PDA

View Full Version : making a BWK 92 compliant

Verfall
02-09-2012, 10:02 PM
just bought a ak-47 bwk 92 sporter and heard i need to change atleast 6 parts on it to be in compliance with 922r, i was wondering if its true and what parts would be easiest / cheapest to switch out, any help would be greatly appriciated

Full Otto
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
You only need to switch them out if you are going to bring it back to pre-ban configuration.
Is that what you're going to do?

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome: and welcome to the most stupid firearm law ever penned.

If you want to reconfigure the rifle from as delivered condition, you have to bring the parts count down to 10 imported parts maximum.

The BWK-92s usually have a turned down muzzle, which is unthreaded and wears a Bush-hole stock. If so, you have a rifle with 14 countable parts, but if you want a separate pistol grip and butt-stock, you then will have 15 countable parts.

The easiest three parts would be the stock set. That gets you to 12 imported parts. Most people replace the fire control group which is three more parts, lowering your count to an angelic 9 imported. I hate that part because the Chinese factory fire control group is arguably the best of any AK imported with a really nice feel. I try to have the owner install US made mag parts but don't know if the US floor plate and follower will fit a Norinco .223 mag.

The other part people change is the gas piston. If the world was ending, and I could save it by changing a gas piston, the world would explode. If you do, notice how loose the piston is, that is the way it should be. Install the new piston until snug, then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn and then pin in place.

If the muzzle is threaded, it most likely be 1/2x28 USA right hand since all BWKs I have seen have a turned down muzzle measuring 1/2 inch. Just install a US made brake or muzzle device.

922(r) and also known now as Title 27 CFR 478.39 is the stupidest rule/law ever written for firearms and no judge in his/her right mind would find you guilty of having 11 imported parts in a rifle. Of course, since this site is monitored by ATF, I have to add that I in no way advocate the intentional violation of any law regardless as to how stupid it is. ;)

stinker
02-10-2012, 01:56 AM
This should help too. Like Full Otto said you only need it if you plan to restore it to "real ak" preban configuration though.
As it is it's fine from a legal standpoint.

922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds (http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance)

Verfall
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
1.does a upper and lower forearm kit count as 2 part?
2.what kind of butt stock set counts as 3 parts ?
3.does a scope rail count as a part ?
4. would a front and back pistol grip count as 2 separate parts ?

sorry to ask so many questions that might seem like dumb questions but im a newbie and u guys seem to really know your stuff ty for your replies so far

El Laton Caliente
02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
1. No
2. None
3. No
4. No

Not likely the answers you would like to hear, but welcome to the board!!!

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
There are no dumb questions when it comes to firearms and legal things. There might be some dumb answers, and I guarantee you there are many dumb rules, but no dumb questions.

Don't feel bad about asking questions as we all were new to this at one time.

Verfall
02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
if i buy an American magazine does that count as follower and floor plate for 2 compliance parts ?

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 06:14 PM
An all American magazine has three counted parts, follower, floor plate and mag body.

Funny thing is that if you just do the easy stuff to an AKM by replacing the wood and muzzle device only, assuming a BWK with threaded barrel, you are not illegal until you insert that super evil imported magazine. The rifle without mag is 13 countable parts, so an American stock set and muzzle device gives you 9 imported parts. Perfectly legal until you lock in the mag.

Question, does having imported mag in the same room with an AK that with no mag, but having 9 imported parts, constitute intent to construct? ATF allows you to have an AK/AKM semi-auto and also own a full auto trigger group because installation is a major work, but a semi-auto AR-15 with just a full auto safety constitutes a violation due to intent to construct, even though you can't.

What about "shall not be infringed" do they not understand???

Aren't you glad you got into this hobby?????