PDA

View Full Version : Scientists drill into Antarctic lake buried under the ice for 20 million years

old Grump
02-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Russian scientists have finally drilled down through four kilometres of Antarctic ice to a lake that has been sealed for the last 20 million years.
Veteran Antarctic researcher Professor John Priscu says that he expects to see 'unique organisms' in the lake.
But it was revealed this may not be the only surprise from sub-glacial Lake Vostok, a body of water as large as Lake Ontario.
As scientists began the search for new life, a state-run news agency in Russia claimed that an extraordinary cache of Hitler's archives may be buried in a secret Nazi ice bunker near the spot where yesterday's breakthrough was made.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2095193/Lake-Vostok-Russian-scientists-drilling-alien-Antarctic-lake-buried-20m-years.html#ixzz1lg9wdgN7

At first I was excited at their success and was looking forward to their finds then they threw in that Nazi stuff and I'm not to sure now what to make of this story. That's why I shuffled this over to the K section till I am proven wrong.

Partisan1983
02-07-2012, 03:40 AM
Just great.....they have unleashed the "black cancer" upon mankind.....

I really hope that "hybrid vaccination" has been perfected, 'cuz the invasion has begun!

Kudos to all of you that "get it" ;)

old Grump
02-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Just great.....they have unleashed the "black cancer" upon mankind.....

I really hope that "hybrid vaccination" has been perfected, 'cuz the invasion has begun!

Kudos to all of you that "get it" ;)You think any organism dating back 20,000,000 years could possibly affect us. I think the DNA compatibility between anything they find compared to modern diseases that need us to survive are pretty much diverged away from each other. Even Mulders bad guys didn't go back that far. I miss that show but they had stretched it about as far as they could go.

TEN-32
02-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Just some quick math tells me that the Nazi portion is implausible. 20m years vs 70.

old Grump
02-07-2012, 06:34 AM
The lake was 2 1/2 miles down, The Nazi stronghold was supposed to have been accessible by sub so it would have had to be a surface entrance. Unlike the Arctic you can't just glide under the south pole submerged and I doubt if there was a Nazi hold that it would have been on a glacier, it would have had to been put over solid ground.

NAPOTS
02-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Didn't the Russians also just claim to have found life on Venus?

Shadow Walker
02-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I have read of the rumors the Nazis had a sub pen in the Antaric. I don't believe it tho.

old Grump
02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Didn't the Russians also just claim to have found life on Venus?Only because she didn't have any arms to brush the flies away.

Infidelski
02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Interesting article, thanks for posting. If there is liquid water under all that ice it would be astounding if life was present in any form.

old Grump
02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Interesting article, thanks for posting. If there is liquid water under all that ice it would be astounding if life was present in any form.
It would be astounding if there wasn't any life form. Only a lack of of one of the necessary elements would prevent the formation of organic compounds,

Partisan1983
02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
You think any organism dating back 20,000,000 years could possibly affect us. I think the DNA compatibility between anything they find compared to modern diseases that need us to survive are pretty much diverged away from each other. Even Mulders bad guys didn't go back that far. I miss that show but they had stretched it about as far as they could go.

I was being facesious...;)

Kudo's to you for getting it OG.