PDA

View Full Version : Couple of new Khukuris

Ezra Coli
02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Been on a blade kick lately, so I bought some khukuris. The first one is by the Khukuri House Thamel, the same place we got our Guns Network group buy Khukuris from long ago. I like it, its a good beater, and well made. Its not from the top of the line maker though, but very nice:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/smhead/Steel%20and%20Bone/WWII_Improved_KHT_01-1.jpg

My larger one is from Himalayan Imports, the premier Khukuri maker and hands down the finest khuk I've handled. Got mine made with a horn handle, but would chose wood if I got another (wood is not as slick) since these are heavy. This blade is almost a half inch thick, super chopper. I live it.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/smhead/Steel%20and%20Bone/M43_HI_001.jpg

Size comparison.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/smhead/Steel%20and%20Bone/khuks001.jpg

l921428x
02-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Why the notch above the handle? It looks decorative but I am sure it has a purpose.

Prometheus168
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM
First it is good to see our Good Brother Ezra Coli!

Second as I said to you before you get a minimum of 3 man points for owning such a blade.... x2 for owning 2.....

Rusty

Ezra Coli
02-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Why the notch above the handle? It looks decorative but I am sure it has a purpose.

Its the "cho", and it is religious as far as I can tell. Nepali custom. You can have one made without it by Himalayan Imports and I believe I will ask for any future blades to be made without (heck, they will make you anything you want).

And thanks Rusty, its good to be welcomed home, and I'm glad to be hangin' round!

l921428x
02-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Its the "cho", and it is religious as far as I can tell. Nepali custom. You can have one made without it by Himalayan Imports and I believe I will ask for any future blades to be made without (heck, they will make you anything you want).

And thanks Rusty, its good to be welcomed home, and I'm glad to be hangin' round!

Religious? Really, that is very interesting. Welcome back Ezra we can use your mind.

Richard Simmons
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Very nice Ezra. Congratulations. I've got a couple from KH, good value but haven't ponied up the money for a HI model yet. As soon as I can decide on which one I want I plan to. What was the time from order to delivery? My order from KH took about three weeks.

old Grump
02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Purty blades for sure but I can see why you would prefer wood. That big one looks like you could clear up a wicked amount of brush with it but I bet you would be one arm weary man when you were done.

I looked up that cho mark a long time ago, it might have been on the old board. I stopped looking after nearly 50 back ground stories on it and I think the truth of the matter is the origin is lost in history. They have been making that mark a long time. The one I liked the best of all of them is it was a cows print as a symbol of Shiva. I seem to have found that one more than the rest although the devil came up a few times. I'm pretty sure the devil wasn't being considered back when they made the first cho.

Ezra Coli
02-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Very nice Ezra. Congratulations. I've got a couple from KH, good value but haven't ponied up the money for a HI model yet. As soon as I can decide on which one I want I plan to. What was the time from order to delivery? My order from KH took about three weeks.

Well it took a little longer than it normally would as far as I can tell, about a month, because the shipment was held up in customs. My KH order was about 3 to 4 weeks, and my HI order 4-5 weeks. I have been told that HI orders can sometimes be a matter of days if they actually have what you want in Reno, where they ship from.

Thanks oldGrump, yeah the bigger one is going to be one I use for chopping and minor brush clearing when camping, and to work around the house. Not going to spend that kind of dough on a blade just for looks.

gpwasr10
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I think I found my next purchase. A Himalayan Imports Khukuri. That thing is too bad ass.

Richard Simmons
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I think I found my next purchase. A Himalayan Imports Khukuri. That thing is too bad ass.

Which one are you looking at? I've only got two from KH bur from what I've read the HI made knives are supposed to be well worth the actual money. I'm thnking about ordering a couple more from KH, may try HI as well. I know on Bladeforums they frequently list blems from HI and I may see what they have that I like. Not quite a Kukri but I found this new model from Becker interesting. Might order one when they become available.

BK-4 MACHAX
http://www.tomarskabars.com/BK-4_INFO.html

gpwasr10
02-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Which one are you looking at? I've only got two from KH bur from what I've read the HI made knives are supposed to be well worth the actual money. I'm thnking about ordering a couple more from KH, may try HI as well. I know on Bladeforums they frequently list blems from HI and I may see what they have that I like. Not quite a Kukri but I found this new model from Becker interesting. Might order one when they become available.

BK-4 MACHAX
http://www.tomarskabars.com/BK-4_INFO.html
That Kabar is sweet ass. I am not sure which HI blade I want yet, cause I need to do more research. But I think I will go with the wood handle. Most likely my Khuk will be a fucking massive one though. lol

etp777
07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I've got two of the HI 15" Ang Kholas, and love them. One still has the original bone handle, while the other is halfway through a rehandling with some nice bocote (love that striped wood). You definitely can't go wrong with any HI knife, and that 15" AK will cut through most anything