PDA

View Full Version : Whats a guy gotta do to find an AK?

elliottw
02-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Howdy all,
I didn't see an introduction section so I'll do it here, I've been on and off looking for a decent AK but now I'm ramping up my efforts as I see prices climbing. I'm from western ND and go to school in eastern ND. So I figured Fargo would have some decent guns somewhere. I went to 3 sporting goods stores and 5 pawn shops and found only 5 Ak's, 4 wasr-10s and one really cheap looking one with no markings anywhere that I could barely operate the action on because it was so dirty. I'm hoping they have something decent at a gun show in Grand Forks coming up in march but I won't get my hopes up. Does anyone know of a place in ND or surrounding areas that have AK's that aren't wasrs? I would really like to buy one in person so I can inspect and haggle if need be. Thanks for any help

imanaknut
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

You are doing the right thing by constantly checking the supply in the "local" stores.

If you know someone in your area that has an FFL, see if they do transfers and how much do they charge. Should be in the neighborhood of $25. Then keep an eye on Gunbroker by searching the different varieties. Every now and then you can get a good buy online, but remember to factor in shipping and transfer to what really is a "good buy".

There have been many people on the boards that have told stories of getting lucky and finding a good Chinese AK variant at a dealer for a reasonable price. The reason is many dealers have this thing about "commie weapons" and especially Chinese, so you can use that to your advantage. Keep your fingers crossed that someone has traded one in, and both the seller and dealer don't know or care what the true value of one is.

Patience is everything. I have gone several months at times not finding anything, and then in one month stumble onto more than I can afford!

Good luck, and keep looking.

NATIONALIST
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
whats wrong with a wasr ? i have one and it shoots really good. all you need to do with a WASR is check it out in person so you get a good one. they really are pretty good.

elliottw
02-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Sorry, I don't have any real problems per se with wasrs but from the 4 I saw I wasn't very apt to buy one. There was one at a pawn shop that was "tacticool" for $700 and it had good mag fit and sights were true. But the only one that was less than $500 had rediculous slop in the mag. There is a 5.56x45 Norinco Sporter for $700 obo on a local classified but I'm only in the market for a 7.62 or 5.45 otherwise I probably would have called him already. And the only AK I've ever fired is my friends Mak-90 which I thought was a fine weapon and is the one I would like the most barring some awesome find. I may have to talk to a gun store about a transfer, is that a simple thing as i've never done that before? Just go in and say "hey I'm thinking about buying "x" weapon can I have it sent here to be transferred?

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 12:38 AM
It is very easy with a good dealer. Most don't mind taking the couple of minutes to make $25 or so.

All you do is verify the dealer is willing to do it, then if you buy a firearm out of state over the net, the dealer then sends his licence to your seller. Ask to have the auction number or your name on the copy so the seller is sure who it is for.

If you are buying with a bank check or postal money order, ask for the dealer to give you the copy to mail with the check. Usually the dealer will be ok with it. If not, have a large envelope with the seller's address on it and your check ready, bring it to the dealer and have him/her put the license in with the check and note to the seller as to what you are buying (auction number, etc) and seal the envelope there. Usually that should satisfy the dealer. Very often a dealer can fax or email a copy to the seller, so that you can just mail the money order or bank check.

When the seller gets both payment and license copy, he/she will mail the firearm to the dealer. Have the seller put your name somewhere on the box near the dealer address, as in: ATTN elliottw. That way the dealer knows who to call when the firearm arrives.

You then go to the dealer, fill out the standard federal form 4473, the dealer calls the form in, and will usually know immediately if it is ok to for you to take the weapon home. In rare cases it could be delayed, which means you have to wait until our government decides to tell the dealer to release the firearm or not. If the dealer doesn't hear back in I believe 5 business days, he has every right to give you the firearm without federal OK. Worst case is you get denied, and then if the dealer is nice, he/she will hold the firearm until you can find out why. Don't forget to let the dealer know the outcome if the deny is final.

Hopefully it will go smoothly, and you take your new toy home immediately.

Fairly easy. Get dealer approval, buy firearm, dealer sends FFL copy to seller, seller sends firearm to dealer, you fill out paper, dealer calls feds, you pay dealer for transfer and take your toy home.

GOOD LUCK!

And don't feel bad if you sweat the phone call. I have had my 4473 called in a bunch of times, and I still sweat it because I really don't trust our elected officials to remember that our rights to keep and bear arm shall not be infringed.

elliottw
02-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Got lucky theres a place in my little college town that does transfers for $10! There's one store back home that I wanna check next week but if there isn't anything there I think I'll look for a Norinco, Maadi, etc. and have her shipped to me! Thanks for your help dude, wish me luck

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 03:22 AM
$10 is a fantastic deal for a transfer fee!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Schuetzenman
02-10-2012, 03:32 AM
Sorry, I don't have any real problems per se with wasrs but from the 4 I saw I wasn't very apt to buy one. There was one at a pawn shop that was "tacticool" for $700 and it had good mag fit and sights were true. But the only one that was less than $500 had rediculous slop in the mag.

IMO there is no such thing as too much mag slop as you put it. (One exception, the mag falls out of the wapon when you pull the trigger.) Tight is good for vaginas, not so much for magazine insertion under stress. Tight gets you killed potentially as any slight missalignment will cause the mag to bind up and not seat.

El Laton Caliente
02-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the Board EllliottW!!!

I might have jumped on that Norinco .223. If it was a preban in good shape, they are going for closer to a $1,000 or more these days.

I've worked in Bismark, Billings, Cheyenne and Denver. I've picked up some nice AKs at the Montana gun shows and one large pawn shop in Billings. That pawn shop I bought a SAR3, a Milled MAK90 and a .308 VEPR for $1,300 for all 3... Montana has a lot of prebans floating around. I bought a CA TIGR for $2,000 and a Valmet M62 for $1,400 out of gun shows.

elliottw
02-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Well that 5.56 is still for sale as far as I know, ill post up the link, how would I tell if she's preban as it doesn't say in the ad? Would it be good to maybe just pick up to sit on it and use it as possible trade bait?
http://www.bismanonline.com/5_56_x_45_223_sporter_rifle

Full Otto
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
When it's called "sporter" it tells you it's post ban.
Seeing it the clue is the "thumbhole" stock that it is a post ban.
Pre bans will have the original look of separate stock and pistol grip. Some other particulars but that's the basics.
However newer ones "no ban" (after the sunset of the ban) went back to the original look with US parts.

I see it says obo...worth a try but additional mags might be a little pricy on that one

El Laton Caliente
02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Not a pre-ban, but still a really nice shooter. As long as it is B-West Import (Chinese made) and not B-West built. I might try offering $550/$600 and see what happens. You could buy a replacement stockset from Ironwood Designs, thread the muzzle and it would be back to pre-ban configuration.

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
I would have answered an hour ago but unfortunately my mother called with printer problems. While I am thrilled my 83 year old mother is trying to use a computer, she drives me crazy because she doesn't listen to what I ask, and she has a hard time realizing that I can't see her computer from my house!

Anyway, thanks for the link. As the seller states it is a BWK-92 which is a post-Bush1-ban rifle. If it was a pre-ban it would be listed as an 84S.

The first thing I don't like is there is a rail on the receiver cover. If the owner has the original cover as well as the one on the rifle, no problem, but me as a collector, or just a lover of the AK series wants the original available because an AKM with a scope rail on the receiver cover is just wrong. Again, that is me.

Having one 30 round mag is nice as the BWK shipped with 5 or 10 round mags.

I agree with offering $550 for it and see what happens. Use the excuse that with only one mag, you really don't want to go more as mags are currently selling for $40 and up and you want to have more than one.

The receiver should be the standard Norinco with what we call a square cut to the rear of the receiver. With respect to the person that complained that there is no such thing as "square cut" as that is the standard cut, sorry. I didn't hear of any BWK-92s not having a standard receiver until recently when someone told me they had one with a slant cut to the rear of the receiver, but I would personally have to see it to believe it as I didn't know the person.

Because of that, if you get it, if the rear of the receiver isn't standard, Ironwood Designs does make a butt-stock for the odd-ball. If the receive is standard cut, you could install the standard Chinese wood stock and pistol grip, and just don't run up to an ATF agent and brag about your "hot-rodded rifle". Got that from a guy who sometimes runs around with a dark colored jacket with big yellow letters on it. :D

The 84S was one of the best shooting of any of the AK/AKM variants made. Very accurate and able to use common ammo with the beloved AR-15. ( that should start something!!)

Make a low offer and see what the seller says. With any luck the seller will say yes, and if a private person, will take your money, hand you the rifle and you would each go your own way very happy.

Good luck, but I would use caution when you get it to make sure you pick it up in a good part of town in a very safe location.

elliottw
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
So you guys think I should try for it? 550 is right were i'm at on it too so i'm glad i wasn't too far off thinking that. I also agree with that rail. Looks really gross, another talk down point if he doesn't have a stock one I suppose

El Laton Caliente
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273252780

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272695692

elliottw
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
jeez makes it hard for me pass on it haha

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Receiver cover with matching serial number?

One of the very, very rare times I disagree with you ELC!!! :smiley31:

elliottw
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I guess it wouldn't bother me if the serial numbers weren't matching? Would that really murder resale if I ever got a chance at a trade for a 7.62 or something?

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I guess it wouldn't bother me if the serial numbers weren't matching? Would that really murder resale if I ever got a chance at a trade for a 7.62 or something?

Only to an idiot like me. Many people don't care, a true collector would, but if the rifle is well used, even a collector would probably not care.

elliottw
02-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I see where you're coming from. It looks to be a nice firearm and I'm sure it would be a lot of fun. But I'd honestly get it with the intentions of maybe flipping it for a Mak-90 or something. Would it just be better to just let this one pass and look for what i'm really after?

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes.

If you got this rifle, the chance of trading it on a 7.62x39 MAK-90 and not losing money is very probable. Save your money, and your time and wait for the real rifle you want.

On the other hand, keep it, don't trade it, and mark it the start of your collection! :smiley31:

elliottw
02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm half tempted to buy it! But I think I will wait and hopefully luck out on a Mak-90. There's one place back home i'm praying has one but I won't be able to check til next weekend.

elliottw
02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Just got a hit on my ad. A guy has a used Sgl21 and he's firm at 800 seems about right adding in the cost of shipping and a transfer. Anything I should look for? I want to call him and ask him how much he shot it and if he has other mags but I think I might have found it!