PDA

View Full Version : AMD-65 Pistol conversion ideas

Lucenut
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I built an AMD65 kit about 5 years ago on a Global Trades thick receiver with a pistol trunion so I didn't have to worry about compliance parts. The kit was riveted except for the trunion I screwed for easier change later.

I now want to make a rifle out of it. I bought a barrel extension, and want to "permanently affix" the barrel extension and a AR-style muzzle break onto it to make the barrel legal length. I need a standard trunion if anyone has one laying around.

I would like to make a real shooter out of it and maybe give it some color with one of those bake-on finish kits. Maybe dark earth? I would also like to add a scope rail so I can properly mount a reddot type site. Is there a template or something to drill the holes for the scope rail? Is there anything better than the Kobra brackets/sights for an AK?

slamfire51
02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I built an AMD65 kit about 5 years ago on a Global Trades thick receiver with a pistol trunion so I didn't have to worry about compliance parts. The kit was riveted except for the trunion I screwed for easier change later.

I now want to make a rifle out of it. I bought a barrel extension, and want to "permanently affix" the barrel extension and a AR-style muzzle break onto it to make the barrel legal length. I need a standard trunion if anyone has one laying around.

I would like to make a real shooter out of it and maybe give it some color with one of those bake-on finish kits. Maybe dark earth? I would also like to add a scope rail so I can properly mount a reddot type site. Is there a template or something to drill the holes for the scope rail? Is there anything better than the Kobra brackets/sights for an AK?

EDIT:
I just reread your post, and see you want to make a rifle.
You will need the compliance parts and an extension or an extended muzzle device to bring the barrel to legal length.
It will have to be 'Blind Pinned' or soldered using 1400 degree silver solder. Some guys have tack welded the extension.

There are many companies that offer the color and type paint needed. GunKote is one that comes to mind. It will have to be baked to cure the paint. Aluma-Hyde ll is another, no baking, but will take a long time to air cure.

My suggestion on the scope mount would be to get a side rail, side mount with a Weaver mount so you can add most any Red Dot scopes. You will have to drill holes in the receiver for the side rail. IMO, stay away from top cover mounts.

gpwasr10
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
1st, was the receiver registered as being built into a rifle on the 4473?
I hate the ATF.

slamfire51
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I hate the ATF.

The hate is universal............

I edited my post above. I see he wants to make a rifle from a AMD pistol.

Lucenut
02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
AFAIK there is no gun registration in this country. I bought the receiver and stuck a parts kit on it. Since there are no compliance parts requirements for pistols I left it as-is.

slamfire51
02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
AFAIK there is no gun registration in this country. I bought the receiver and stuck a parts kit on it. Since there are no compliance parts requirements for pistols I left it as-is.

Care to expand on this? No registration??????????????????

Yes, pistols require no compliance parts.

Lucenut
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Gun registration? My firearms aren't "registered". I have built AK parts kits on home-rolled receivers. Neither the parts kit nor the receiver flat were ever registered. Also most of my toys were purchased or traded for from private individuals and aren't "registered".

The few toys I've purchased through FFLs of course incurred a form 4473 and a background check. The NICS background check identifying information is purged within 24 hours after the purchase is final. If a rifle was purchased in 1988 from an FFL in Tacoma Washington and I am the 4th owner and live in S. Florida, the 4473 that the FFL has to keep for a couple of decades is in no way "registration".

El Laton Caliente
02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Was the 100% receiver tranfered as a rifle, a pistol or as a transferable gun part?

slamfire51
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Gun registration? Most of my firearms aren't "registered". I have built AK parts kits on home-rolled receivers. Neither the parts kit nor the receiver flat were ever registered. Also most of my toys were purchased or traded for from private individuals and aren't "registered".

The few toys I've purchased through FFLs of course incurred a form 4473 and a background check. The NICS background check identifying information is purged within 24 hours after the purchase is final. If a rifle was purchased in 1988 from an FFL in Tacoma Washington and I am the 4th owner and live in S. Florida, the 4473 that the FFL has to keep for a couple of decades is in no way "registration".

I'm asking about the Global Trades receiver. How was it registered as El Laton Caliente asked. Someone had to have registered it at some point in time, unless it was sneaked or stolen from Global Trades.

Lucenut
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Again, there is no "registration". I purchased it from private seller. Unless you know what FFL it was transferred through it makes no difference. There is no "registration". Just the ATF 4473 sitting in some FFL somewhere.

I could have used it for a hammer.

slamfire51
02-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Again, there is no "registration". I purchased it from private seller. Unless you know what FFL it was transferred through it makes no difference. There is no "registration". Just the ATF 4473 sitting in some FFL somewhere.

I could have used it for a hammer.

The ATF does trace firearms. When I had my 01 FFL, they came to me looking for info about a handgun I sold a customer. The gun was used in a commission of a crime. They tracked it from the original buyer to the person he sold it to.

Not saying yours will end up as stated. Just clarifying the ATF does trace firearms.

Anyhoo, build away. The AMD will make a nice and accurate AK. All mine were.