid what you gonna be hunting." "my friends are all going hog hunting and invited me but I don't have a gun and they can't lend me one."
I said he was in luck that they have a rack of about 6 mosin nagant rifles on sale for 109.99. If 200 was his budget that left him more than enough for some surplus ammo to practice with. Kid gets my opinion on which to get ( chose a orginal 91/30 round over a hex because the Hex had serious bolt issues).

wasn't til the kid walked off I realized dad was giving me the stink eye. Turns out dad is very anti hunting anti gun anti second amendment. the 200 dollars was set in hopes he could not find a gun to hunt with as his friends assured him he could only find a .22 for that price.

I stood there speechless thinking oh crap this poor kid has nobody to teach him about guns. on my way out gave him the card of a local gun range that gives hunter safety classes and firearms education and told him " sorry to have screwed that up for you but the kid needs to learn about firearms if he gonna go hunting. And sorry for helping him with an addiction that will keep him out of jail, get him interested in politics, and give him something to do with his spare time." I swear that guy was gonna punch me in the face

cormac thats awesome I would have done the same thing !

cormac42
02-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I personally gave up hunting about 10 years ago cuz Im lazy but my love of all firearms (except ARs) knows no bounds. I was really just trying to help. Maybe the kid will hate hunting and never do it again. Maybe I have given him a life long passion that will carry him through tough times like myself and may others. never know til you try.

cormac

O.S.O.K.
02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Good on you. That kid has a lousy Dad IMHO. Probably doesn't like the BSA either because they don't let homosexual leaders in.

Partisan1983
02-02-2012, 12:06 AM
That's damn good of you sir :thumbsup:

Schuetzenman
02-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Hello all:
( chose a orginal 91/30 round over a hex because the Hex had serious bolt issues).

UM, are you saying that all hex receiver Mosin 91-30 rilfes have serious bolt issues or just one that was in the rack at Cabela's? I've owned a lot of Mosin Nagant rifles over the years, never had a problem with any Hex receiver rifles bolt. OTOH the round receiver 91-30 rifles have had quality issues as many of them were produced during WWII when Russia was fighting for it's exsistance against the Germans. Many short cuts were taken to maximize outpout of rifles during those years. The most common short cut was the rough milling on the round profile. Really crued chatter marks left and often even a seam where the half round mill didn't fully shape he receiver.

cormac42
02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I meant that that one hex they had left the bolt would not run. they had 5 round receivers and one hex. if I could have I would have swapped bolts because I prefer the hex myself but as it was the hex was inoperable and I could not see the internals to see why.

as to the 91/30 every one I have owned would great for me. YMMV

cormac

az_paul
02-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Good on you! I wish I had started shooting at a younger age.

Bobjr59
02-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Hello all:

cormac
Good going for helping the kid out and don't sweat the commie father anyone like that isn't worth your time

El Laton Caliente
02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I'd have taken the punch to do that...

Justin
02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm glad that you helped out the kid, hopefully his dad will convert over time. Just as a little side note though, did you show the kid how the safety works?

cormac42
02-11-2012, 11:44 AM
yes i showed how to use the safety.