PDA

View Full Version : Single white male seeking Arsenal AK.

GG5789
02-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi. I'm another new bloke lookin for an ak :)

I'm looking to get an AK47 for my collection and wanted some advice. I've been looking into getting one of the Arsenal Saigas and there is one locally that I've been torn over. It is a Arsenal SGL31-61 in like new shape with less that 100 rounds through it (supposedly) comes with the factory mag, 30 rd mag and a sling. Its priced at $750 out the door.

The problem is I have always had a more romantic relationship with firearms than a practical one. This one is a 74 and I'd much rather have a 47 with wood furniture. My question is, is this a good price for this gun? Could I buy it, then possibly trade for an Arsenal 47 and just get some new furniture for it? I Don't mind spending the $750 for it but I'd like something that will hold its value and still be a fun shooter.

Also... How can I tell the difference between an Arsenal Saiga and one of the $345 saigas at cabelas? The gun is quite a drive away so I'd like to know before I make the trip. Any info helps :) sorry if this thread is redundant, I looked around best I could for the info. Thanks!

El Laton Caliente
02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the Board!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory106.aspx

Reasonable price, but not a steal. Arsenal is not making many rifles right now with wood stocksets.

The Arsenals have been converted... the trigger & guard moved forward, new stock set with pistol grip installed, barrel threaded with muzzle break and compliance parts installed. Retail, that is around $300+ in parts plus the labor.

GG5789
02-13-2012, 06:01 PM
How about this one?

I don't think the seller knows alot about it. Said it was from russia. Not one of those "crappy vegas ones" :P

threaded, milled and chrome lined. Brand new for $645?

imanaknut
02-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I personally have not kept up with the new Saiga imports because I am one of those old farts who is frustrated by our current government either destroying perfectly good rifles and then reselling them as "kits", or forcing manufacturers like Izhmash into making rifles that meet the "sporting purpose" clause of the new second amendment instead of just selling us what we want.

That said, it appears that the only difference between "Saigas" and "Arsenal" rifles is that Arsenal took the Saiga as imported and converted it back to an "evil looking weapon", and then to meet the "sporting purpose clause" removed enough russian parts so that there were no more than 10, and installed the needed USA made parts to bring the rifle up to a usable weapon. And then Arsenal tacks on their price, which rightfully is the cost of parts and labor, but then they add the "value" of their name.

In reality the Saiga is a great rifle, and the fact that the feds are allowing a Russian rifle into this country is what makes it more special.

Also, you mention threaded, milled and chrome lined. You got two of three. The Saiga is a stamped receiver rifle, as evidenced by all the rivets used in it's build. A milled rifle would not have rivets holding a trunion as they are milled into the receiver and not a separate part.

GG5789
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Awesome thanks so much for the info. Hm... The seller was telling me it was a special import. Russian barrel and receiver. Only thing US is the tapco plastic. Is this even possible? Anyway, I think I may go with a yugo if this seller is insane. I read the thread about them and they seem plenty purty.

El Laton Caliente
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
http://savvysurvivor.com/saiga1.jpg

This is an as imported Saiga. Note that the trigger is further back than the one you posted. So the trigger guard and trigger have been relocated. The pistol grip and butt have been added. Note the fore grip, unlike the Arsenal, is not modified as that require more work and parts.

That said, most of the important parts on both are Russian factory. It is really your choice.

gpwasr10
02-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I've got an SGL21-66, awesome weapon. I think the SGL's are the best AK buys out there right now.

GG5789
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
I've got a gun show coming up in march and I have a vip pass, so I can't NOT go :D I'm going to see what the pickins are like there and see if I can haggle a bit. If I can find an arsenal for a steal then I'll pick it up, but I'm thinking I may either get a "sporting" saiga or draco pistol and do some converting. The idea of throwing myself into an ak project has some appeal to it. Can anyone tell me about how difficult it would be to do these modifications? I hear that saigas have difficult stocks to work with. Would it be possible to get a nice wood stock for it? Or to add to an arsenal? I've searched around online a bit but its tough filtering out the rubbish. Also, how do the taxes and paperwork work for converting a draco? I live in Utah (anythin goes baby!) but I'm sure its federal yea? Any thread or video links would be awesome! Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it :)