PDA

View Full Version : So is the Steyr AUG the end all be all rifle?

was_peacemaker
02-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I heard last year more are getting imported. Have to admit that I never have heard anything bad about them. Supposed to be a super reliable and accurate design.

Any folks with AUG experience.

imanaknut
02-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Been very happy with mine. They seem very strange when you first pick one up, but once you shoulder it, you suddenly realize how well they are designed.

It is a shame parts are so expensive, because the AUG, and it's Bush1-special sister the USR are designed to be able to be converted from standard right hand, to left hand use with a quick parts swap.

Accuracy with the "donut of death" scope is amazing for one that is just barely above one power. The first ones, known as the A1 had fixed scopes, but the later A2 and USA licensed and built A3 had a replaceable scope that allowed use of rails.

Some people don't like the fact that the mags are specific to the AUG, but there is a NATO conversion kit to allow standard AR mags. Funny, it is never a problem when the same person owns a pistol that has mags that can't be shared with other pistols.

I have only used Sellier & Bellot ammo through my AUG and USR and both have been 100% reliable, and more accurate than my old body can control. They are a ton of fun to shoot, and get a lot of attention at the range.

One of my babies:
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Steyr_AUG.JPG

Cleaning the AUG is simple, as the barrel comes off with a flip of a switch, the gas piston comes out easily for cleaning, and the bolt and carrier come out easily. About the only hang up to cleaning is the way the bolt is mounted to the carrier. A little odd until you have done it a few times. Nothing like the fall out design of the AK!

Can you tell I like mine?!?!!? If I ever had to sell off any firearms because I ran into money problems, my Steyrs would be the last to go, and even then I would be selling off other stuff first!

Penguin
02-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Well I hope more are comming. I finially got around to looking at a STG-556 probably 6-7 months ago and liked it a lot. It just felt like a good rifle everything fit well if that makes any sense. I didn't like it's 16" barrel though. I have been looking for one with a 20" barrel and and OD or tan stock ever sense with no luck.

mriddick
02-19-2012, 08:14 AM
My son's MSAR is dead on for the above AUG, at first it seemed abit finicky but has turned out to be a good running firearm.

Lightning 351
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
My aug a3 has been perfect.no malfunctions at all.easy to shoot sub moa groups.you can get a stock that takes ar mags.super easy to clean.very reliable.i really cant say anything bad except for the price.and pricey parts.:mgwhore: