PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 Optics Suggestions

Gary Thomas
02-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi Folks!

I'm fairly new to the site and am looking for some suggestions as to a scope and mount for my WASR-10.

I view this gun as my close to intermediate range battle rifle. Does it make sense to add a scope and mount to it, or should I just go with iron sights? I'm thinking of a scope to help make up for my aging eyesight, so a minimal magnification or red dot is what I was thinking.

Any suggestions as to a scope in the $50-$100 range which will last thru the recoil and be relatively worthwhile? I know you get what you pay for, but this is about all I can swing right now. Suggestions on a mount would also be appreciated.

Thanks much for the assistance!

Gary Thomas

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I am in the same boat as you, with my eyes the way they are, a scope just makes shooting more fun.

I have an SAR-1 with a POSP scope from an SVD using an AK side mount on the side rail of the SAR-1 like your WASR.

I also have an SAR-3 with a side mount that has a picatinny rail on is, and just installed a nice scope with standard rings. Works fine.

I would recommend getting a side mount with the rail on it to allow you to install any scope you want. Just make sure the scope is rifle rated.

Also, make sure you get an AK side mount as the one for the SVD is different and will not fit an AK.

As an example: https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2543

Bluntforce
02-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Check out the Military Arms Channel on YouTube. He has reviewed a lot of AK optics. Maybe there's something in your price range.

Gary Thomas
02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks for responding Bluntforce & imanaknut! I have a PSL that I put a side mount with a 3-9x42 POSP scope on which I like very much, It's just that those are rather pricy (relatively speaking!) and I was hoping to find something in a little more moderate price class as I won't be using the AK at similar ranges and that scope may be overkill on an AK. I may have to spring for another smaller POSP if someone doesn't have some experience with another suggested option which might work.

Thanks!

Gary

ATAK, Inc.
02-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I too am sliding down the far slope and need a bit of optical assistance, my M4 has an EoTech, and I have a KOBRA, and using it on the AK-74M I built last year is an absolutely deadly combination. I put the dot on the target and hit the target. Great optic but much higher than your price range.

El Laton Caliente
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I'd go PSOP or Kobra but they start in the $150 range.

Gary Thomas
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks ATAK, that's my end goal someday for my AR, but a little overkill for me on an AK that I paid less than the optic for!

ATAK, Inc.
02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks ATAK, that's my end goal someday for my AR, but a little overkill for me on an AK that I paid less than the optic for!

Sorry for the confusion, I was suggesting the Kobra for the AK.

El Laton Caliente
02-10-2012, 05:10 PM
http://kalinkaoptics.com/

Gary Thomas
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
FYI for anyone who may be following this thread, I spent the last few days further researching my optics choices, and found what looks like a good intermediately priced solution that's not junk in the form of the Vortex SPARC. At $199, it's about midway between junk and Aimpoint / EOtech, but the reviews seem to speak highly of it. Red dot with no magnification, but it comes with a doubler that can be used by us visually challenged "oldsters"!

videodon
02-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I like my Kobra a lot!
:)
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/videodon/SAR-1_fold2-1.jpg

Gary Thomas
02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi videodon!

I'd love to have one of those someday, but at $399, it's a little beyond my budget right now! I'm limited at around the $200 figure!

videodon
02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi videodon!

I'd love to have one of those someday, but at $399, it's a little beyond my budget right now! I'm limited at around the $200 figure!

I heard they had gone up but WOW!
I bought from "Tantal" for $125 a while back.
They do have some detractors but mine's been 100%. (knock on wood)
:)

Gary Thomas
02-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, it's too bad Tantal is not selling anymore; they had some nice "stuff" at reasonable prices.

Infidelski
02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I have a very early cobra, its well built. Only gripe back then and still is the 3.6volt AA sized $9 battery. I've had it set up on a .223 vepr for years and still
works well.