PDA

View Full Version : 'nuther noob.....

buxman66
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM
hello all! new to the forum here.been doing my research and came to the conclusion that the mak-90 was a good AK platform as far as build quality and availability for me.
i'm supposed to go to a guy's place tomorrow nite to pick up both a stamped and a milled receivered mak-90. looking forward to getting into the AK world as i'm more recently been into AR-15's. the fast-tracking of recent attacks on our precious constitution has me of a mind to protect my little section of the world w/ something that has better penetration as well as simple functionality. i really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is given out by all. thanks,buxman66.:thumbup:

deth502
02-10-2012, 08:36 PM
:welcome:

imanaknut
02-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Starting the addiction with both a milled and stamped MAK-90 is a great way to enjoy the AK/AKM and a sure way to spend a lot of money over time!

Both are very good rifles. About the only issue is the milled MAK-90 has a strange cut to the rear of the receiver, and unless you like to make your own stocks, the only one available is through Ironwood Designs. At least Ironwood is a great company making top rated products at very reasonable prices.

buxman66
02-12-2012, 08:35 AM
thanks guys! i believe i'll probably change out the furniture completely on the stamped one and just the stock/pg on the milled. i'm definitely going w/the original wood though. just trying to soak up the knowledge on here......!:lets-drink:

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the BOARD!!! Enjoy the new rifles and post the range session.

videodon
02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome!
:)

imanaknut
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
thanks guys! i believe i'll probably change out the furniture completely on the stamped one and just the stock/pg on the milled. i'm definitely going w/the original wood though. just trying to soak up the knowledge on here......!:lets-drink:

Unfortunately there is no "original wood" on the milled MAK-90 other than the bush-hole stock as it was a pure commercial rifle built to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment as modified by ATF and Bush1. The only way to install a standard looking stock is either make one yourself or buy one from Ironwood Designs. I have found that Min-was Antique Maple gives a pretty close copy of the Chinese "sort of yellow" stock color. I refinished a front handguard with the antique maple and showed it to a friend who I consider very knowledgeable on AKs and he was amazed that it was a refinish and not original Chinese.

buxman66
02-12-2012, 07:10 PM
i'm learning already! lol! the finish on the milled is a dark stain and of course the club-looking thumbhole stock. the stamped one,the top hand guard had split and came apart in my hands. the stamped model had plenty of scratches and had a mis-matched blond colored thumbhole stock. both of them will get new wood and probably try to save the milleds hand guard set by re-finishing them. the milled receiver is a slant cut and the stamped is a straight cut. i plan on re-doing these as money(and the wife unit)permit! the stamped will probably be done in earnest as this years presidential election,i believe,will bring some interesting times. i hope i'm wrong,but i will be prepared. :bat:

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 10:29 PM
As I remember the darker wood is stained. You may need to bleach/sand/strip it before refinishing.

buxman66
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
thanks,i'll be doing that soon. pics to follow!

buxman66
02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm not able to post in the classified ad's section yet, but if anyone is interested in it I'm selling the blond colored thumbhole stock that was on my stamped model. I believe someone said it is a Hungarian sa-85m stock. Little did I know the seller had it listed on here at the time I bought it so I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of it.
http://[IMG]http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad233/BUXMAN66/attachment.jpg

buxman66
02-15-2012, 07:03 PM
try this again....

Schuetzenman
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I can say that it is an SA-85M thumbhole stock. I had an SA-85M Hungarian AKM rifle, it was my favorite 7.62x39 chambered AK type. Those are one of the more comfortable stocks on the Bush -Ban era weapons.

buxman66
02-17-2012, 06:55 PM
got both sets....well,actually 1 full set for the stamped receiver and a stock and p/g for the milled,ordered the other day from ironwood designs. also,i just ordered a set of new p/g bolts an kept receiver nuts,as well as replacement rear micro-adjustment peep sights for both rifles. can't wait for the big brown truck to show up! i used one of the boards vendors, AA-OK.COM for my purchase.

buxman66
02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
just sold the hungarian sa-85m thumbhole stock. was posted for only 1hr before someone bought it on www.armslist.com