PDA

View Full Version : need help with new grip

KalashniKid
02-03-2012, 07:46 PM
hello gentlemen, i am new to these forums and i recently acquired a wasr-10 due to my love of ak-47s (shot but never owned before) and decided to modernize it a bit and increase its shootability. heres my problem, i purchased a ati fiberforce stock kit, decided i hated the handgrips but loved the stock, so i bought some tapco fusion handguards and added a mako combination foregrip/bipod. as you can see from the pics it does not allow for standard 30rnd magazine insertion or removal with the grip installed unless you open it into bipod mode. does anyone else have this problem with adding grips to a ak-47 type weapon? does anyone offer a picitanny rail extender? i dont want to be limited to 20 rnd magazines.
thanks,

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1238
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1237

imanaknut
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

When it comes to AKs, I unfortunately am a purist, but it is your rifle and the beauty of the AK/AKM is how many parts are available to customize it.

As to mag issue, other than the 20 round magazine, don't forget those nice 75 round drums that have come down in price lately. :D

Hang around, there will be others here soon.

PS, start a photo album here on this site, and import your photos here in our gallery. , that would make it easier to post them. At least I can't see you pix.

KalashniKid
02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
thanks for the welcome. i love the classic design too i was very close to buying a norinco with the sweet sweet blonde dragunov styled thumbhole stock but the pawny shop wanted $700 for it and the condition was not that great. the wasr-10 on the other hand came ugly as sin with the cheapo dollar store plastic grip and poorly done furniture so i decided to go "black gun" with it for my first ak. the next buy will most definitely be a woody.

KalashniKid
02-03-2012, 09:26 PM
edited with new photos from here, ty for advice

stinker
02-04-2012, 12:25 AM
With that particular vertical grip i think you're pretty much stuck as is. If you change to a standard non-bipod grip you could use a Krebs Custom fore end grip adapter(catalog #9). It puts the grip on a side rail and moves it out of the way of the magazine swing. A known common problem with all 7.62 ak's that are foregrip rail equipped. They were never really designed with vertical grips in mind so it takes a small workaround.
Krebs Custom (http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml)

http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/8-17-11/ForendAdpater.jpg
http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/1-20-08/gripadapter.jpg

KalashniKid
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
that grip is nice but i dont like how its offcenter so much. is it possible they sell a picatinny rail extender that would allow it to go farther forward? also is there any mod that would allow a ak-47 mag to be stick in (like the ar-15) instead of the "rock and cock" style of ak-47 magazines? i would prefer the latter if the mod was not too expensive

thanks!

stinker
02-05-2012, 03:22 PM
that grip is nice but i dont like how its offcenter so much. is it possible they sell a picatinny rail extender that would allow it to go farther forward?
Not that i've seen. Another option you could try is to find a foregrip i saw once that can be shortened by unscrewing and removing sections of it. If it gets short enough it might not get hit by the mag. Not sure who makes it.

also is there any mod that would allow a ak-47 mag to be stick in (like the ar-15) instead of the "rock and cock" style of ak-47 magazines? i would prefer the latter if the mod was not too expensive

None for the 7.62. The mags design wont allow it. There are magwell adapters for 5.56 Ak's that let them use ar15 mags. You could in theory do the same thing to allow it to use the mags from a 7.62 ar but you'll be talking about a major engineering undertaking from scratch that will likely involve some permanent modifications to the rifles magwell and front trunion as well because nobody makes one. No real demand for it since 7.62 ak mags are dime a dozen.

I've also read the 7.62 ar mags are....problematic, so it may not be a good idea to begin with anyways. Not worth the effort IMO.

KalashniKid
02-06-2012, 04:46 PM
"None for the 7.62. The mags design wont allow it. There are magwell adapters for 5.56 Ak's that let them use ar15 mags. You could in theory do the same thing to allow it to use the mags from a 7.62 ar but you'll be talking about a major engineering undertaking from scratch that will likely involve some permanent modifications to the rifles magwell and front trunion as well because nobody makes one. No real demand for it since 7.62 ak mags are dime a dozen."

where can i buy a "mess-around" receiver that i could tinker with that idea? would it have to be transferred under the normal firearm transferring laws or they openly purchasable? i would like to mess around with a scrap one before attempting anything on my baby, lol.

thanks for the tips