PDA

View Full Version : AK in CA

scole
02-13-2012, 09:36 AM
What's up everybody? I'm new to the group and I'm thinking about picking up an AK and unfortunately I do live in California. I've seen them advertised in Atlantic Firearms and a Saiga conversion doesn't jump out at me. A few years ago I did build my own AR15 (which I love) so I'm not against building my own. I of course want to keep the cost down and I'm probably a couple of months from actually getting it. There are alot of variations out there and I wanted to get a few opinions.
Thanks

greeenie
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
What's up everybody? I'm new to the group and I'm thinking about picking up an AK and unfortunately I do live in California. I've seen them advertised in Atlantic Firearms and a Saiga conversion doesn't jump out at me. A few years ago I did build my own AR15 (which I love) so I'm not against building my own. I of course want to keep the cost down and I'm probably a couple of months from actually getting it. There are alot of variations out there and I wanted to get a few opinions.
Thanks

if u are required to stay under the 10 round requirement as per california law, the zastava eaa pap is a good option. 10 round single stack mag and is built on an rpk platform. i have one and love it

gpwasr10
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Out of curiosity, why don't the Siaga Conversions "jump out at you"?

NAPOTS
02-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Like the AR you need to have a fixed mag or go featureless.

I don't follow the AKs here as close as I do the ARs but I have seen "bullet button" for the AK that makes the mag a fixed mag in the eyes of the law.

With that you can have a bayo lug, flash supressor, and pistol grip.

you cannot use mags over 10 rounds capacity in a fixed mag rifle.

You also can't do an underfolder on an AK, the overall length is too short for CA requirements (which are different than the Fed's)

peppermintman
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Like the AR you need to have a fixed mag or go featureless.

I don't follow the AKs here as close as I do the ARs but I have seen "bullet button" for the AK that makes the mag a fixed mag in the eyes of the law.

With that you can have a bayo lug, flash supressor, and pistol grip.

you cannot use mags over 10 rounds capacity in a fixed mag rifle.

You also can't do an underfolder on an AK, the overall length is too short for CA requirements (which are different than the Fed's)

No flash supressor but you can have a muzzle brake. Bayonet? Nonono No! Folder yes as long as it's 30" minimum length folded. Pistol grip is the only feature on the list. Cannot have 2 features. You look at Atlantics website and you see Cali legal, but no bayonet lugs shipped to Cali. That mag lock is held on with 4 Allen screws.
Only suggestion I have is talk to some guys about dimpled receivers and not dimpled

NAPOTS
04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
With a mag lock you can have flash supressor pistol grip and bayo lug

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Last time I was down there the best deal in Ak's was the Saiga sporters.

Any of the "assault" style AK's were twice as expensive (at least) and really not that cool once THE LAW got done neutering them.