PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of coffee

Bartholomew
02-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Hi All,
As this is a coffee section so thought of sharing some benefits of coffee with everyone.
Coffee reduces the risk of skin cancer, diabetes, liver disease, muscle pains, stroke and heart problems. Coffee prevents from hypertension. Coffee is great antioxidant and anti adhesive.

Bluntforce
02-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Coffee, aspirin and raw honey are only now beginning to appreciated for the wonder "drugs" they actually are.

kathy
02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I just LOVE coffee! :coffee:

We finally got to the range and finally got to shoot my new gun.

old Grump
02-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Well Hally - by - golly - lou - yah!

Targets where are the targets? :conf44:

btcave
02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
I just LOVE coffee! :coffee:

We finally got to the range and finally got to shoot my new gun.

:ttiwwop:

kathy
02-14-2012, 07:56 PM
:ttiwwop:

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/uploads/126/032.JPG

My youngest son and his new bride. Its her first time shooting a rifle, she joined the Marine Corps but got hurt in BT so she never got to shoot until this photo. She LOVES rifles.

:D

old Grump
02-14-2012, 09:40 PM
You are a good mother in law. Mine never took me shooting.

Come to think of it that was a good thing, I don't know if she could have resisted shooting me. :rotflmbao:

kathy
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Your too funny OG... Everywhere we went people thought she was my daughter..:love4:

Hedning
02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Hey all. Iv been a stranger.. again. Been too busy swearing about my voice and dealing with work related stuff all the time. I can hardly complain about that these days. Im one of the lucky ones.

Anyway... anything new? I can see that Kathy have had a good time. What about the rest of you? Any range time lately? Im trying to go there every friday, thats one of the good things about working late for 4 days. Friday is mine, well, should have been. That friday off has been a joke for a couple months, but its been too cold anyway. The sunshine is getting here. Been like 15-33F for a couple days now.

Yesterday was a very good day. A friend of mine called on friday and said he had one to many tickets for the Rammstein concert. So we went there... Those guys know how to make a good show. Funniest thing was that there were many kids in the 6-8 years area. And they loved it. I guess they like watching an angel with flamethrowers on its wings. I was like 70 yards from the stage, and the heat was like sitting too close to a camp fire.

Well, enough bs from this side of the Atlantic for one night... have a great one all

greeenie
02-20-2012, 05:01 PM
man rammstein would be a kick ass concert, u sir, are very lucky

Hedning
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Oooh you better believe it. Rammstein is something else... I sure hope you can go to there one day. Its like the intro of Terminator 2 combinded with Depech Mode and a Leopard tank with flamethrowers, added with a few thousand people with their hands in the air.....and cold beer.

greeenie
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
u know i have never seen them, but i think after that lovely picture u have just painted, i think i MUST go

Hedning
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
If the opportunity comes your way, GO. If Sandra Bullock knocked me down, as I was on my way to a Rammstein concert, and dragged me by the hair to her hotel room I would put up a hard fight to get out of there.......... Or maybe not. But it would kind of ruin the joy.

Hedning
02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
And then they all went to the Caribbean for some umbrella drinks.... snowed in maybe..

kathy
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
And then they all went to the Caribbean for some umbrella drinks.... snowed in maybe..

Rammstien? Or the coffee club? I wish I could be snowed in in the Caribbean... But I am hard at work running an election.

Tonight at a Town meeting two ladies running for the same state house seat nearly got into a brawl... was fun. :happydance:

Hedning
02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Oooh.... cat fights are allways good entertainment. There is allways so much rage involved.... I hope you get it on tape if it happens.

kathy
02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Oooh.... cat fights are allways good entertainment. There is allways so much rage involved.... I hope you get it on tape if it happens.

I will keep my iPhone ready. Stay tuned.... there will be more towns where we overlap these ladies... :piggy-bank:

Hedning
03-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Whats going on? OG, Kathy, BT anyone....??!! Sit rep...

old Grump
03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Well the little hut in the woods has had 3 people down and I suspect it was the flue going around the nursing home my ma is at. She is just getting done with pneumonia and getting frisky again. Mike is back on his feet and out visiting friends Jeanne got better and cleaned the house from top to bottom and surprisingly is still on her feet today. Moving slow but on her feet.

Weather is playing nice right now and I took advantage of it. I went out back today and shot the 91/30 at 10-0 yards, report in the Mosin forum. If it is good tomorrow will try a M1 and a could of handguns. I have been way behind on my shooting and need trigger time bad.

To make up for the high group of the Mosin I fired 10 rounds from my old 46 year old bolt action single shot iron sighted rifle and put all 10 rounds in the black which surprised me considering it has better than half a million rounds through it. No bragging group but 7 would have hit a rabbit. I love my old 22, cheapest gun I have and still my favorite.

Hope I do half as good with the .357 and 44 magnum tomorrow.

66 F today and I have Spring fever so bad. A garden waits for me practically begging me to turn the dirt over but we are not out of freeze and snow time yet. The older I get the harder it is to wait.

In the meantime I am still teaching my nephew how to be a construction carpenter. Today he learned how to square up a frame building by himself with a come along. Every time we go out to the shop its another lesson and I'm happy to say that while he still has two left hands his work habits are good, he is a safe worker and he listened to instructions. I was a lot harder headed at 16 than he is. For that I am thankful.

Now give, how is your voice and when are you coming over? Don't make me come over there and get you. It's to far to swim and my wings are broke so I can't fly.

kathy
03-12-2012, 04:18 AM
Your wings are broke? sAY IT AINT SO...:smiley10:

Sit rep... I am going to Washington to learn how to be a Treasurer for real and we also hope to get some meetings with freshman Congressmen an maybe the Speaker. The campaign to retire Rosa DeLauro may be successful. The Wayne
train is picking up steam, look for us on Fox News we hope. :animatedsalute:

old Grump
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
I was hoping you would stick your head in the door. How do you learn to be a treasurer for real, do they have a school or clinic or something for political workers?

kathy
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I was hoping you would stick your head in the door. How do you learn to be a treasurer for real, do they have a school or clinic or something for political workers?

Yes the FEC or federal election commission has classes, its getting more complex now that money is being donated more and more.

My retired Army son will also run for state senate. I will likely act as his treasurer also. That is a very different set of laws but they also have classes and help.

My town committee chair will help us too. He is a retired Navy big wig, very strong organizational skills. We are building a strong coalition, the more Veterans the better.

old Grump
03-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Yes the FEC or federal election commission has classes, its getting more complex now that money is being donated more and more.

My retired Army son will also run for state senate. I will likely act as his treasurer also. That is a very different set of laws but they also have classes and help.

My town committee chair will help us too. He is a retired Navy big wig, very strong organizational skills. We are building a strong coalition, the more Veterans the better.Amen to that, not nearly enough discipline or sense of sacrifice among the non veteran politicians in my book. I am very happy to see you learning all the ins nd outs of the behind the scenes activities none of us get to see. It will provide some good back ground for us when you are ready to share.

kathy
03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Many many of the freshmen congressmen who were elected in 2010 are Military Veterans. Its why they dont bow down and play the dirty games the career politicians engage in.

More than the whole treasurer thing Im learning the logistics of getting a structure in place to have an effective campaign, I wish there were more hours in a day. The state legislature is even more critical. If the states dont stand up to intrusive federal government we have little defense as individuals. Too many people think its all about the federal government and that is why were sliding into a financial abyss in this country.

old Grump
03-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Many many of the freshmen congressmen who were elected in 2010 are Military Veterans. Its why they dont bow down and play the dirty games the career politicians engage in.

More than the whole treasurer thing Im learning the logistics of getting a structure in place to have an effective campaign, I wish there were more hours in a day. The state legislature is even more critical. If the states dont stand up to intrusive federal government we have little defense as individuals. Too many people think its all about the federal government and that is why were sliding into a financial abyss in this country.Agree 100% and one of the things to do would be to get a movemnt going by all states who are tired of Federal intrusion into their affairs is to repeal the 17th amendment and make Senators appointed not elected. They should be representing their state not their campaign donors.

Changing topic I got an E-mail from Hedning saying he is having trouble logging onto Gunsnet. To bad because he is our new champion. Won a 100 meter black powder match in Norway by getting more shots down range without setting his beard on fire than any other Norwegian in history. I hope he can get signed in so he can tell me a bad joke and correct the blasphemy I just committed on him. Seriously he did good but I would rather he tell it. :wootrock:My version is funnier but his is more impressive.

Hedning
03-13-2012, 06:03 PM
OG... do you remember what to do if you see a Swede strugling in the water??...

old Grump
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
You tell him to stand up now sir, be good and tell the coffee drinkers in the kitchen what you did sir. :animatedsalute::thumbsup::encore::wootrock::coffe e:

kathy
03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Tell tell tell!!!:hyper:

Hedning
03-14-2012, 04:34 AM
First thing first... if you see a Swede drowning you do nothing. Thats the answer to that.

No idea what happened when I tried to log in a couple days ago. And when I managed to get back in the last few post was not there. Seems to be ok now.

The black powder thing is not a very big deal. I just managed to beat the old Norwegian record of 100m black powder cartridge using original rifles. That means they have to be made prior to the smokeless era. The old record was set back in 2004, 94 points. I got 96. I had to knock my sights wowfully far to the left, and I was like 12" high too at the first shot. Second a little low. Plain luck that the sights fell into the right place. You shoot 13 shots, 10 best counts. There are still 4 more points to collect, so I will try to get them. Getting 100 with those old timers fitted with rather iffy iron sights may be a tough task. But Im fairly confident that 98 would be a fair deal. For those who want to know, the rifle I used is an old Winchester High Wall 45-70 made back in 1889. Kicks like a mule.

And I can see that you Mr Old Grump Sir, took my Sir request seriously. Never really thought about it, but what is up with the Sir thing? What is the origin of the word?

The spring got to be here. The sun is so bright and the sky is so got damn blue. 61F yesterday, little colder today. I think I will have to find Mungo Jerrys "in the summer time" and play it loud.

kathy
03-14-2012, 06:08 AM
A big Congratulations to you Mr. Hedning Sir. It is so exciting to have a champion in our midst. Awesome...

old Grump
03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
What is the origin of the word?Never thought you would ask. According to my 1958 edition of the Britannica World Language Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary we can blame the 14th century French for the word. It is a shortening of shire which meant father and that was shortened to sire and became used only for royalty. Chopped again sir was applied to Barons, Dukes and other nobility. If you want I can dig into one of my other dictionaries and trace it farther back for you. :coffee:

Hedning
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
No, thats enough... I got serious issues dealing with people that has titles. I even had issues with my officers back in the days. The Lords of Brittain, wow, read about them and your ass will laugh.

kathy
03-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Laughing asses.... I knew there was a reason to get up today.

More excitement on the campaign trail last night, we went to a meeting in a packed room loads of candidates running for one office or another in a restaurant that served alcohol. Interesting how some of them get their point across. One guy had us "Hooting and Hollering" seriously that was part of his presentation. :hoo-yeah::anim_beer-1:

Hedning
03-15-2012, 05:03 PM
What about them catfights Kathy??.... Im sorry, but catfights intrigues me. I got to say that Im impressed by your stamina. The thing you got going got to be like having a nice dinner during a ride with the Hulk roller coaster at Universal Studios, and at the same time you try to make people focused.

OG... when I get over I would like to get some more classes in the fine art of pistol shooting. In return I could give you some education in the cap n ball department. I know you could use it because you are awfully slow when it comes to that Walker shooting. So one got to get to the conclusion that you dont know how it works.... Not to worry, Ill show you the safe end and the dangerous end of it..... You see that part with wood? Thats a part of the safe end. Chew on that for a while and see if it sinks into place. Ill proceed when you are ready....

old Grump
03-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Norwegians chew on their grips??? Oh please say it aint so.

The guy that was supposed to order the right size balls never did so I am going to order a mold for all 3 sizes I use and just make my own. Maybe then I will be able to get to shoot it before summer.

Hootin' an hollerin' well it used to work for the old stump speakers, hnot sure how it would come across a radio or TV broadcast but hey, whatever works.

YEEEE HAWWWWW WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

btcave
03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Shootin, Hootin, and chewin? Sounds like a party in the coffee room. Don't worry, I know where the fridge is...

A Swede and a Norwegian walk into a bar....
QUICK LOCK THE DOORS AND SET IT ON FIRE! :wootrock:

My mother was a Dahl. So I can play too. ;)

old Grump
03-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Shootin, Hootin, and chewin? Sounds like a party in the coffee room. Don't worry, I know where the fridge is...

A Swede and a Norwegian walk into a bar....
QUICK LOCK THE DOORS AND SET IT ON FIRE! :wootrock:No Linje Aquavit for you wise guy, you have to drink that horrific American lite beer.

btcave
03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
No Linje Aquavit for you wise guy, you have to drink that horrific American lite beer.

That's OK, I've brought Paulaner Dunkel Weiss. German's make fine beer, and ladies I might add.

btcave
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I had to look up what "Linje Aquavit" was. Sounds interesting.

old Grump
03-15-2012, 11:05 PM
I had to look up what "Linje Aquavit" was. Sounds interesting.Probably wasn't served where you were stationed. I had to be assisted, (carried), back to my ship twice in 10 years, the first time was after my introduction to Aquavit in Copenhagen by a little Canadian lass. I am afraid I may not have impressed her favorably.

kathy
03-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Sorry no more cat fights yet, the Hooting and Hollering guy had a woman opponent but he was very nice and gave her the max contribution at the beginning of his spiel.... Not all that many women running.

Im pooped out today, got lots of paperwork to do so I stayed home tonight. Wayne spoke at the NRA dinner. It was sold out and he was invited as a speaker so i couldnt get in anyway no staff tag alongs. I am sure glad he likes speaking, I DREADED it when i was the sucker... I mean candidate...:mouse2:

I am looking into opening an indoor pistol range here, I need to make a business plan to get investors. It would get alot of business there is no public range in the area.

old Grump
03-17-2012, 05:11 AM
Wow, you fear nothing do you? I didn't mind running the Army range when I was in the Reserves, it was already built and all I had to do was get shooters to the line and out the door without anybody shooting each other.

You can get the technical specs from the NRA but considering you live in Connecticut they may have a wrinkle or 3 that could trip you up. I wish you all the luck in the world, if anybody can do it you can. Don't know what I can do to help but if there is anything you can think of give me a holler.

Bet that would look great on your resume as a pro 2nd, pro business candidate. Business owner having to live within a budget unlike many politicians and no question about where you stand on the Bill of Rights. Shucks I'd vote for you 3 times if they would let me get away with it.

By the way your campaign posters on my fence made it through the winter in good shape. :coffee:

kathy
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Thats great news OG, those were really nice signs and I got a great deal on them.. I still have the extra large ones. I dont know if I will run for anything big again. I on the board of assessment appeals, elected. That was not too difficult, I told a reporter I was running because I felt it was my responsibility to serve and that I belive property rights must be preserved. Thats about all I did to get elected...But the main reason I did was because my town committee needed someone to fill that position on the slate.

I found a great location for a range, I have to get all the info on it. It is a long concrete building with a long concrete basement. I will need to put together a business plan to present to investors. I met sooo many people working in politics hopefully I can find a few peoples to invest. I saw the NRA kit I just have not ordered it. The congressional campaign Im working on has really picked up speed eating my time up. We got some offical fundraisers on the team this morning.

My former Marine son quit his police job tonight, hes been struggling, I am urging my newly medically retired son to get him to the VA. He seriously needs to talk to someone, please pray for him Im very concerned. He put on a brave face tonight, I took the kids overnight. Im hoping his brother can get him to open up and get to the VA.

old Grump
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Prayers being said for him and every veteran that served for the last 10 years over there. Hopefully he can talk to his brother or another veteran, nobody else can quite understand like a vet can with shared experiences.

btcave
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
My former Marine son quit his police job tonight, hes been struggling, I am urging my newly medically retired son to get him to the VA. He seriously needs to talk to someone, please pray for him Im very concerned. He put on a brave face tonight, I took the kids overnight. Im hoping his brother can get him to open up and get to the VA.

I wish I wasn't 3000 miles away. I hope he seeks the help. When it gets rough enough to affect your life, it talk time. For me it's the constant vigilance and anxiety like I'm outside the wire, but others might have memories of horrific events or resurgence of fears or god knows what. There are different talk therapies. Some one on one with a therapist, some in a group of vets who shared the same war, some let the vet and his family go through the talking together. Sometimes the responsibilities of life just get to be too much and you get the old feelings bubbling up. You want to just take care of yourself and/or the team. It's simpler. Get mission, prepare for mission, do mission, return from mission, eat, go to bed. Repeat. The war is over but the mind has been programmed. Putting on a brave face will cause more hurt in the long run. It is much harder for the combat vet to accept help than to put on that strong front. Once he finally crosses that line into accepting the help of others from the VA, Chaplin, mental heath, etc. A weight of an 800 lb. Gorilla will be lifted from his back. Tell him to trust ME on this. Allen would say the same. Going to the VA saved my life and my marriage. You should research who is the best reps. Call some "combat arms" armories who have deployed in the area and they will point you to the "type A" go getters that will take care of your boy. Mine is Racheal Krokus, but she is here in the Portland, OR area. There are duds, I've run into them and your son will be turned off immediately, so please find the best if you can.

Hedning
03-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I dont tend to pray a whole lot, but there are people I pray for. My kid and those who puts their life on the line for the freedom most of us takes for granted. Domestic or not. I got a friend who suffered from some bad shit after his year in Lebanon. The scars are still there, but breaking up the appearence and get the feelings out there helped alot. Ill have little one to light a candle and pray for him too. The kids should know what it takes and pay some respect. They should know that freedom has a price. So your son will be the first soldier she prays for, thats a promise.

kathy
03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you so much all, The Prayers helped.

I had a frank talk with him and his brothers did as well. He also met with his leadership at work today. They are willing to work with him to take him out of the job that is making his stress level too high. He told me he was afraid he was becoming one of "the bad guys" and That was scaring him.

He is in the works of getting his GI Bill paperwork and going back to school and to the VA with his brother to seek treatment. My other son is not ashamed to seek help, I think it was very difficult for him as well to get to that point as well so he is very happy to help.

We will keep up the prayer and support. Thanks again.

This step will make his live so much better, I think he has been soldiering along suffering in silence for years.

kathy
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey its SPRING!!!!! Where are you OG, more counting the big day is here.:wiggle:

old Grump
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Got spring fever and itchy trigger finger all at the same time. Check the competition forum to see what I did today:ashooteremoyt7:

kathy
03-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Competition Forum?

:coffee:

old Grump
03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Competition Forum?

:coffee:Yup, this competition is set up just for shooters like you who pack a handgun. No trophies, just a fun 10 rounds with no sighting in or practice shots beforehand. You pull your gun out of the holster, and shoot at 15 yards just like you would if it was for real to see where your shots go. I was surprised at how far off my 22 was and how big my 357 group was but my 44 mag groups made me feel a little better. This is a gun board and I am trying to shake some of the shooters out of their tree's.

Hedning
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Sounds like fun....Dont know if I will be able to post anything in the competition forum this month. But Ill try to drop by the April competition. And I will use my Pardini GT9. I know its dead on, so out of the holster should work. One hand or what?.. Oh, and where do I find the right target size?

kathy
03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Im not sure when I will be able to shoot in the near future, campaign commitments are eating up all my time. In the next couple of weeks will try and make some time and show you how I do.

We went to DC yesterday, Wayne got into the Grover Norquist meeting and spoke. WOW did that open some doors! Another trip is in the future to address some other groups and media events. :happydance:

old Grump
03-22-2012, 08:33 PM
I was in a pub on Saturday night. Had a few.

I noticed two large girls by the bar.

They both had strong accents so I said: "Hi, are you two girls from Scotland ?"

One of them chirped: "It's WALES you friggin' idiot!"

So I immediately apologized and said: "Sorry, are you two whales from Scotland ?"

Then the lights went out !!!! :conf44: Do you suppose it was something I said?

old Grump
03-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Sounds like fun....Dont know if I will be able to post anything in the competition forum this month. But Ill try to drop by the April competition. And I will use my Pardini GT9. I know its dead on, so out of the holster should work. One hand or what?.. Oh, and where do I find the right target size?
Rules and target in the thread.
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?16740-OLD-GRUMPS-CARRY-GUN-CHALLENGE

kathy
03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
I was in a pub on Saturday night. Had a few.

I noticed two large girls by the bar.

They both had strong accents so I said: "Hi, are you two girls from Scotland ?"

One of them chirped: "It's WALES you friggin' idiot!"

So I immediately apologized and said: "Sorry, are you two whales from Scotland ?"

Then the lights went out !!!! :conf44: Do you suppose it was something I said?

:lol2:

Hedning
03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
That was a good one OG. I got to tell that one to my friend from Scotland.

I dont know how its over there. But the weather is too good over here. 70F today. That is not normal. I should be wearing gloves for several weeks and out. I cant complain, but Im worried about the average annual temp. If the heath gets used up now we gonna have a shitty summer. Annual average temp almost never fails....

old Grump
03-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Couple days of 26+C and a week of 21C to 23C then bam down to 7 and I am running a fever and have the screaming get outta my way I gotta get to the toilet runs. This is killing me. I need it to get cold and stay cold or get warm and stay warm.

At least I got a little shooting in and I now have another pretty little toy so I know I am going to live.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg221/scaled.php?server=221&filename=2walkersandrugeroldarmy.jpg&res=medium
3 of my toy stores finally admitted they won't order .454 balls because nobody else wants them. Makes me want to look for a new toy store but he has been to good to me and all the others in my area say the same thing. Had to break down and order a mold.

The new gun is older but never been fired. I'm looking forward to making it smoke.

Hope you can get out and shoot a gun or two or three for the challenge match. Even your BP guns qualify if you have holsters for them and you have worn the holster with the gun in it.

Hedning
03-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Have you bought yourself an 1860 or is it an 1851 Navy? Good boy either way. You are on to something. I got holsters for a couple of old timers, I might try the hot rodded Rogers & Spencer. I should be able to get a lot of points just for the amount of smoke. I use 40 grs in it. It shoots 464 balls, bore is 448. So when they exit they are ogivals, one of the reasons why it shoots so got damn straight.

The sun backed out and it was down to 10C today. Not so bad. Supposed to get colder though.

old Grump
03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Except for my inline rifle what you see in that picture is what I have for black powder. Old retired codgers on fixed incomes have to buy judiciously. Just ordered my die for the round balls, I'll just make all my own and not bother trying to find them in the stores. This way if they aren't any good it's my fault and nobody else's. Now the wait for the molds.

Weather is bouncing back and forth from rain to sunny to cloudy and back again, temps between 10 and 20C. Had to go to eye doctor today to get my new glasses. So much for buying ammunition for the next month or three. At least now I can read the fine print and I can see the front sight, that was beginning to be an eye squinting exercise that left me tired and sore after a nice day of shooting.

You still have 3 days to get a target posted for the 2,3,4 challenge match.

kathy
03-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Glasses are expensive but we need them so what are ya going to do? I am so glad you are finally getting to shoot.

Spring continues to be indecisive snow and cold one day, sunshine and 78 degrees the next. Both ground hogs were right... late spring early all shuffled together.

old Grump
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Finally got the Walkers dirty and apart for cleaning. What a wrestling match, needed two hammers, a screw driver, a pair of pliers and a roll of duct tape. First time taking a new Walker apart is not for the puny or muscle challenged. Shooting them one handed is a challenge but doable. Do Not ask me how I know and about the pain pills I took to get to sleep that night. That will learn me :losing-it: or maybe not.

Found this for you Kathy, I figured you would get a kick out of it after some of the characters you have had to deal with lately.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527372_429054043778224_100000208959270_1904099_854 944181_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527372_429054043778224_100000208959270_1904099_854 944181_n.jpg (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527372_429054043778224_100000208959270_1904099_854 944181_n.jpg)

(http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/527372_429054043778224_100000208959270_1904099_854 944181_n.jpg)
We need more Alan Wests, Ron Pauls and Kathy Browns in office to make this picture not true.

kathy
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Thsnks OG... Im working overtime to get Wayne Winsley elected and Rosa DeLauro RETIRED...

Glad you are getting so much done this year, this spring will be a goo one for you. Ive got half my garden turned by hand. Raised beds are in the plans too. My new sweetheart daughter in law wants to grow some things in the garden here as well. It will be fun.

I will post pictures when we get something to look at growing.

btcave
04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Update: Heather found Nathan in his room lying face down on the floor halfway out of his bed. He was cold and in rigor. The medical examiner stated she thought he had been gone at least 10 to 12 hours. Initial theory is he has a seizure and complications from that killed him. We will learn more after the autopsy. He was 21 years old.

He was a special needs kid growing up. He had a Trachea his first 7 years of life. His airway was reconstructed with cartilage, but he couldn't talk above a whisper. Half his diaphragm was paralyzed after nicking a nerve when removing a cyst as an infant. He aspirated food into his lungs and in 2008 we had to drain three infectious masses from his brain. The seizure may be related to that procedure. Funny it manifested 4 years later. He never seized before.

kathy
04-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Terrible News BTCave, may he rest peacefully in Gods loving arms. My prayers for Heather as well, that could not have been easy for her.

My most heartfelt Condolences to you all.

Hedning
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I just read about your loss in another post BT. My heart sunk.... Im so sorry for your loss. I hope and beleieve he is in good hands where he is now.

Hedning
04-22-2012, 02:14 PM
I wonder how BT is doing..... I hope they find a way to enjoy life again. While Im here, I hope your son is doing ok Kathy....

Have a great one everybody..

btcave
04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
We are doing fine right now. I just mowed my 2 acres of field. Heather and Nathans twin sister Sarah are shopping for clothes to wear next weekend for the "Celebration of Life" at the family church. Later we will bury his ashes at the Hettman family cemetery. He was my step-son the last 12 years, that is why his last name was Hettman and not Cave. The twins were 10 years old when I married their mother.

Heather has been keeping herself busy getting a slide presentation together to Nathans music. The minister said he had no problem with that kind of music in his church. It's pretty hard stuff.

My step-father will be doing the ceremony. He is a retired episcopalian minister. One of the most noble and nicest man I have ever met. His words will resonate with all of us.

80 degrees F here today. Unusually warm for this time of year. I'm sure the rain will be back soon.

Hedning
04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Good to hear your are doing ok BT. Best wishes to you and your family...

80F huh??! I wish... been snowing and raining here. But we`ll get there.

WOD
04-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Coffee has been determined to stave off Prostate Cancer in some studies. I drink a pot a day (10 cup), I used to drink it all day, but a pot is plenty.

Hedning
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Good... I should be pretty safe. Pot and a half per day.... and a couple glasses with my friend Jack Danieldsen.

Bluntforce
04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Coffee has been determined to stave off Prostate Cancer in some studies. I drink a pot a day (10 cup), I used to drink it all day, but a pot is plenty.

It's also good for respiration.

Janet
04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
BT, so sorry to hear about the loss of your son, My prayers for your family

kathy
04-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Yep... coffee will save us all. :coffee: (at least we can believe it)

Guess what! My candidate was call by the Romney campaign and invited to the convention. We are going to WIN!

Hedning
04-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Seems like your "stuff" goes the right way Kathy. Do you get any time to relax and just sit back watching the ants rush by?

Has anyone heard from OG lately? I havent been able to reach him.

The green winter is here and I hate it. Freezing point, rain and wind is not my favorite kind of weather. Besides that everything is kind of normal over here.

Have a great one

kathy
04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
I have not heard from OG. I hope hes not having too much fun with out us, or at least telling us about it.

The 2ND Amendment Rally today... My candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0AXaRmxXI&feature=youtu.be

old Grump
05-15-2012, 07:06 AM
I won't be around for a little while longer. Mom had a stroke a couple of weeks ago and with her other problems there was nothing else that could be done except to make her comfortable. She passed away at 0530 hours this morning and now its transport to Rhinelander and funeral. She will be laid to rest in Rhinelander next to dad who passed away in 1957 a week before Christmas. They are together again after a long separation.

kathy
05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I am so sorry OG my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

old Grump
05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks to everybody but especially btcave, Hedning and you since I'm closer with you guys. Dust is settling and we are settling back to a little more normal routine. funeral will be in Rhinelander where she will be finally reunited with dad. My two nurse sisters have taken the brunt of the grunt work, biker brother does most of the running, I will be doing the service. It will be family only so expecting a small turn out since most of the family moms age are long since passed on. Her last living sister, (90) is in a nursing home and is no longer aware of her surroundings. At least we all had a chance to say goodby, it was expected and it was peaceful, you can't ask for more than that.

btcave
05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Cool OG. Again, condolences.

We did the memorial for Nathan a couple of weeks ago and 200 people showed up. This weekend we are interning Nathans ashes to the family plot. A small immediate family event. Picnic afterwards... or pizza if the weather don't hold. My wife and I spent a wonderful weekend hiking in central Oregon. We had dinner with an Army friend who lives there with his Swiss wife. He and his wife drove 4 hours to go to Nathan's memorial and the 4 hours back to his house in one day, just to support us. I love that man. We treated him and his wonderful wife to a very nice dinner in Bend, OR yesterday. A very nice weekend.

old Grump
05-21-2012, 10:25 AM
I am glad you had a nice day, old friends do make things more bearable even if there isn't much to say, just their being there helps. Been a rough year for the coffee house crowd, I have one friend in Illinois dying of cancer after receiving a heart/lung transplant and another in a bad way in California with Parkinsons, diabetes and heart problems and these are my two oldest and closest service friends that I still keep in touch with 46 years after leaving the service. Praying for a miracle for them and yet they feel sorry for me because I can't travel to see them. Well something has to go good soon.

At least I am going to have a heck of a flower garden, most of the plants sent for my mom were in dirt so this summer the garden will be hers. She liked flowers and we had a planter outside her nursing home window for her to look at. I brought them home and transplanted them too. The June berries and the Hazel nuts are growing like gangbusters, to late for ma, if I had known they would grow so good I wpould have planted them 10 years ago. Aw shucks, I did have June berries, Dwarf cherry trees and ground cherries planted but my neighbor thought they were weeds and to help me out mowed them down. Then their dog tore up my grape vines. Some things were just not destined to be at that time.

kathy
05-24-2012, 11:30 AM
My condolences to you both and its nice to see your loved ones celebrated with such love and care.

OG you can plant all your Momma's flowers and she will smile down on your honoring of her I am sure of it.

Here I am enjoying my vegetable garden, it will be bigger and better than last year I hope.

Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend. :coffee:

old Grump
05-24-2012, 04:40 PM
My condolences to you both and its nice to see your loved ones celebrated with such love and care.

OG you can plant all your Momma's flowers and she will smile down on your honoring of her I am sure of it.

Here I am enjoying my vegetable garden, it will be bigger and better than last year I hope.

Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend. :coffee:Ma did like her flowers, probably should put in a strawberry bed for her to come down and visit, she liked her berries too. So far my sweet potatoes are doing nothing...again. I will have tomatoes and peas, I'd better get on the stick and get my turnips in the ground. radish I can plant any time. My onions are doing real good. I can put radish and carrots where the sweet potatoes were supposed to be growing. Just put in about 15 dwarf allysiums, some purple but most of them white. It sure puts a splash of color next to my butternut trees.

Wasn't paying any attention to the calendar so didn't even think about Memorial Day, For the first time in several years I won't have my flag up, I can't find an all weather flag and my old one got so shaggy I was ashamed to leave it up. I think I will have to bite the bullet and order one from a catalog, I think both the VFW and American Legion sell them.

kathy
05-26-2012, 06:52 PM
The campaign was invited to the poppy effort today with a local VFW. We had so much fun.

As for growing peas I discovered that planting one soy bean with each pea gave it a nice trellis to climb up. I got so many more nice big peas last year that way.

Ill have to post a picture of this years strawberries, they are crazy big now.:hyper:

Never Forgotten..:animatedsalute:

btcave
05-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Buried the boys ashes yesterday at the Hettman family plot. Hettman is his biological fathers name. Gave him my CIB and pounded it into his box. Medically, he fought his whole life to survive. In my opinion, he earned mine.

They are a pioneer family and have grave markers in there that date to the mid 1800's. Not old to you boys back east, but back then this was wild country. Buried next to his Grandfather Bob (brain cancer) and his Aunt Cindy (lung cancer). Too many Hettmans' lost in the last 5 years. We planted some perennials over the site.

Heathers brother Bruce fired up the stereo of his car after the burial and we had a picnic. It was a good time.

I didn't ever fall apart or cry since he died. I didn't feel nothing. I took it like I took the losses "over there". Explaining what I was burying with him and why broke the damn. It took everything I had to get the words out. I was a mess.

I guess I'm human after all.

My wife grabbed my face and told me she loves me. She hasn't said it like that in a long time. Nice to hear.

old Grump
05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I understand, a big hug from me to you.

I still have to do that with my mothers ashes next week and I have to conduct the funeral. Not looking forward to it but it is something that has to be done.

kathy
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
BTCave,

So much loss, it sounds like you had a beautiful send off for him. Im not sure what I can add other than to say, cling tight to those you love.

Prayers for you both.

btcave
05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Thank Kathy.

On a better note...

Heather and I have the garden planted. Our five mature apple tree's appear to be heading for a bumper crop. I even have some apples appearing on my 3 year old apple trees. The 3 year old pear is bare this year, but we actually had a single pear on it last year.

I made pasta with tomatoes, parmesan, olive oil, and I used the wild garlic in my yard and the greek oregano growing in the flower bed. Then I fried up some chicken in a pan with olive oil and basted the chicken with a mixture of butter, parmesan and wild garlic.

The pasta could have used some lemon, or something else to give it some kick as it was kind of bland, but the chicken was to die for.

Make every day count. Make your loved ones count.

Brian T. Cave

Hedning
06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Even though there has been tears and grief Im happy to see that you two guys are back in here. Hope you got tons of laughs and smiles coming your way.

I can give you a funny, but somewhat embarrassing story. It happened couple weeks ago when I was mowing the lawn. I was on my Murray as usual, mowing, not very interesting so I kind of just hang on to it while it makes the grass shorter. Well, one of the branches on one of my apple trees must have grown downwards. Can`t remember any trouble with them last year..... I just didnt see it. Knocked me clean of the damn thing. I sure hope no one saw that. If someone saw it, he or she is probably still laughing. Jesus...

Nothing new over here. Working at the new American Embassy, thats about the only real special thing. Weather is goofy. Had a week in the 90`s, now we are down at 50. Little one turned 8 last Saturday. My God how she is growing. Bought an old Remington Hepburn 45-70 on Wednesday.... yep, thats it... Oh, and we got the old 1938 Marx & Traube, German lathe working again today. Accurate as Swiss clockwork. No more looking arround for obsolete parts.

I forgot to ask you something OG... what is needed to grow Hazel nuts? Would that work in Norway?

old Grump
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Put the brown side down and the green side up and they should grow just fine at the lower altitudes. You are farther south than I am so you shouldn't have any problems. Mine are doing great and my Butternut trees are growing like weeds this year. unfortunately my June berries aren't thriving. My sweet potatoes didn't come up so I am going to plant squash and melons where they are and hope that works better.

Hedning
06-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Im further south? My area is like 60 deg. north. Isnt Blue river arround the 43 deg mark? I think Ill try to plant a few and see anyhow. I got a pear tree and it produce just fine, so a hazelnut might work too.

By the way, how is that Walker project going?

kathy
06-04-2012, 11:11 AM
YES!!! WALKER!! WALKER!!! WALKER!!!:hyper:

Wish I could come vote tomorrow i would, union membership is way down thanks to him freedom from the goon squads has been resonating. I wish we had that here in CT the Gov here did an executive order to farce babysitters and home heath aids into unions against their will to collect dues.

Can I grow hazelnuts here in CT? I love those.

btcave
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Can I grow hazelnuts here in CT? I love those.

I'm smack in the middle of the hazelnut capitol of the world here in Oregon. There's 100 acres of the them just a mile down the road from me. I would think CT would work too.

In North America: in the United States, hazelnut production is concentrated in Oregon; they are also grown extensively just to the north, in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia, Canada.

If they grow in British Columbia, I'd say Norway might work too.

I've got one on my back deck potted. I'm planting it this summer sometime.

old Grump
06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
You are right, you are 17 degrees north of me, but if your average low temperature is above -4 C you should still be able to grow the tree but it might only be a shrub not the full grown tree variety like I will end up with.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7811970_grow-hazelnut-trees-zone-3.html

I lost my second Walker target but I down loaded it to 35 grains and it shot the same size group and elevation as the Ruger Old army but a little bit to the right. I gave up on trying to find the right size balls for it and I just scrunch the .457 into the cylinders. Biker brother and trucker brother both have a hard time getting rid of the smile on their faces after shooting it. Mine to but then I have to clean them and the smile sort of diminishes a wee bit. I found 50 grains is more fun to shoot but not at targets closer than 50 yards because then they will shoot over the target.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8143/15yardblackpowder001.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/15yardblackpowder001.png/)
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6290/15yardblackpowder.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/15yardblackpowder.png/)
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1451/2walkersandrugeroldarmy.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/2walkersandrugeroldarmy.jpg/)

old Grump
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Went out today and started to plant the squash but found some of the sweet potatoes had finally started. Instead of the squash I pulled weeds instead, planted a few muskmelon seeds and checked my peas and tomatoes. So far so good. I wasn't to sure about the seeds because they were a few years old but they are growing like gang busters.

Tomorrow nephew has last day of school, we will finish rebuilding my saw table and then do some shooting. Time for the June Challenge match entries. Ahem, that is to say it is time for all you little boys and girls who have a gun you carry in a holster, tis time to draw and shoot it.

Hedning
06-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Ok... so everybody is on vacation!!?? Isnt that a little early?

btcave
06-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Not on vacation Hedning. We are going up to the fire lookout at Gold Butte on Saturday, to open it up for the spring. We will take photo's of course but it's going to be wet weather, so not much chance of pictuesque.

Years past...

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7595/dsc00220fp.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1475/dsc00201ty.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1781/dsc00199gtu.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2032/dscf0899.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6196/dsc00243hg.jpg

old Grump
06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Got back Tuesday night from moms funeral. Long drive to Rhinelander and nobody knew if I could make it but I did. Only family at the grave side and I conducted the ceremony at mom's request.

Biker brother drove, he who has been up there a hundred times got lost and instead of taking on us the straight route I had given him to make it easier on his sister and me he took the back road and we ended up having to take a ferry across the lake. His little detour cost us 2 hours but we did see some pretty country.

Almost made it home without a problem until we got to Madison. Told him what exit to take in order to get us around Madison and while he was quoting the exit number he took the wrong one and we ended up going straight through the middle of town in rush hour. Heavy sigh. I give up. I am convinced he was in the drivers seat but mom was driving because that is exactly what she would have done. Tell her straight and she takes a left, tell her right and she went straight. Her last hoorah I guess.

Anyway we are slowly completing our projects now that we can do our thing and not take time out for mom anymore. Rebuilt a table saw and made a bus stop shelter for David that can double as a deer blind or an ice shanty.

My giant peas are just that, giants, my sweet potatoes is going like the house was on fire, they decided to get growing before I discarded them. 2 weeks the roofers should be starting on my roof. Glad I can't do that anymore. 102 earlier but down to 94.4 F as I type this. Actually I wish I could do it, I liked roofing but today that heat would have killed me, I cant do it anymore like I used to.

My hazel nuts are doing real good and some Hostas I stole from my cousin are doing good but the 96-98 degree heat while I was gone for 4 days fried my June Berries. I will have to try again next year and lay out a sprinkler system just for them.

Later this summer we are going to have one heck of a yard sale to empty out the storage shed and clean out my shop a little so I can get some moving around room in there. Won't do it right now though, to many people broke or on vacation or just refusing to go outside in this heat and humidity.

So hows it in your neck of the woods, are you a full fledged trained professional political hack now Kathy or are you still our gal who tells it like it is?

I owes an E-mail to that little Norwegian guy, I will get to it soon, honest I will but things have been a little upside down lately and I'm just getting my legs back under me.
How is your back btcave, any problems getting up the mountain to the look out?

btcave
06-20-2012, 07:52 PM
The back is good OG. I still have siatic symptoms, but nothing I can't handle. Glad I don't have to pack 100 lbs of gear anymore. I couldn't hang with the infantry these days. I'm 43 and feel like I have a 70 year old back sometimes. Got the back issues from moms side. Damn Norwegian blood...

...at least her French side didn't take hold, or I wouldn't have a backbone. :)

Hedning
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
I dropped out there for a while.... Damn Norwegian blood huh?..... I might stop by one day and see if it looks ok..... :laugh:

Everything is pretty much the same over here. One bad summer so far and it look like its going to get even worse. Rain.... let the Britts have it.

Work is fun though. Working with the guys from Walsh at the New American Embassy is fun. Good fun guys. I got some issues with their HSE policy, but I think I might survive it.... I said might.

Range time has suffered... too much work and the family like to plan my spare time. I got no objections to that. Spending time with little one is way more important and funny. I did go to the national black powder championship this year. But I kind of blew it.

No vacation yet either... Ill take a week out in August, and then a couple weeks when the deer and moose hunt starts. And I got to plan and find time to go and kick OGs ass arround again.

Have a great one....

old Grump
07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Come and get it little buddy. Haven't had time for much shooting myself trying to catch up on projects long left behind while we dealt with other things. Need to get some balls for my new Navy 1851 and then I can do some small bore shooting too. If it was good enough for Wild Bill Hickock it's good enough for me.

Hedning
07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Wasn`t it Wild Bill Hickock that shot a guy at 75 yards with one of those? Im pretty sure he did. I think Iv read that somewhere.... A duel or somehting.

OG, do you have a good advice on how to get rid of the Spanish slug (Arion vulgaris)? They are all over the place. I got some goodies for them out there, but if you or anyone has a good method please let me know. Jesus those bastards are big. I ran into one of them with my truck last night. And my front suspension almost got wrecked. I think I got to condicer going after them with the old 10 gauge.

old Grump
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
You mean like a recipe? Never met a Spanish slug, I don't know what the slugs in my area speak, they are usually pretty quiet.

Sorry little buddy I am at a complete loss but I would think a pest control service or an entomologist with the Agriculture department at the University of Oslo would be better qualified to answer that question.

You are referring to the Tutt Hickok duel. http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/July-August-08/On-this-Day--Wild-Bill-Hickok-Duels-Davis-Tutt.html

Perfect example of why I always say it's the first good shot that wins a fight not the first shot.

Hedning
07-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Snail recipe..... Its a cold day in hell when I eat snails.. You with that French blood probably would enjoy it. Jesus... Snails are not food. Perioud....

Yep, that is the story. What I remember from the story I read somewhere Hickok said he didn`t aim. He just pointed the darn thing at him. I guess you are absolutely right, the first good shot makes a difference. Wonder how Bob Munden would respond to that. He would probably say "I do both". I wonder if there is anybody except from his mom that has ever seen his eyes.

old Grump
07-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Snails yes, slugs no, I think it has to do more with my Bohunk blood, I don't think my grandpa was much into eating escargot and the only place I ever had escargot done right was in Barcelona. The dehydrated escargot I can get domestically is edible but not really that good. Grandpa was a typical Frenchman, plain country cooking is what he wanted.

Tomac yokctep
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I hope your talking about black coffee and not the stuff with all the cream and suger.

old Grump
07-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I hope your talking about black coffee and not the stuff with all the cream and suger.
Well that Norwegian guy can drink real coffee but he prefers to see the bottom of his cup. I like it when you put a spoon in, let go and it tips over sloowwwwwwly. The only thing that should go into a coffee cup besides coffee is a donut or cookie. :coffee: Welcome to the kitchen, have a seat and pour yourself a cup.

Hedning
07-15-2012, 09:18 AM
OG... you remember it wrong. You put a coin in your cup, then pour coffee until you can`t see it anymore. Then 96% pure alcohol until you can see the coin again. Then some coffee on top... That is called a coffee doctor. Cures everything.....

old Grump
07-15-2012, 11:02 AM
OG... you remember it wrong. You put a coin in your cup, then pour coffee until you can`t see it anymore. Then 96% pure alcohol until you can see the coin again. Then some coffee on top... That is called a coffee doctor. Cures everything.....
I think I know what happened to your voice, you dissolved your larynx with that carburetor cleaner you use for liquor. :dizzy:

TScott27
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Coffee is rich with antioxidants that help delay the aging process. :)

old Grump
08-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Coffee is rich with antioxidants that help delay the aging process. :)It works, it works, I'm barely 70 and don't look a day over 118....wait a minute. Something is wrong here.

btcave
08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
It works, it works, I'm barely 70 and don't look a day over 118....wait a minute. Something is wrong here.

Boy you are quick OG.

old Grump
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Boy you are quick OG.
With a mug of black coffee in my shaky old fist I humbly bow my head in acknowledgement and admit that yes, yes I am. Whut was we talking bout agin' I fegits.

Oh yeah, coffee and Oxycontin, er I mean OxiClean.....or is that oxygenated. Well it's something like that anyway.

btcave
08-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Go shoot that 10 ga. That will loosen the cobwebs of the brain bit!

Durangokid
08-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Now if Mitt Romney becomes President there will be no coffee drinking in the White House. I think he will be the first American President to have a religion totally opposed to coffee and Tea. That will be different. Seems there are no normal Americans running for office these days.:dizzy:

old Grump
08-04-2012, 04:39 PM
The 'normal' Americans are watching American Idol, Olympics, Big Brother on TV and going unarmed to crowded venues like movie theaters and malls.

btcave
08-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I'd rather have a Mormon capitalist then a socialist any day. He's not my guy, but he'll do for now. I'm still voting for Gary Johnson, but here in Oregon, the electoral votes will definately be going to Obama, so I can place my "protest" libertarian vote with a smile on my face. The republican party is in a state of flux. I see this going on for many more years. I can only hope they start to see the fact that liberty and economy is what will win the day in the future.

That being said, I am making my lifes work outside of my job to making the bastards in the fed.gov as irrelevant in my life and the life of those around me.

btcave
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Hello? (Echo)

Hedning
09-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Im back..... I can`t help you with any opinions on your future President, but I can tell you that as you don`t get our prime minister you`ll be fine.

How has the summer been for everybody? Its been one big pile of crap over here. Worst summer since 1938. Im almost looking forward to the winter.... Almost.....

old Grump
09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Im back..... I can`t help you with any opinions on your future President, but I can tell you that as you don`t get our prime minister you`ll be fine.

How has the summer been for everybody? Its been one big pile of crap over here. Worst summer since 1938. Im almost looking forward to the winter.... Almost.....What??? You don't like Jens. I thought all you modern scandihoovians were all about socialists and you can't get much more socialist than him....except for Obama. I bet those two are so much alike that they can't stand each other.

Well that pretty much kills politics as a topic of discussion, so you didn't answer my E-mail, did you get it or have the alligators kept you from the computer.

After the lovely summer we had I am A L M O S T looking forward to winter too. Not that I want to see winter but it brings us that much closer to Spring and a new start. So how about it little buddy, gonna get here before the temps get down to -33C again?

Maybe we should all get together in btcave's little mountain look out with a bottle of Aquavit and a large pot of moose chili cooked up border style. None of your coffee doctor, I am to old to meet the devil in the kind of shape that would put me in. btcave you are closer to a local bakery, you provide the bread. Now we need to get Kathy's client elected and break her loose for a little R&R, I suspect she will need it.

btcave
09-08-2012, 07:04 PM
What??? You don't like Jens. I thought all you modern scandihoovians were all about socialists and you can't get much more socialist than him....except for Obama. I bet those two are so much alike that they can't stand each other.

Well that pretty much kills politics as a topic of discussion, so you didn't answer my E-mail, did you get it or have the alligators kept you from the computer.

After the lovely summer we had I am A L M O S T looking forward to winter too. Not that I want to see winter but it brings us that much closer to Spring and a new start. So how about it little buddy, gonna get here before the temps get down to -33C again?

Maybe we should all get together in btcave's little mountain look out with a bottle of Aquavit and a large pot of moose chili cooked up border style. None of your coffee doctor, I am to old to meet the devil in the kind of shape that would put me in. btcave you are closer to a local bakery, you provide the bread. Now we need to get Kathy's client elected and break her loose for a little R&R, I suspect she will need it.

If you fine individuals ever made it out this way, I guarantee I could make it happen. There is even a rock quarry at the bottom of the mountain to shoot! I'll bring the Tulamore Dew. Don't want to run dry you know.

I just got done shooting with AKagain (Glenn Smith) and his daughter and his betrothed. Good folk. I've known him for years, but this was the first time we met. I let him shoot the M1 Garand. He was grinning ear to ear!

old Grump
09-08-2012, 09:39 PM
If you fine individuals ever made it out this way, I guarantee I could make it happen. There is even a rock quarry at the bottom of the mountain to shoot! I'll bring the Tulamore Dew. Don't want to run dry you know.

I just got done shooting with AKagain (Glenn Smith) and his daughter and his betrothed. Good folk. I've known him for years, but this was the first time we met. I let him shoot the M1 Garand. He was grinning ear to ear!
Tulamore Dewwwww :jump:

I could bring a couple of M1's and a few hundred rounds of .308 for one of them and M2 Milsurp for the other. Of course you will have to learn me how to shoot the thing, It looks mighty complicated to me. :crazy:

btcave
09-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Went hiking this weekend about 6 miles from the lookout at a place called Opal Creek. There is a little gold mining village called Jawbone Flats, pop. 10.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg198/scaled.php?server=198&filename=dsc00433wd.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg6/scaled.php?server=6&filename=dsc00453by.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg705/scaled.php?server=705&filename=dsc00434xc.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg268/scaled.php?server=268&filename=dsc00435xq.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg846/scaled.php?server=846&filename=dsc00436ap.jpg&res=landing

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/925/dsc00448fp.jpg

...and todays shooting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al5mwNdpZZA&feature=plcp

btcave
09-08-2012, 10:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzIg1M9QLCg&feature=plcp

old Grump
09-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Saw that water and my hands ached to get hold of a rod and reel. Funny you should show a Pelton generator, When I was a munchkin almost every small town on every river in Wisconsin had one or one of the other two kinds whose names escape me at the moment. Then the big power plants came in and all the water wheels and the small steam plants got turned off pone by one and the dams slowly removed.

One of the last dams is only about 10 miles maybe less from me and they are trying to decide who is going to take it down and how so they don't floods the farmland below them. They do have to take it down because without it being used it has deteriorated and the company in charge of it no longer exists so its a fight between the village of Muscoda, Richland County. Iowa county and Grant county. You just think Washington politics is compliocated.

Funny thing is 20% of our power comes from 3 nuclear plants, one is shut down, the other two have exceeded their life span and we cannot build new ones because when the Democrats had both houses and the governors mansion they made it illegal. They also put a huge road block in front of new transmission lines at the same time they have been on the electric companies ass to provide more and cheaper power. This summer we were so close we were within 1% of redlining and closing down the system. They want their cake but they don't want to deal with the mess of making the cake.

What kind of 22 was the little lady shooting and what was she using for sights?

btcave
09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
The lady was shooting a .22 Ruger with Gentec suppressor and red dot sight. AKagain's weapon. He said the suppressor was pretty fouled up. They also sighted in his daughters .243 for deer season. He brought a Saiga 12 gauge and a Saiga .308. Pretty cool!

old Grump
09-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I sure was happy to see everybody up on their hind legs shooting, makes me think marksmanship is not a dead topic in these here United States of America.

Hedning
09-30-2012, 06:10 AM
This is a test... somehow my posts does not "stick". I have had a computer guy to look at my damn machine, so hopefully everything works again. I answered your email OG, but did you actually get it????? If not let me know (if this damn thing works again).

Diesel
09-30-2012, 08:52 AM
This is a test... somehow my posts does not "stick". I have had a computer guy to look at my damn machine, so hopefully everything works again. I answered your email OG, but did you actually get it????? If not let me know (if this damn thing works again).

Yep, you are here.

Diesel 88888888

:terrorist:

old Grump
09-30-2012, 10:10 PM
But no E-Mail.

Hedning
10-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Check your inbox again and see if its there now..... Sometimes I miss the good old postman.

charger0122
10-02-2012, 02:18 AM
i love coffee been thinkin bout brewin some that would kick you in the pants some high gravity stuff.would really wake you up!

Diesel
10-02-2012, 08:48 AM
i love coffee been thinkin bout brewin some that would kick you in the pants some high gravity stuff.would really wake you up!
Coffee...nectar of the g-ds!

In 2004 Dr. Angelo at the Seattle VA ask me about my 'habits' and I told her that I don't smoke, drink or do illegal drugs...coffee, my last sin and I'm not giving it up.

She ask me to give up the coffee...I declined..."well she said could you cut it down to one cup a day" and I replied ...NO!

This was the same occasion when they told me that I had been diagnosed with cancer and wanted to operate immediately...I declined and set about doing a couple of things that are important to me, 2nd amendment things!

I won't bore you with the details...suffice to say that I had fun...and the cancer went away on its own...being a man of great faith I can only attribute it to that and coffee.

About COFFEE...my last sin! Here is a trick for all of you folks who love the GOOD stuff. When you make a pot of coffee (12 cup) throw in a couple of cardamon pods...either into the coffee or directly into the pot as it is brewing.

For some reason cardamon makes a 'plain' coffee taste elegant and prevents the pot from going stale on the heating element or burner...another gift from G-d.

Diesel 88888888

old Grump
10-02-2012, 01:52 PM
About COFFEE...my last sin! Here is a trick for all of you folks who love the GOOD stuff. When you make a pot of coffee (12 cup) throw in a couple of cardamon pods...either into the coffee or directly into the pot as it is brewing.

For some reason cardamon makes a 'plain' coffee taste elegant and prevents the pot from going stale on the heating element or burner...another gift from G-d.

Diesel 88888888Green, Black or Madagascar and are you Scandinavian? That is a Swedish trick.

Hedning
10-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Cardamon.... Should that be cardaMOM or is there two kinds? I know cardamom very well. Used in a lot of cookies and stuff here in Norway.

Did you get my mail OG? I hope so.

Two days and Im off into the bush chasing moose..... :biggrina:

charger0122
10-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Coffee...nectar of the g-ds!

In 2004 Dr. Angelo at the Seattle VA ask me about my 'habits' and I told her that I don't smoke, drink or do illegal drugs...coffee, my last sin and I'm not giving it up.

She ask me to give up the coffee...I declined..."well she said could you cut it down to one cup a day" and I replied ...NO!

This was the same occasion when they told me that I had been diagnosed with cancer and wanted to operate immediately...I declined and set about doing a couple of things that are important to me, 2nd amendment things!

I won't bore you with the details...suffice to say that I had fun...and the cancer went away on its own...being a man of great faith I can only attribute it to that and coffee.

Diesel 88888888
man ill tell ya everybody that iv known except for 1 that went in to surgery for cancer and got cut open didnt last long at all. my brother has bone cancer and went and had half of his pelvis cut out because of it but the dr didnt put him in chemo after the surgery which should have been done and it came back worse. so he had to go through worse on down the line and is still battleing it.

old Grump
10-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Charger I am sorry to heart about your brother. It isn't much consolation maybe but I'll add him to my prayers.

Diesel
10-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Green, Black or Madagascar and are you Scandinavian? That is a Swedish trick.
Oops....my bad, green pod...fresh from a spice store, PCC, Whole Foods, etc.

Cardamon is the third most expensive spice out there...I find that a couple of ounces last me about 4 months making coffee daily...it is very light so you get quite a bit...and pricing is seasonal.

It is a North African trick, very ancient. I've always spelled it cardamon...! No, I'm a Cajun Jew, Karaite by birth from very unreligious family...even so.

Diesel 88888888

Diesel
10-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Cardamon.... Should that be cardaMOM or is there two kinds? I know cardamom very well. Used in a lot of cookies and stuff here in Norway.

Moose...delicious...however, the last time I had moose was in 1965 in BC, Canada, at a dinner put on by the BC Machine Gun Collectors (club). One of our members went for the largest, biggest, gigantic...rack that he could find and got it. My steak easily covered all of my large dinner plate, was 1/2" thick and wonderfully delicious...it was also incredibly tough, I cut off a small piece and chewed, and chewed, and...! But the flavor was incredible.

What email?

Diesel 88888888

old Grump
10-03-2012, 04:08 PM
What email?

The mail was for me because I wasn't getting it but I have it now.

Last moose I ate was about 6 or 7 years ago but it was a roast and it was so tender you could cut it with with a wooden spoon. I don't know if I liked it, the Elk or the bear better. If those 3 were rated by me I would say it was a tie and the wild turkey a close 2nd.

btcave
10-03-2012, 08:48 PM
My uncle gave us moose steaks from Alaska back in '97. I wasn't too impressed, though I may have not cooked it right as I was still young and stupid. Now that I'm old and stupid, I can say for sure that elk and rural venison (as opposed to mountain venison) are my favorites. I've never been impressed with deer taken from deep in the conifer forests of Oregon. The one I shot off my back deck last year was amazing. I'm making venison taco meat as I type this.

Diesel
10-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Dang...it is cardamom...!

Diesel 88888888

Hedning
10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Back from the bush. We got 8 out of 10 moose. The season lasts untill X-mas, so we will get them. I shot two myself. One bull and one cow. No big ones.

BT, moose meat got to be treated right to be any good. You got to let it hang long enough to scare your neighbours. The thumb rule is 40 day/degrees. That means if you got days with a temp of 5 degrees celcius you can let the meat hang for 8 days. But 40 day/degrees aint enough. We usually let it hang for 80-100 day/degrees. Especially if the animal was big. Calves does not need that kind of treatment. And when you cook moose meat you got to like bloody steaks. Moose meat got no fat. Nothing at all. If you put it on a bbq you better be fast as Bob Munden to get it out of there fast enough. Otherwise you will get something dry and awfully bad tasting stuff. My favorite recipe is a 2-3 pound steak wrapped in tin foil together with pepper, salt, juniper berries, red wine and herbs. But first you got to heat up your frying pan to hot as hell. A good portion of good butter, and then fry the steak just to get a dark brown surface on it. That keeps the juices inside the meat while you cook it in the oven. Put a termometer in the steak so you can read the core temperature. Use low heat on the oven. About 100 C. When the core reaches 65 C its ready. Take it out and let it rest for 20 minutes before you cut it. Enjoy.....

btcave
10-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks Hedning! Sounds good.

No deer yet. 3 weeks left in the season.

Hedning
11-14-2012, 01:43 PM
We are all some lazy bastards aren`t we??? I have been extremely bad at vissiting this site lately. Too bad.

Not much happening over here. Still working with Americans. Will do for like 2 more years. Great guys..

How is your whereabouts? Any snow? Naked girls? (Sorry Kathy, I dont care much about naked boys), new cars, new jobs, new guns..... Sit rep.. over.

old Grump
11-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Not lazy so much as burnt out, This last election and getting ready for winter kind of took it out of me, I know Kathy has been busier than a rabbit trying to herd cats into a dog cage. I'd like to know how her candidate done but her being in Connecticut I am afraid to look. Hopefully when our scars heal a little we will all come back. Snowed a couple of times but didn't stay. Supposed to get cold and nasty next week while I'm hunting...naturally. Sure hope they are wrong.

Diesel
11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
:coffee: Truly, nectar of the g-ds.

Diesel 88888888

old Grump
11-16-2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0XvQzUQGC_0

Here is a man who really really needs a cup of coffee.

Hedning
11-22-2012, 09:09 AM
OOOF.... I tried that once. Made my d..... shrink to the size of a medium sledge hammer.....

Diesel
11-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Diesel 88888888

old Grump
11-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Diesel 88888888Don't encourage him, he meant to say small tack hammer and then it shrunk. Now if he had been a Swede the sledge hammer would have been plausible.

silentkilla
11-24-2012, 12:50 PM
:lol: thats funny shit grump, funny shit

old Grump
11-24-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.funnieststuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=2998

I think I was related to at least 3 of those old ladies. Grandma would have been beating on him with the umbrella. My Aunt Dorothy would have been pepper spray and big purse, my sister would have been little purse and a little kicking thrown in. None of them over 5' tall and I could see them in that situation.

Hedning
11-25-2012, 02:44 PM
One of the Americans at work send that link to me a while ago. That is so funny. I wish he got that on tape!!!!!! A love his laughter......

And whaaaaaat OG?!!? Doesn`t your equipment shrink in cold water?? Well, maybe not to the size of a sledge hammer. But at least to the size of a German dinner sausage.....

old Grump
11-25-2012, 10:31 PM
I used to swim in cold water because where I grew up that's all there was, spring fed lakes in the north woods. Since I hurt my back it became a no - go because the cold would set off back spasms that would probably end up drowning me. When I got older I swam in the ocean and Lake Michigan and that wasn't very warm either which might be why all the surfers were wearing wet suits. Then I got to swim in the warm waters of the Caribbean and off Grande Island in the Philippines. Holy moly it was like swimming in a heated pool. Only equipment I worried about was being able to find the spot on the beach where I had buried my beer, hot dogs and ice. Nothing like swimming till you are plumb wore out then making a little fire on the beach, baking a potato in the fire, eating hot dogs off a stick and drinking cold beer till the wee hours of the morning. Having to go back aboard ship was a bummer but for a few hours we were human again.

Diesel
11-26-2012, 08:37 AM

When I was 15 I worked in a summer camp in New Hampshire one year, built a sweat lodge with poles, tarps and some blankets, heated up rocks; put the rocks inside, climbed in with a jug of water, closed up and threw some water on the hot stones...kept doing it as long as I could stand it before running out and jumping into the small mountain lake outside! The instant my toes hit the water I 'came alive' and can to this day remember the inch by inch emersion...Have seldom been more invigorated in my life...continued to do it many times that summer and many years thereafter. Don't care much for ocean swimming or 'dirty' lake dips.

Thinking of Sweeds and water I have a true story for you:

In the late 70's I was working in the shipyards in San Francisco, CA. On one job for Matson Lines there were several old Sweeds/Norwegians who would tell 'war' stories, WW-II, during lunch break(s); One man was on a merchant marine ship that got hit with a torpedo in the North Atlantic...they were all getting into life boats when it was noted that their boat didn't have the 'required' bucket...he immediately volunteered to rush back to stores and get one whereupon the 'stores man' admonished him, "See you don't take a new one now."

Morning folks.

Diesel 88888888

old Grump
11-26-2012, 01:00 PM
A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary
surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet
pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's
chest.
After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and
sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has
passed away."

The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the
vet..

"How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean
you haven't done any testing on him or anything.
He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the
room. He returned a few minutes later with a
Labrador Retriever.

As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the
dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on
the examination table and sniffed the duck from
top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad
eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out
of the room. A few minutes later he returned with
a cat.

The cat jumped on the table and also delicately
sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back
on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and
strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry,
but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably,
a dead duck."

The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys
and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman..
The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "$150!"
she cried, "$150 just to tell me my duck is dead!"

The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my
word for it, the bill would have been $20, but with the
Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now $150."

Hedning
11-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Good one. Ill send it the Americans here.....

Talking about ships. One of the old old guys that used to be on our moose team,........ died many years ago. Anyway, he used to be on a whale boat back in the 50`s. Arround the south pole. He went down with his ship twice. And he was the only survivor twice. So incredibly lucky to get picked up both times by a neighbour boat. After that second time he didn`t even go fishing on the small lakes arround his house. He claimed to be out of luck. And I think he was right, because the last 20 years he was hunting he did not see one single living moose.

Diesel
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM

French roast today...from the cub scout pack #144...delicious with two cardamon pods in the pot.

Diesel 88888888

:coffee::terrorist:

old Grump
11-27-2012, 03:31 PM

French roast today...from the cub scout pack #144...delicious with two cardamon pods in the pot.

Diesel 88888888

:coffee::terrorist:
Cardamom :dammit:

I know, it's a hard habit to break when you get used to hearing it and saying it wrong.

Folgers hot black and crunchy for me this morning. I needed all the help I could get and good tasting coffee would have put me back to sleep.

old Grump
11-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Good one. Ill send it the Americans here.....

Talking about ships. One of the old old guys that used to be on our moose team,........ died many years ago. Anyway, he used to be on a whale boat back in the 50`s. Arround the south pole. He went down with his ship twice. And he was the only survivor twice. So incredibly lucky to get picked up both times by a neighbour boat. After that second time he didn`t even go fishing on the small lakes arround his house. He claimed to be out of luck. And I think he was right, because the last 20 years he was hunting he did not see one single living moose.He might have seen them but chose not to do anything about it. Sounds like he was using hunting for an excuse to go walking in the woods and didn't want t mess it up with having to clean and haul out a moose. Me thinks he had all the excitement he could handle and I can't blame him.