PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 Side Mount

Gary Thomas
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion as to a reasonably priced side rail mount which centers the scope over the bore and doesn't cover the iron sights for a WASR-10? I see a lot of them available in the $30-$40 price range, but need some suggestions from someone who has one that works per above. I'm looking at a UTG that is rated pretty high on Amazon although I tend to shy away from their stuff, but I don't know about the bore centering or if it covers the irons.

Thanks!

Krupski
02-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion as to a reasonably priced side rail mount which centers the scope over the bore and doesn't cover the iron sights for a WASR-10? I see a lot of them available in the $30-$40 price range, but need some suggestions from someone who has one that works per above. I'm looking at a UTG that is rated pretty high on Amazon although I tend to shy away from their stuff, but I don't know about the bore centering or if it covers the irons.

Thanks!

The iron sights on an AK suck... there's no need to preserve them if you have some other sighting device.

With that said, I would recommend the KOBRA red dot AK sight: http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstkobra.html

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/media/x03M_03.JPG

It mounts firmly on an AK with a side rail, it holds zero beautifully and once it's dialed in, it just works. What you see is what you get. Put the dot on the target and fire. You can't miss.

I suggest the the EKP-1S-03M because it takes standard AA cells and you can buy AA lithium cells which last almost forever and work great in the cold (unlike alkalines).

Doogles
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I just bought mine through Amazon (UTG) side plate rail. Was easy to install. Had to drill 3 holes using a 5/32 bit in the left side of the recieve. The most important thing is to make sure is to install it far enough to the rear to clear the mag and to make sure it is level with the barrel. It took me about 45 mins to install the side plate, recoil buffer, Hogue grip. I also bought the QD style Picatinny rail. I will post pics when I receive and install the new Quad rail handguard and the tactical stock and bipod.

El Laton Caliente
04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome to the Board Doogles!!!

The Russian red dots and scope are pretty good, I have several. While some of the USA scopes are nicer, the Russian products are good bang for the buck especially on an AK.