PDA

View Full Version : My blades are here! Now I just have to make the rest of the knives...

cevulirn
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
I guess I'm good at diving in head first. I received a couple packages in the mail today, and received a total of 4 knives... some assembly and fabrication required. The star of the show is, of course, the Spyderco Mule team 12, (Cruwear) but I also got 3 blades from Knifekits.com.

The first knifekits.com blade is their Coffin handle tactical bolo bowie :-) (http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=1326) Silly name, but a lot of knife for the money and I liked the shape. Of course, none of the holes in the tang were a standard pin size, so I drilled out the 6 smaller holes to 1/8 inch, then added a 1/4 inch hole at the butt to add a lanyard hole... I have black/red laminate G10 scales pinned/epoxied on and curing in the vice at the moment. Because I'm new and lazy, the final fitting will be done with them ON the knife, the steel of the tang will keep me from removing too much material :D I honestly have no idea how the end product will turn out visually, but I have high hopes. And hey, I needed practice before making scales for the mule!

The other two blades from knifekits were a santoku carving knife, and a santoku utility knife. Nothing fancy, but I figured they would be a welcome addition to the kitchen, and I could still get some practice in. I'll probably just make some maple scales for em, the G10 I got is a little thin for kitchen knives.

Pictures will have to wait till at least tomorrow!

Richard Simmons
02-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Sounds like some intersting and fun projects. Looking forward to the pics.

cevulirn
02-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Sounds like some interesting and fun projects. Looking forward to the pics.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://i39.tinypic.com/28ksjsj.jpg

It looks a little rougher in person, but not bad for a first try I think. Functional anyway.

gpwasr10
02-19-2012, 01:27 AM
A picture is worth a thousand words.

http://i39.tinypic.com/28ksjsj.jpg

It looks a little rougher in person, but not bad for a first try I think. Functional anyway.
I'd say a bit better then "Not Bad"... Looks bad ass.

l921428x
02-19-2012, 04:28 AM
Hot damn B that is some cool lookin steel. Gonna shave with it?

cevulirn
02-19-2012, 05:14 AM
The guys at Knifekits did a pretty good job on the grind, and the steel takes a pretty good edge. I gave it a light workout chopping on some maple with zero edge deformation.... All in all, I think I got a lot more knife then I paid for . Now I just need to get a Kydex press and start making sheathes.

Richard Simmons
02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Nice job! I like it. If you can please post an "in hand" photo. I know know the blade is 7" but it looks small in the photo without some sort of reference. How/what did you use to set the final bevel?

I bet it would do pretty good with a 30 degree primary and a 40 degree micro bevel.

What epoxy did you use on the scales and did you drill into the scales to allow space for the epoxy to flow into?

cevulirn
02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Here's a pic with some scale. Its hard for me to take a picture 'in hand', and I have rather large hands... so I found some objects you would be familiar with... :D

I don't think I really need to name them, but top to bottom they are the 'Bolo' bowie, Spyderco Mule team 12 with a simple (temporary) cord wrap, Spyderco Paramilitary 2, and a Kershaw Leek.

http://i39.tinypic.com/zmys6a.jpg

Richard Simmons
02-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks. That helps to put some scale to it. That R/B G10 was a good choice.

cevulirn
02-19-2012, 11:58 PM
In regards to the attachment: I used DevCon 2 ton clear epoxy, (also from knifekits,) and hit the surfaces with a belt sander to take any shine off. between that and the extremely tight fit of the pins, I don't think I'll have any issues, but I don't plan on this being a heavy use knife. Unlike my typhoon, the fixed blades had the final geometry already cut, so I just needed to polish the edge. For that I used my spyderco bench stone, like with all my knives. I

l921428x
02-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Hey B on the mule team, what is the purpose of the hole in the top of the blade?

cevulirn
02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey B on the mule team, what is the purpose of the hole in the top of the blade?

To prove its a Spyderco? All Spyderco knives have the 'spyder hole' in them, even the fixed blades... though often times its a lot smaller on the fixed blades. Nice to see ya in the knife forum JG.