PDA

View Full Version : Shot shells for 32 S&W?

edwardo
02-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is a 32 S&W (long or short) out there in a shot shell? I have a 2" H&R revolver and would like to carry it in the woods for snakes; I'm a forester.

O.S.O.K.
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I can locate no comercially loaded 32 S&W shot shells. If you handload, then you can easily make some using 32 caliber gas checks and some shot - I recommend no.12 shot.

Just load a mild charge of powder (use a light bullet load) and then seat a gas check down over the powder. Then drop in enough shot to fill up to just about full -but leave room for a second gas check - turned over - place that and then crimp in place. Makes a very good shot shell.

If you don't handload, you might consider a Lee hand press kit and a set of dies.

If non of this works for you, then perhaps consider just getting a .22LR revolver and some CCI snake loads for it. I used a Ruger Bearcat .22 and those loads to dispatch poisonous snakes around my house very successfully - really chews em up.

raxar
02-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm going to say no as well (I haven't looked but I'm sure such a thing doesn't exist). as O.S.O.K. said reloading is your only option. From my experience .32 s&w long is going to be your only option, as the .32 s&w short case would be too small to have any decent amount of shot in it.

Personally I would look into a larger caliber shot cartridge, unless you only have a .32. Even a .38 or .44 shot shell is pretty weak compared to a regular bullet

O.S.O.K.
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Believe it or not, the CCI .22LR shot shells are absolutely poison on snakes. They just chew the crap out of the snake's head and lights out. I've used it many times and it works.

Now, if you're working in the tropics and are going to encounter a 300 lb. constrictor, then, yeah, a 45 Colt shot shell would be called for :lool: