PDA

View Full Version : true wasr-10 accuracy (not necessarily the end-all discussion!)

KalashniKid
02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
so yesterday after slapping on the ole posp 4-24 fixed scope i decided to hit up the local range to sight her in. using tulammo fmj's at 100 yards proved to be problematic considering it was extremely windy and i had no spotting scope. after about 100 rounds of hitting all over the place i decided to move it in to 50 yards so i could actually see the crap i was hitting and i figured the wind gusts wouldnt affect the shot much closer in. after about 20 rounds i was dead on, and started perforating the approx 1"x1.5" NRA logo at the bottom of the target EVERY SHOT! i wanted to take pictures of the target but it was another 45 minutes until the next "cold" session and my wife was already complaining so we left. however impressed with my results i have ordered 150 rounds of hornady steel match ammo (appears to be the best in accuracy you can get at a reasonable price) and a rear sandbag to make the gun as solid as possible for that 100 yard sight-in next weekend! intial results are promising and i should have pictures/video by this weekend (still praying for 1" grouping). i cant find any bench accuracy tests of any ak-47 clone anywhere online with optics so ive decided ill make one myself. i know every rifle is different and its not an end-all to the discussion of what can an ak-47 really group but wish me luck cuz im hoping to prove alot of haters wrong!

imanaknut
02-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Some AK/AKMs have actually shown some amazing accuracy. The reason they have be maligned is that the iron sights suck, and are good for what they were designed for, about an 8 inch group at 150 yards on a good day.

Like you have found out, installing even a mid-line scope like the POSP on the AKM, using a good rest, and good aiming procedures do amazing things for accuracy.

I have a POSP on my SAR-1, and even with my old eyes using a steady rest, have been able to hold 4 inch groups at 100 yards, which for me is great. I am guessing that someone who is steadier could do better.

was_peacemaker
02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Some AK/AKMs have actually shown some amazing accuracy. The reason they have be maligned is that the iron sights suck, and are good for what they were designed for, about an 8 inch group at 150 yards on a good day.

Like you have found out, installing even a mid-line scope like the POSP on the AKM, using a good rest, and good aiming procedures do amazing things for accuracy.

I have a POSP on my SAR-1, and even with my old eyes using a steady rest, have been able to hold 4 inch groups at 100 yards, which for me is great. I am guessing that someone who is steadier could do better.

I have found with irons that if you hold the bottom corner of the gun on the top of your shoulder, and lay your cheek across the the spine of the buttstock...you can achieve greater results. Really...try it some time with irons, just for a few rounds even.

I am hyped about getting a PSOP scope one day. Where would be the best place to look for one of these price wise?

gpwasr10
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
My old WASR10 sucked balls with the irons, but was spot on with a Kobra.

KalashniKid
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
well guys after trying the steel match ammo it actually yielded worse results than the standard Tulammo to my surprise. unfortunately i let all my friends shoot off my last 500 Tulammo with the idea that at the end i would clean, re-zero, and shoot some groups with the Hornady and tighten up my grouping. i was wrong, i didnt bring the targets home but i can tell you at 100 yards from a benchrest i was getting 3-4" groups at 100 yards. i think Tulammo HP would be better based on their 50 yard sub-1" group performance, so ive decided to just buy a few different types and post 50 yard and 100 yard bench shots (next time with pics fo sho) so ill keep yall posted on the results. i really thought that was awkward that the hornady steel match shot worse than the Tulammo.

I am hyped about getting a PSOP scope one day. Where would be the best place to look for one of these price wise?

kalinkaoptics.com may not be the cheapest but after reading bad reviews from every "bargain" site about canted reticles, bad LEDs, and overall poor quality i must say that after ordering one from kalinka (posp 4x24 simonuv reticle) i am EXTREMELY impressed with the quality, from crystal clear optics, perfect illumination, perfectly level reticle, and overall badassery that i am their customer for life. and the model i bought was $238 shipped i believe, which it arrived in two days (another awesome point) with a nice case, flip-open lens covers, original tool, bag, and cleaning cloth. it holds zero so amazingly even after detaching and putting it back on a dozen or so times (and counting) and its tough as nails. its heavy though i must say. i reccommend the 6x version though because the 4x is a little underpowered for me (just a bit) and make sure to get the SIMUNOV reticle because its built for the AK-47 and clones! its the best thing that ever happened to my WASR!!!!!

groovy mike
04-03-2012, 07:42 AM
my first time shooting a Wasr I was amazed that the groups were eaily covered by my hand at 50 yards with open sites, no rest, off hand shooting and a variety of ammunition. This is half the group size of teh Maadi AKM I had 20 years ago. I was very pleased.