PDA

View Full Version : Cost of once fired 7.62 LC brass

Infidelski
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm planning to begin reloading my own ammunition and have been shopping around for brass. There is once fired with & without primers and then there is tumbled brass with or without primers.

I'm starting out my reloading with 7.62x51 and need some help so as not to pay too much for components...

Right now a friend has a barrel of 7.62 Nato LC once fired brass with primers.

What should I expect to pay for once fired (not tumbled) with primers that need removing?

Help.... Thanks in advance.

El Laton Caliente
02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
+/-$100 per 1,000 min, or more if de-primed/tumbled...

Define "barrel". I might want to split it with you if you want if less than what I quoted. The military sells the stuff by the pound in lots to ten tons or more. If you get close to someone who is buying at that level it can get cheap. The price I stated is a resaler.

Also, be warned you are going to need a power pocket reamer.

Infidelski
02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm green to reloading but my friend Bob whom I aprentice with is schooling me again this time with reloading. I have to come up with all the components and we'll use his equipment.

There is a scrap biz in our industrial complex. Its a one man operation and we've become friends with him, we even buy and repair machinery from or for him. He said to offer him a fair price per 1000. Don't know what he paid and hate to offend him as we do biz with him regularly. The stars align only every so often, I just began reading up on reloading basics and then I see his trailer passby loaded with 55gal drums full of brass.

I'll talk again with him tomorrow if he's around and I'm happy to try and put together a group buy.

El Laton Caliente
02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I'd try to get him to name a price. He is thinking scrap metal and we are thinking usable brass.

Infidelski
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd try to get him to name a price. He is thinking scrap metal and we are thinking usable brass.

All I know is his 5,000lb single axle trailer was about to come undone entirely, I'm guessing he was overloaded by 2500 or more pounds. Thats alot of brass. Need to find going price of scrap brass, I presume brass cases would be rated No 1 scrap, yes?

Schuetzenman
02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok, I searched about 6 places that sell once fired, not processed brass. The best price I saw was about $195 / 1000 cases for once fired .308 type cases. I didn't find any Lake City cases, only Win and Fed.

10 cents is way below market. You might try 15 cents and offer to get 2,000 cases. Those can hold you a long time as you should be able to get 5 reloads per case. So potentially those 2K could be 10,000 rounds of shooting in the end.

Looking at scrap brass prices on the net I see $1.50 to $1.60 / lb. for yellow brass. I'm not sure how many .308 cases / lb. If you can figure that out it should help to set your price / offer.

El Laton Caliente
02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I found $149/1000 on gun broker.

btcave
02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
500pcs of 100% reconditioned .308 brass Price: $142.29 ($142.29 incl. TAX)

http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/product_details.php?category_id=2&item_id=87

This is who I use.

Infidelski
02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
10 cents is way below market. You might try 15 cents and offer to get 2,000 cases. Those can hold you a long time as you should be able to get 5 reloads per case. So potentially those 2K could be 10,000 rounds of shooting in the end.

Looking at scrap brass prices on the net I see $1.50 to $1.60 / lb. for yellow brass. I'm not sure how many .308 cases / lb. If you can figure that out it should help to set your price / offer.

Roughly 26-28lbs per 1000, that much I have determined pending the maker and primer... 15 cents each case per 1000 is $150/1000, I'd have to get a better deal than that being he has sooo much and its not deprimed or cleaned. I'm thinking it may be worth 7-9 cents for him to get rid of it quickly, he moves alot of equipment and material but sits on alot of stuff too.

Infidelski
02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Talked with Mr. Austin today about buying his brass. He has this lot sold already but could take out a few thousand pieces, he already sells to a wholesale reloading outfit. Good news is he has another shipment coming in the next two weeks and says he'd be open to sell all or part of that shipment (+3,000lbs). The next shipment is supposed to be made up of varying mil spec 5.56 / 7.62 / 9mm / .40SW but he says you never know what it will be made up of or quantities and usually needs some sorting which he doesnt do. I'm going to talk with him again this week about price becuase I had to run and pick up some parts.

El Laton Caliente
02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I could use 7.62, 9mm & .45... if you want to do a group thing.

From what he is saying, either he has bid on buying scap metal from the Military or is buying from someone who has. They are likely paying $1.50 a pound for the brass.

Infidelski
02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I could use 7.62, 9mm & .45... if you want to do a group thing.

From what he is saying, either he has bid on buying scap metal from the Military or is buying from someone who has. They are likely paying $1.50 a pound for the brass.

He gets it from local/regional mil training center auctions and usually buys 2-10 tons at a time. Has some strange 9mm simulator cases, half brass half ceramic for virtual training simulators.

I'm all for a group buy, it would be nice to take a 55gal drum off his hands if it could be had for 1/2 retail.

El Laton Caliente
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm in...

I have a couple thousand 5.56, but could take more although I'd like the 7.62x51 & 9mm better.

abpt1
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Im in for 2 or 3 thousand ...

Schuetzenman
02-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Roughly 26-28lbs per 1000, that much I have determined pending the maker and primer... 15 cents each case per 1000 is $150/1000, I'd have to get a better deal than that being he has sooo much and its not deprimed or cleaned. I'm thinking it may be worth 7-9 cents for him to get rid of it quickly, he moves alot of equipment and material but sits on alot of stuff too.

It would be very nice if you could get him down to that price range. I have paid as little as $45 / 1000 for pulled down never fired Win. 7.62 NATO cases back around 2003. Except for some IMI boxer primed stuff I have those are my reloadable cases. I have horded them for all these years and shoot primarily my Berdan primed Portuguese and other Surplus rounds. A group buy would be nice, but be advised many woose out and never send their money. Buy what you can afford easily is my advise. I would love more 7.62 cases but OTOH I don't really need any if you follow me.

Infidelski
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I'll work on him regarding price and dates of availability after the Presidents holiday, if he's where I think on price $70-80/1000 or LESS. Being a neighbor it would not be difficult for me to put together a purchase of any scale especially if buyers arrange their UPS/shipping pickup and agree to a handling fee enough to cover bags and boxes. He won't front me the material, that I know so we'll have to work out the paymaster but lets figure that out when we know a real price...

It would be very nice if you could get him down to that price range. I have paid as little as $45 / 1000 for pulled down never fired Win. 7.62 NATO cases back around 2003. Except for some IMI boxer primed stuff I have those are my reloadable cases. I have horded them for all these years and shoot primarily my Berdan primed Portuguese and other Surplus rounds. A group buy would be nice, but be advised many woose out and never send their money. Buy what you can afford easily is my advise. I would love more 7.62 cases but OTOH I don't really need any if you follow me.

Thanks for the intel... Approximatly 775lbs of brass in a 55gal drum, if weight is based on 7.62 with generous 28lbs/1000=27,000 cases in a drum. Thats too much of one single caliber so I'm hoping he'll sell a few 5gallon buckets here and there.

I have many more compnents to buy so I wont be going too deep on this but quite excited about loading.

El Laton Caliente
02-16-2012, 10:07 PM
I will do a good quanity if well below retail. And I've had a perfect payment record here, gunbroker and other boards for over ten years...

Infidelski
02-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I will do a good quanity if well below retail. And I've had a perfect payment record here, gunbroker and other boards for over ten years...

Same here on ebay and gunbroker, in the end its as easy as not shipping to no payers. Its explaining to wife, kids and worst of all my ol'man about getting stuck with 10,000 cases that could be a problem. Terrible vison of them making me store the cases in my office, kinda of like that million dollar superbowl ad... I'm not on the boards as much as other so would need to rely on veterans opinions when putting together. Actually more simple if the group stays small, not being a turd just saying this isn't how I make a living but still wouldn't mind helping some others out especially if quantites support a lower price.

abpt1
02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeah it would have to be around $100 a thousand to be a good deal .

I have hundreds of positive feed back all over the web....

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000363&dir=278|282|909|980 (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000363&dir=278%7C282%7C909%7C980)

El Laton Caliente
02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
If they are a really good price, any overage should be easy to turn on gunbroker. Figure a flat rate USPS box plus a couple bucks for shipping and post them at cost with no reserve and see what happens. You could make a few bucks.

Schuetzenman
02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
If they are a really good price, any overage should be easy to turn on gunbroker. Figure a flat rate USPS box plus a couple bucks for shipping and post them at cost with no reserve and see what happens. You could make a few bucks.

I second the idea of the prepaid US Post Office boxes. They have NO weight limit, so you can cram the shit out of them with cases. I got 3500 .223 LC cases 2 years ago and that's how they came. It was very cost effective.

Infidelski
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Are those the if it fit it ship boxes, then its up to 70lb per package these days. I recently got busted with over 80lbs and had to break down into 2 boxes but good idea nonetheless for shipping that you can buy online.

Schuetzenman
02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Are those the if it fit it ship boxes, then its up to 70lb per package these days. I recently got busted with over 80lbs and had to break down into 2 boxes but good idea nonetheless for shipping that you can buy online.

Yes those would be the ones, if it fits it ships.

az_paul
02-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Like Scheutz, I have all I need, but certainly be interested in 7.62X51 cases if the price was right. Same if he comes up with 30-06.

Infidelski
02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Small progress report: the seller is open to working with us on small stuffs, but stressed that he would give better price to move 55gal drum, IIRC he said full drums usually weigh 800ish lbs but don't quote me on that because this was early this morning and I was in a rush. He'll get back with me on a rate of 1.5x's 30day scrap.

I'm just getting started loading and don't need 1000's of cases but could manage 500-1000. With that in mind I'm asking ya'll if a 2lb gratuity on 30lb purchases of cases would be reasonable for processing the money, packing and handling with buyer provided if it fit its ships USPS, UPS or fedex all have online shipping. Typically 26-28lbs per 1000 of 7.62 milspec transacting 30lb lots gives the buyer 29lbs, 1,030ish cases, and 2lbs or 70ish cases to me (someone check this case/lb math I have not weighed any cases ;) . This is less than 10% actually 7ish% gratuity for making it happen.

j.parker
04-29-2012, 06:35 PM
i know this thread is a couple months old but if the oppertunity is still available i would like to get in on this im a new member so i cant pm or look up your email so i hope you see this i would be in for a 30lb order minus your cut