billdncn
02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/001-6.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thanks

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Is it loose?

It is not abnormal to have a gap and some are larger than others. It's needed for cooling under rapid fire.

gpwasr10
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
It's not a custom 1911 man... it's an AK. My suggestion? You go shoot that bastard till you're blue in the face. ;-)

Full Otto
02-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Any suggestions?

Stand further back maybe?

NAPOTS
02-12-2012, 12:01 PM
If you want nice fit and finish go spend a few thousand dollars on a high end bolt action hunting rifle.

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Don't pile on the noob guys, we all asked questions when we started...

If I haven't said it welcome to the board Bill.

Full Otto
02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
You're right sorry

Welcome Bill.
Are you maybe talking about this gap? Not the one between the handgaurds

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nthg89.jpg

billdncn
02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
You're right sorry

Welcome Bill.
Are you maybe talking about this gap? Not the one between the handgaurds

http://i42.tinypic.com/2nthg89.jpg

Excactly. At the front of the lower handguard. Is there a common fix? BTW, it's not loose.

Thanks

billdncn
02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Lol, to all others.. Let me have it :bat:

JK

I know, it is what it is. I've had Les Bears, plenty of AR's, bolt guns that would keep them in a finger nail @ 200m, etc. Just wandering if there is a simple fix I'm over looking. I'm not a armorer, but didn't know where else to ask such a question.... So piss off!!

JK again

and Hi from the new guy :lets-drink:

Full Otto
02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
If it's tight I wouldn't mess with the fit.
As you might have surmised it's not a big deal but if it bugs you it's gonna always bug you till it looks better. That's how I am at times.

Best thing I can think of is to darken the wood under there. Stain paint or whatever you got laying around. Magic marker would probably work.
Disguise it and over time you probably won't notice it so much.

imanaknut
02-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately with an AK, the lower handguard can be anywhere from an even bigger gap than you have, to one that is so tight you wonder how they got the cover plate to lock in in the first place.

The butt-stock is another area where some fit perfectly against the receiver, and some sit back almost an eighth of an inch. The sad part is the AK has some very sloppy build tolerances. The good part is those tolerances are what make the AK so reliable.

Loose gas piston on the carrier, bolt is slop fit in the carrier, the whole carrier is slop fit in the receiver rails, the upper handguard can be loose with no problems, mags wiggle, and wood that doesn't fit snugly, yet the AK is an amazingly reliable weapon.

As for the gap you have, there really isn't any way to fix it because it is set by the slot in the top of the barrel that the retainer locks into. There is really no way to adjust that without pressing the barrel further into the trunion, which would then affect the head space, which is slightly more important. ;)

billdncn
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
As you might have surmised it's not a big deal but if it bugs you it's gonna always bug you till it looks better. That's how I am at times.

That's me.

billdncn
02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
imanaknut, Thanks

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Lol, to all others.. Let me have it :bat:

JK

I know, it is what it is. I've had Les Bears, plenty of AR's, bolt guns that would keep them in a finger nail @ 200m, etc. Just wandering if there is a simple fix I'm over looking. I'm not a armorer, but didn't know where else to ask such a question.... So piss off!!

JK again

and Hi from the new guy :lets-drink:

This guy is going to fit in!!!

Bill, if it really really bothers you, you could get a new stock set from www.ironwooddesigns.com

billdncn
02-12-2012, 01:35 PM
This guy is going to fit in!!!

Bill, if it really really bothers you, you could get a new stock set from www.ironwooddesigns.com

Thanks El Laton Caliente. I've looked at a lot of replacement stocks. I'll check these guy's out for sure. I do like the apperance of my wood after I refinished it though...........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/006-1.jpg

'01 SAR-1 BTW 8^)

billdncn
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Best thing I can think of is to darken the wood under there. Stain paint or whatever you got laying around. Magic marker would probably work.
Disguise it and over time you probably won't notice it so much.

Thanks again Full Otto. Blackening out the under lying wood has help to draw my attention away from it some.

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Nice SAR1, I wouldn't worry about it, they are com-block military rifles, not some high end skeet gun...

imanaknut
02-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I have to tell this story. Back in the days when the SAR series was being imported, many people complained that the rifle looked horrible. My reply was that if you want pretty, buy a Weatherby, but if you want a rifle that you can drag through the mud, sand and water, and then pick it up, shake it out, and fire it, you get an AK.

I have to agree with you though because I have taken many of those old SARs with stock sets that looked like the lacquer was brushed on or just poured on, and hand sanded, wet sanded, and then polished into a glass like finish that rivaled many Weatherbys. I played with the fit of the wood to make it fit better, sanded rough spots and did other things, but in the end, the SAR series was and still is the only true military issue AK variant ever imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

While the WASR has a special receiver designed for the US and it's silly import laws, it still used military parts to build, which in that makes them special.

billdncn
02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
I have to tell this story. Back in the days when the SAR series was being imported, many people complained that the rifle looked horrible. My reply was that if you want pretty, buy a Weatherby, but if you want a rifle that you can drag through the mud, sand and water, and then pick it up, shake it out, and fire it, you get an AK.

I have to agree with you though because I have taken many of those old SARs with stock sets that looked like the lacquer was brushed on or just poured on, and hand sanded, wet sanded, and then polished into a glass like finish that rivaled many Weatherbys. I played with the fit of the wood to make it fit better, sanded rough spots and did other things, but in the end, the SAR series was and still is the only true military issue AK variant ever imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

While the WASR has a special receiver designed for the US and it's silly import laws, it still used military parts to build, which in that makes them special.

Good story and info imanaknut! With what little knowledge I have on the AK, I was feeling the SAR's were a little special

El Laton Caliente
02-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I have a SAR1 and a SAR3, I would not have a problem using either as a go to rifle... Except the 3 developed trigger slap after a few thousand rounds. I just need to put the G2 trigger group in that I bought... just been playing with other toys...