PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SLG 21

Themanwithnoname
02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum and I really would like to purchase a SLG 21 but do not know much about them other than personal research. I live in OK so I don't have to get a "state compliant" model, and this will be my first assault rifle purchase. I just would like to learn more about the SLG 21 and honestly AKs in general if a few of you kind folks don't mind educating me. I have a little experience with my cousins M&P15 AR (I think is a VERY nice AR), but I am really drawn to the AK and want to purchase one before (or if) I get an AR.

gpwasr10
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?15618-looking-for-the-best-ak-for-the-money

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?15022-Got-my-SGL21-66

Here you go. I think this pretty well covers it but if you have any other questions PM me! Welcome!

Themanwithnoname
02-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Thank you very much!

gpwasr10
02-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Thank you very much!

No prob ;-)

Themanwithnoname
02-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Probably an extremely stupid question, but do you have an AK?

gpwasr10
02-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Probably an extremely stupid question, but do you have an AK?

It's only a "stupid question" if you HAVEN'T looked at the second thread I linked.... ;-)

Yes I own 1 currently, the SGL21-66. Best I have ever seen/shot/fondled, so it is the last one I will ever buy.... maybe. ;-)

Themanwithnoname
02-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Haha then yes it was a stupid question, as I got to reading and didn't pay attention to the author (had the same problem in high school lol) but I'm glad to know that. I LOVE the look of the gun but I was also raised on function, and from what you've said it is a darn fine weapon and a work of art.

gpwasr10
02-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Haha then yes it was a stupid question, as I got to reading and didn't pay attention to the author (had the same problem in high school lol) but I'm glad to know that. I LOVE the look of the gun but I was also raised on function, and from what you've said it is a darn fine weapon and a work of art.

They are VERY well made guns that will hold up for a very long time. Simple and rugged are the hallmarks of the design, but it is nice to have one that also has a good fit and finish. Pride in ownership and all that.

Themanwithnoname
02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Well I can assure you I will definitely be proud. Do you reccommend the 21 over 31? Because I've read that 5.45 is cheaper but the 7.62 is more plentiful, and there are some u.s. companies that produce it unlike the 5.45.

gpwasr10
02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Well I can assure you I will definitely be proud. Do you reccommend the 21 over 31? Because I've read that 5.45 is cheaper but the 7.62 is more plentiful, and there are some u.s. companies that produce it unlike the 5.45.

Man, that is a tough one. I don't think you can go wrong either way, and I imagine that should the supply of imported 5.45x39 ever really fall off and open a gap in the market, anout '74 pattern guns have been sold that someone would pick up the slack and start loading it. "Where there is money, there will be product".

I like the 7.62 myself, and think if you are just going to have one AK, you would do better with a x39 weapon. The round is legal to hunt with in all 50 States last I checked. But 5.45x39 is CHEAP, and you could stock pile enough of it that you may never need to worry about it going out of style. Do your research, see what round YOU think would be better for YOUR needs.