PDA

View Full Version : Bulgarian Barrel Markings

Rainman
02-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Howdy. First post on a new forum...

I've been big in the M14 and AR stuff over the years, but have never much been into the AK thing. I recently picked one up, and it was built with a Bulgy parts kit. Does anyone have Bulgarian barrel markings cataloged, or perhaps a link to same?

Thanks mucho in advance.

ETA...I pulled the handguard and the markings are (from top to bottom)
75 968

There is also is a circle, or C with something in it, or a Cyrillic mark down by the shoulder on the barrel where it connects to the receiver. It looks obscured due to the KG overcoat, and is not real legible.

hazmat
02-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the group!

If you're looking for arsenal marks, here's a start.

http://www.ak-47.us/AK47_Factories.php

As far as other markings, I'm not aware of anything other than a SN stamped into it. Some may have acceptance stamps, Russian barrels are filthy with them.

If I may ask, what kind of rifle did you buy?

Rainman
02-10-2012, 01:02 AM
It's a shop built (Ok, it was built by some dude in a garage..LOL) by a guy that is an AK nut and builds some pretty nice equipment. It's an SLR100H, with a virgin Bulgy Type III kit, inclusive of the barrel. He's a OCD machinist 60+ years old and builds them like German Clockmaker. Hell of a nice guy to boot. The rifle shoots M67 Ball real nice.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/Poodleshooter556/Firearms%202012/DSCN6018.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/Poodleshooter556/Firearms%202012/DSCN6019.jpg

Rainman
02-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Oh, I think it appropriate that I introduce myself. I'm Rainman, a Moderator over at M14RA.ORG, TEAM M14 www.m14raforum.org and former Senior Moderator at the The M14 Firing Line Forums. I also operate a private Law Enforcement Community forum.
I'm looking for an AK forum that I can participate in without being dressed down by someone younger than my daughter in between his Call Of Duty games. I'm not new to AKs, just new to owning one. :naughty:

hazmat
02-12-2012, 12:10 AM
That is a damn fine rifle. The builder appears to have done a superb job putting her togther. May I ask what kind of finish you have on her?

And don't worry about the members here. Though we've had a few of the COD Commando crowd here, they generally don't hang on these pages and the ones who have nothing constructive to add to the conversation tend to get chased off fairly quickly. There are guys on here that have forgotten more about the AK than I'll ever know, and if you've got questions, they have answers.

l921428x
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Welcome to Gunsnet. Enjoy your AK.

Partisan1983
02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
WOW !!! She is gorgeous.

Very nice rfle sir.

Rainman
02-12-2012, 01:05 AM
That is a damn fine rifle. The builder appears to have done a superb job putting her togther. May I ask what kind of finish you have on her?

And don't worry about the members here. Though we've had a few of the COD Commando crowd here, they generally don't hang on these pages and the ones who have nothing constructive to add to the conversation tend to get chased off fairly quickly. There are guys on here that have forgotten more about the AK than I'll ever know, and if you've got questions, they have answers.

The finish is KGs "AK BLACK" over parkerization. Parking as the final prep really affords a good bond for the overcoat. I did an Uzi this way and it's def no flake, no peel. The wood is stock Bulgy AK T3 with a lot of love rubbed on. (a little satin polyurethane too)

I've been around military rifle most of my 52 years, and know my way around the barn. My AK experiance however is practical. Although I've shot civillian and military AKs for years, along with selling TONS of them in the mid to late 80s, I've never actually "owned" an AK proper. Back a few years, the AK crowd didn't count Galil and Valmet rifles as they were the "wrong" caliber and modified. Spin forward 20 years and both seem to have settled in to the AK mainstream. I can kick myself for selling the Galil and Valmets I did have, an ARM in 5.56, and an M78 in 308, both taken on trades. The M78 was a heavy accurate lead delivery system indeed.

I'm real impressed with the Bulgy rifle, and it rivals the Galil/Valmet quality and fitment, and the accuracy, especially with M67 ball is outstanding for an AK. I look forward to learning from those that have taken these little rifles to heart a little more than I have. Fortunately, I don't intend to modify or bling up the ol gal. I like the inherent good looks and practicality of the plain ol AK. I have other rifles that will fill the accuracy and PDW roles.:wink:

I love em all guys...If it's wood and steel and has a detachable magazine, it can't be that bad! Hell, I'll even take a little plastic thrown into the mix, I aint picky!!!

I've gotten a few real nice PMs, and kind replies. Thanks for the great welcome! :thumbspbig:

Here's pretty much how it will stay....
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q55/Poodleshooter556/Firearms%202012/akrig.jpg

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 06:25 AM
You picked a really nice one for a starter! Welcome to the board! Looks to be a top quality build.

I'm a Galil/Valmet fan. Wish they were still being imported... A have a couple of the Century Goloni Galils in .223 and a restored Hadar in .308. Valmets M62 tube in 7.62x39, M76 tube folder in .223, M78 in .308, M82 in .223....

Rainman
02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Yeah, this AK thing is getting under my shin....It's hard to resist doing another.

I have an opportunity to buy an Arsenal SLR 106UR with the krink cover and faux suppressor for a decent price. Are these any good? (I looked at their stuff when I was shopping around for a milled rifle and was not impressed, but folks really hold them up high...) I'm thinking the 106UR would make a good form 1 rifle. Do the 5.56s work good?

hazmat
02-12-2012, 11:24 PM
The UR platform is pretty cool. I've built from kits the 5.45 and 7.62 versions and they're pretty good. Another member had his 107UR converted a couple of years ago. Turned out pretty good. I'd say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Addictive, ain't they?

Rainman
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Son, they all are....lol