PDA

View Full Version : Warning while working with trigger group and hammer.

was_peacemaker
02-18-2012, 01:11 AM
I noticed while I was messing around looking at mine tonight...(with the bolt carrier out), I accidentally slipped with the hammer and it hit the middle rivet pin in front of it.

I noticed that it was the skinny part of the hammer that struck the pin. Now I got to thinking...its the fat part that strikes the bolt and pin. Yet when I slipped with the hammer I noticed the skinny part of the hammer struck the pin. Got me thinking...would that weaken the hammer or the pin? Probably the only way to accidentally break the hammer or the middle rivet pin!

You guys have to excuse me...I sometimes over analyze things. But what do you guys think?

imanaknut
02-18-2012, 09:22 AM
I really don't think you are going to damage either piece enough to cause a failure unless you release the trigger many, many times without the bolt in place and let the hammer constantly strike the rivet.

Doing it once or twice should get you to remember to hold the hammer if you need to release it with the bolt removed, but I seriously doubt it would do enough to cause a failure unless the metal was bad from the beginning.

Schuetzenman
02-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Yep, clearly over analysis. Just don't do it a thousand times and all will be well.

slamfire51
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
I did it ONCE during a build.
Never did it again. No harm done if it's not done many times.