PDA

View Full Version : Have the Prices Gone Insane?

insider
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
After checking the prices on GB for preban Chinese AK's, I have concluded the prices have gone insane! Used Chinese guns pushing $2000???!!! WTF! I wouldn't even pay that much for a new in the box, much less a used one. Look what that rust bucket MAK-90 sold for. Guns assembled from parts kits are commanding insane prices too!

hazmat
02-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Part of the price hike is due to finite supply. What's here is here. I've been watching the prices steadily rise since I got bit by the bug in '04. True pre-89 rifles have always commanded a premium. I bought my Clayco UF in '06 for a grand and they're going for around $1500 now. My NDM was $2500 in '08, and now it's worth somewhere north of $3500. Polytech Legends, from everything I've read on these pages about them weren't cheap back then, and are still the creme de le creme when it comes to collectors rifles. $1500 or so in '04, I'm not surprised they're around $2500 now.

insider
02-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I understand supply and demand, but for that kind of money you can get something really rare and desirable. I mean come on, $1000 for a converted MAK-90???!!! I would concentrate on Valmets, Yugo's, Hungarian's, Polytech's, etc...:happydance:

imanaknut
02-08-2012, 01:13 AM
You obviously haven't checked the price of Yugos and Valmets lately. I recently sent a guy to buy a Yugo M70AB2 because he was wanting an under $500 quality AKM. I almost choked when he told me they were going for near $800!!! Thank you Erik of AIM for talking me into that Yugo many years back!!!

Hazmat is right. Thanks to two bans on Chinese rifles, there is a limited number of them in the land of shall not be infringed. Yes there are many more MAK-90s than all others combined, but they too are in limited numbers in "as delivered" condition because many people converted them back to pre-Bush-ban configuration.

Add to the fixed number the fact that there are many many new people getting into the sport that would like to own a Chinese AK/AKM variant.

Add to that the fear that our government is moving away from the freedoms our founders dreamed of and closer to that type of government that caused that little spat with Britain, and you have sky-rocketing prices.

Add to that the number of rifles being Bubba'd, like that unfortunate Clayco, and there are less "pure bred" Chinese variants available.

It will be interesting to see if prices continue to go up, stay at these crazy high prices, or crash. My vote is with the first two possibilities. Heck, look at the price of full auto stuff. In 1976 I was offered a Colt M16 (real one) for $250. At the time I was unemployed and the idea of a rifle for that price, and the tax on it virtually doubling the price was unaffordable. Of course hind-sight shows my stupidity as they are now going for over $12,000

And had a friend in the mid '60s with an import license going over to Israel and asked if I wanted him to bring back something. Unfortunately I was still living with my father and he would not allow firearms into the house. Being a WWII vet, my dad had my respect, but I wish that I did buy those Uzis for under $400 each.

insider
02-08-2012, 05:03 AM
:smiley08:

El Laton Caliente
02-08-2012, 06:50 AM
The Federal Reserve's Explicit Goal: Devalue The Dollar 33% (http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/02/06/the-federal-reserves-explicit-goal-devalue-the-dollar-33/)

insider
02-08-2012, 08:55 AM
The Federal Reserve's Explicit Goal: Devalue The Dollar 33% (http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/02/06/the-federal-reserves-explicit-goal-devalue-the-dollar-33/)
Get some gold and silver while you can!

insider
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
You obviously haven't checked the price of Yugos and Valmets lately. I recently sent a guy to buy a Yugo M70AB2 because he was wanting an under $500 quality AKM. I almost choked when he told me they were going for near $800!!! Thank you Erik of AIM for talking me into that Yugo many years back!!!

Hazmat is right. Thanks to two bans on Chinese rifles, there is a limited number of them in the land of shall not be infringed. Yes there are many more MAK-90s than all others combined, but they too are in limited numbers in "as delivered" condition because many people converted them back to pre-Bush-ban configuration.

Add to the fixed number the fact that there are many many new people getting into the sport that would like to own a Chinese AK/AKM variant.

Add to that the fear that our government is moving away from the freedoms our founders dreamed of and closer to that type of government that caused that little spat with Britain, and you have sky-rocketing prices.

Add to that the number of rifles being Bubba'd, like that unfortunate Clayco, and there are less "pure bred" Chinese variants available.

It will be interesting to see if prices continue to go up, stay at these crazy high prices, or crash. My vote is with the first two possibilities. Heck, look at the price of full auto stuff. In 1976 I was offered a Colt M16 (real one) for $250. At the time I was unemployed and the idea of a rifle for that price, and the tax on it virtually doubling the price was unaffordable. Of course hind-sight shows my stupidity as they are now going for over $12,000

And had a friend in the mid '60s with an import license going over to Israel and asked if I wanted him to bring back something. Unfortunately I was still living with my father and he would not allow firearms into the house. Being a WWII vet, my dad had my respect, but I wish that I did buy those Uzis for under $400 each.
I have been finding some good buys out there lately, at lot of guys are retiring, a lot of guys are unemployed, a lot of guys are downsizing. I am finding better buys on the forums, than on GB or any other auction site. The guys who charge jacked up prices are catering to the panic buyers. I don't need new-in-box, I want shooters!

TB215
02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
People are finally realizing how well built and nice Chinese AKs are. People are sick and tired of parts kits guns and want military grade versions of the AK. Add to the fact there is no supply and plenty of demand adds value to these rifles.

MR. Polytech
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
This has already happened over the last 12 years...
What's going on right now is the pricing structure of AK's is going up accross the board in relation to the recent increased demand for AK platform rifles; I work for an 01 FFL & the cheap Romanian & other Century AK's are being bought up like hotcakes from the distributors by dealers...This is all do to the fact that in Nov. 2012, people are figuring it's either going to be Obama's second Presidential term or
Mitt 'Liberal-in-RINO'S clothing' Romney's first...THE FRENZY IS ON AGAIN, FOLKS, BUY 'EM UP WHILE YOU CAN!

cc6481
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
i scored a trio of polytechs in december. I have never been a big fan of AK's but i tell you i am now! i got a steal paying $4K from an widower in wisconsin. I have already been offered $5K and i've only had them for 3 months

cc6481
02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
there's not much out there you can buy for 1 or 2 thousand and in 15-20 years could be worth 5 or 6 thousand

Rainman
02-10-2012, 10:42 PM
People are finally realizing how well built and nice Chinese AKs are. People are sick and tired of parts kits guns and want military grade versions of the AK. Add to the fact there is no supply and plenty of demand adds value to these rifles.

Chinese rifles were junk until the Euro franken AKs came out, then the ChiComs started looking like a shiney penny. WAY overpriced. I was selling those as disposible $189 rifles when they came in. $100 buck premium over an SKS and they didn't shoot as well.

Hobe Sound AK
02-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I recall just before Obongo was Elected, a Polytech Legend Underfolder, NIB with different colored Wood, other than Light or Dark Color. Was going for 2,300.00 Dollar's. The Seller Pulled the Auction I guess waiting till later to try to get more for it. There are Scalper's out there who know what they have.

TB215
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
NIB Polytech Legend on Sturmgewher for $3,800!

INSANE!

insider
06-04-2012, 09:09 AM
NIB Polytech Legend on Sturmgewher for $3,800!

INSANE!

Polytech anything is commanding top dollar! They are even beating the scarce Yugo and Hungarian pre-bans.

Herbbie
06-05-2012, 02:50 AM
This asshole wants 500 bucks for a used barrel

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289818934

hazmat
06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
And it's only going to get worse. Like 'Nut said earlier, the import bans in '89 and '97 killed the spare parts market. You can get spare anything for Euro-style AKs, but finding Chinese parts is going to get harder and more expensive as the years go by. When I converted my '94 MAK w/neutered FSB to a spiker, I paid all of $75 for the parts to do so. Try locating that same pre-ban FSB for a spiker and you'll pay through the nose to get it.