PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Tapco Mag won't fit MAK90

TNAK
02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Bought what I thought was a Quality (Tapco)Plastic Mag and it doesn't "Click" In, in mine or my wifes MAK90's. The Tab that catches the release is too thick and won't pass the latch. I can fix it in just a few minutes but the reason I bought the tapco is I thought they where quality stuff! No? anyone else notice this?

imanaknut
02-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Don't feel bad, I tried to use a good old standard metal true European military AK mag in one of my MAK-90s just this past weekend and it wouldn't lock in either. Had to take a file to the tab on the back of the mag before it would lock in smoothly.

insider
02-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Don't feel bad, I tried to use a good old standard metal true European military AK mag in one of my MAK-90s just this past weekend and it wouldn't lock in either. Had to take a file to the tab on the back of the mag before it would lock in smoothly.
That's really strange, I have better lock up with the ribbed Euro mags than I do with the Chinese mags. As far as Tapco goes, stick with real AK mags, the aftermarket stuff is hit and miss, mostly miss.

imanaknut
02-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Actually one mag out of zillions isn't bad, just strange, and to be honest I wouldn't put it passed the possibility that the mag release on the MAK-90 isn't original as the rest of the rifle is a number match bubba job, one of those that I wish I asked more questions before buying it. Fortunately for the seller, once I commit, I usually don't change my mind, and the rifle is "un-bubba-able".

TB215
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Bought what I thought was a Quality (Tapco)Plastic Mag and it doesn't "Click" In, in mine or my wifes MAK90's. The Tab that catches the release is too thick and won't pass the latch. I can fix it in just a few minutes but the reason I bought the tapco is I thought they where quality stuff! No? anyone else notice this?

There is a video on YouTube that shows you exactly how to file down the tab on the Tapco mags to fit a Chinese AK. I did what the video said to do and my Tapco mags fits and clicks in perfectly.