PDA

View Full Version : Garden plans???

L1A1Rocker
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Well, the time is almost upon us to start the spring planting season. Going to get my seeds ordered this week. I'm also planning on putting in two or three more raised beds this season, whatever will fit in the expanded garden "cage". I'm planing on putting in a couple of artichoke plants and a spread of asperagus this season. Unfortunatly the asperagus takes a few years growing before you get anything to harvest. The good part is, the plants produce for a number of years.

What are you folks planning?

samiam
02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
going to try to re-establish a white open-pollinated field corn that's been in my family since the 1840's . . . thought the seed had been lost but found some when I cleaned out mom's freezer . . . put a few grains in a flower pot and over 1/2 sprouted so am optimistic

greeenie
02-21-2012, 01:20 PM
thats awesome, id love to see how good old fashioned corn tastes compared to today.

On the other side, i have 4 raised beds 2 potato bins and 2 pots ready, need a bit more manure and the wife has started seedlings in the spare bedroom so long as the cat doesnt get to it lol.

00RedZX-6R
02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
thats awesome, id love to see how good old fashioned corn tastes compared to today.

On the other side, i have 4 raised beds 2 potato bins and 2 pots ready, need a bit more manure and the wife has started seedlings in the spare bedroom so long as the cat doesnt get to it lol.

I will leave the field corn to the cows and pigs and chickens. I prefer sweet corn myslef. I have eaten field corn, but it has got to be really early, and it still tastes like starch.

was_peacemaker
02-21-2012, 02:10 PM
We have already planted about 250-300 sweet onions on the farm. Going to trim and cut the fruit trees back and later we will plant tomatoes of various varieties, bell peppers, corn, asparagus, a variety of hot peppers, potatoes, green beans, and what not.

I have been tilling the ground with an SKS or semi-auto AK near by for the last 11 years or so. Got my tractor, plow, shovel, hoe, hard rake, axe, chainsaw, and mattock. While heavily armed at all times. To many wild dogs, bobcats, coyotes, rabid animals and now bear moving in the area not to be.

El Laton Caliente
02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
I haven't been home... I still need to clear trees from two areas. One for field crops and another by the house for raised beds. I'll only have one to two weeks at the house before heading to Prudhoe Bay again.

The back hoe is down... coupling between the motor and hydraulic unit. The Bobcat has hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system and is supposed to have engine oil and it needs the remotes' controls reinstalled.

Looks like I'm working on equipment again...

Warthogg
02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I live in Oklahoma City and last year was a disaster here for things like tomatoes, corn, beans, watermelons. We had thirty something days with the temp 100 or above. Most plants stop growing/setting fruit at about 96 degrees. Plus a severe drought which we are still in hurt. (OH.......okra and squash made a ton.)

HOWEVER, I'm gonna try again. Heirloom tomatoes, heirloom cukes, heirloom cantaloupes and watermelon.......a little okra and some kind of squash.

I'm still in the process of choosing what seeds/plants to buy.

I would like to recommend:

http://rareseeds.com/shop

Baker Creek (Rare Seeds).
We only offer open-pollinated seeds:

I've used these people for 5 or 6 years and really like their seeds.

Wart

davepool
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
My wifes flower garden has been in bloom for 2 weeks now and more coming out every day. She gave up on vegetables 2 years ago, got tired of feeding the rabbits and squirrels.
Good luck on the artichoke, i love them things. We had one grow to 5 feet high and about 8 feet in diameter.

On that note:

Artie and fred had been best buddies for over ten years when one day fred says to Artie

" My wife is planning on divorcing me and taking everthing i own"
"Bummer" says artie, "if you want i'll kill her and your stuff will be safe, just tell me where she goes and what she does and i'll do the deed and i'll only charge you a buck."
Artie follows her for a week and finally catches her all alone in the produce aisle of the grocery store, he sneaks up behind her and chokes her to death, as he's dragging her to the back room a little old lady sees him so he grabs her and chokes her, as he turns he sees the store manager and decides to choke him, by this time several people have seen what was going on and the police soon arrive to arrest him. Newspaper headlines the next day read:

Artie chokes 3 for a dollar at local supermarket

Helen Keller
02-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna do a 25'x50' plot this year.
Corn, Watermelon, Peppers, maybe romano tomatoes.

Only downside I gotta fence the damn thing in like a jail.

Integratedj
02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
We're doing tomatoes, amaranth, canary melons, corn, greens, lettuce, chives, onions, 2 kinds of beans, tons of herbs and some where around 15 kinds of peppers ranging from no heat to mouth rape with a branding iron.

I live in Oklahoma City and last year was a disaster here for things like tomatoes, corn, beans, watermelons. We had thirty something days with the temp 100 or above. Most plants stop growing/setting fruit at about 96 degrees. Plus a severe drought which we are still in hurt. (OH.......okra and squash made a ton.)

HOWEVER, I'm gonna try again. Heirloom tomatoes, heirloom cukes, heirloom cantaloupes and watermelon.......a little okra and some kind of squash.

I'm still in the process of choosing what seeds/plants to buy.

I would like to recommend:

http://rareseeds.com/shop

Baker Creek (Rare Seeds).

I've used these people for 5 or 6 years and really like their seeds.

Wart
we use baker creek as well and love them. I actually just placed an order with them tonight.

Try the "tomato homestead" from them. We hit 120* several times at my place last summer. They didn't bat an eye. They produced longer than any other type I've tried down here. They aren't the biggest fruits, but it was prolific enough and hardy enough that over the whole summer we pulled just under 80lbs off of them. I didn't have any splits or end rot issues either, while other types I had planted suffered from both.

Schuetzenman
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Chalk me up as a Baker Creek user of heirloom seeds. Being in GA, east of Atlanta I am running a winter garden at the moment. We have been enjoying Broccoli for a while and just harvested 3 heads of cabbage over the last 3 weeks.

Come spring (about the 1st week of March) I should be able to put out Beets, Carrotts. Around the end of the month I should be putting out the Tomatoes, Bell and Jalapeno peppers, cucumbers, pole beans and catalope mellons. I've got some corn to try out as well

I've got Almish Paste Roma types and Floradades planted to creat starter plants. Also starting onions white and red to makes some onion sets for the garden to get a bit of a head start on those.

Helen Keller
02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
any of you ever tried Cauliflower?

Schuetzenman
02-22-2012, 07:19 AM
any of you ever tried Cauliflower?

Not yet but it is similar to cabbage in temperature / growing condtions from what I read about it. I think it does better in Spring to early summer or the fall. Too much heat it doesn't like, +90 F.

was_peacemaker
02-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Chalk me up as a Baker Creek user of heirloom seeds. Being in GA, east of Atlanta I am running a winter garden at the moment. We have been enjoying Broccoli for a while and just harvested 3 heads of cabbage over the last 3 weeks.

Come spring (about the 1st week of March) I should be able to put out Beets, Carrotts. Around the end of the month I should be putting out the Tomatoes, Bell and Jalapeno peppers, cucumbers, pole beans and catalope mellons. I've got some corn to try out as well

I've got Almish Paste Roma types and Floradades planted to creat starter plants. Also starting onions white and red to makes some onion sets for the garden to get a bit of a head start on those.

You guys will be having strawberry season before to long. About another month and a half or so I believe.

El Laton Caliente
02-22-2012, 09:56 AM
The wife bought 40 strawberry plants yesterday...

was_peacemaker
02-22-2012, 01:58 PM
The wife bought 40 strawberry plants yesterday...

LOL That is awesome. You should have plenty once the season hits. Saves a lot of money when buying them.

Warthogg
02-22-2012, 02:50 PM
We're doing tomatoes, amaranth, canary melons, corn, greens, lettuce, chives, onions, 2 kinds of beans, tons of herbs and some where around 15 kinds of peppers ranging from no heat to mouth rape with a branding iron.

we use baker creek as well and love them. I actually just placed an order with them tonight.

Try the "tomato homestead" from them. We hit 120* several times at my place last summer. They didn't bat an eye. They produced longer than any other type I've tried down here. They aren't the biggest fruits, but it was prolific enough and hardy enough that over the whole summer we pulled just under 80lbs off of them. I didn't have any splits or end rot issues either, while other types I had planted suffered from both.

Added to my list.

Good to see others using Baker Creek as I believe them to be good people.

Wart

slamfire51
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
With the cost of food rising daily, and the price of fuel to get food to stores, I'm going for a big garden this year. Last couple years, I've only planted tomatoes.

Hopefully, I'll have a garden larger than this one I had a few yrs. ago.
It had cabbage, bell peppers, okra, 2 plots of corn (Trucker's Favorite, and Silver Queen), 20 tomato plants, yellow and white onions, leaf lettuce, and crook neck squash. In August, I'll be sowing turnip greens.

I'm also thinking of getting a calf and put it on my hunting property down the road. The owner raises about a hundred calves every year, so mine will have good company.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6-20-05014.jpg

slamfire51
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
If you will look at the plants at the end of the corn rows, there are multi spiked plants. These are Castor Oil Plants. I was told by an experienced gardener that they discourage moles from coming into the garden plots. It did work, but I did some research and found the following info below. For those reasons I destroyed the plants in fear my dogs would eat the seeds. If you have these on your property, be safe and destroy them.

Ricinus communis (commonly known as castor oil plant or Palma Christi). The seeds contain ricin, an extremely toxic water-soluble protein. Also present are ricinine, an alkaloid, and an irritant oil. According to the 2007 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, this plant is the most poisonous in the world. Castor oil, long used as a laxative, muscle rub, and in cosmetics, is made from the seeds, but the ricin is removed during processing. The lethal dose in adults is considered to be 4 to 8 seeds, but reports of actual poisoning are relatively rare. If ingested, symptoms may be delayed by up to 36 hours but commonly begin within 2–4 hours. These include a burning sensation in mouth and throat, abdominal pain, purging and bloody diarrhea. Within several days there is severe dehydration, a drop in blood pressure and a decrease in urine. Unless treated, death can be expected to occur within 3–5 days; if victims have not succumbed after this time, they often recover. In 1978, ricin was used to assassinate Georgi Markov, a Bulgarian dissident. He was stabbed with the point of an umbrella while waiting at a bus stop near Waterloo Station in London. After his death a perforated metallic pellet was found embedded in his leg; this had presumably contained the ricin toxin. Toxicity varies among animal species: 4 seeds will kill a rabbit, 5 a sheep, 6 an ox or horse, 7 a pig, and 11 a dog. Poisoning occurs when animals ingest broken seeds or break the seed by chewing; intact seeds may pass through the digestive tract without releasing the toxin. Ducks have shown substantial resistance to the seeds: it takes an average of 80 to kill them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/Castor_Oil_Plant_Ricinus_communis_DP254.jpg

Schuetzenman
02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
With the cost of food rising daily, and the price of fuel to get food to stores, I'm going for a big garden this year. Last couple years, I've only planted tomatoes.

Hopefully, I'll have a garden larger than this one I had a few yrs. ago.
It had cabbage, bell peppers, okra, 2 plots of corn (Trucker's Favorite, and Silver Queen), 20 tomato plants, yellow and white onions, leaf lettuce, and crook neck squash. In August, I'll be sowing turnip greens.

I'm also thinking of getting a calf and put it on my hunting property down the road. The owner raises about a hundred calves every year, so mine will have good company.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6-20-05014.jpg

You need to look into Square Foot Gardening. It gives very high yield for size of the garden and you never have to rotor till the plots.

slamfire51
02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
You need to look into Square Foot Gardening. It gives very high yield for size of the garden and you never have to rotor till the plots.

The whole area you see the garden in is 3/4 acre and atop a septic field. It's some of the most fertile ground I've seen around here. I've never used any fertilizer. Plants and lawn grass grow like crazy. I have to mow the lawn twice a week.

Besides I have a rear tine tiller that helps me get some exercise and something to do in the late afternoons.

Schuetzenman
02-23-2012, 07:39 AM
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/First_Planting_SFG_Oct_9_2011.jpg
I would of added these photos last night but Gunsnet crashed for me just after I typed in the text of my last reply. This is how a Square Foot Garden looks starting out.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/SFG_Nov_23_2011_1_.JPG
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/SFG_Nov_23_2011_B_.jpg
After some months of growth.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Jan_2011_cabbage_1_.JPG
First Cabbage harvested. Had already had 2 to 3 havests of Broccoli. Still waiting on the Beets to get large enough to pull, probably end of March on those.

jojo
02-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Only downside I gotta fence the damn thing in like a jail.

Reminds me of gardening in the Philippines. As soon as I'd go to admiring how well it was doing I'd go out and someone would have slipped in and taken it. I've got a bunch of crows that I need to thin out this year..........

L1A1Rocker
02-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the photo's Shutz, I had not seen the one with you and the picked cabage(?).

slamfire51, you garden looks GREAT! Putting it over the drain field was a smart move. I'd do that too but the drain field is a bad place when running a water softner that uses salt. Rather than lines of extra green vegetation, we have lines of brown vegetation. You may want to look into useing a modified square foot gardening technique. I say modified because you have some wonderful soil that looks to have a few years of conditioning so it is perfectly usable in square foot gardening.

The idea behind square foot gardening is to increase yield with a smaller space while simplifying the gardening process. It might be worth the effort to do a bit of googling on the topic for next years garden. The space you already have is great, imagine if you could double your harvest in the same space?

slamfire51
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the photo's Shutz, I had not seen the one with you and the picked cabage(?).

slamfire51, you garden looks GREAT! Putting it over the drain field was a smart move. I'd do that too but the drain field is a bad place when running a water softner that uses salt. Rather than lines of extra green vegetation, we have lines of brown vegetation. You may want to look into useing a modified square foot gardening technique. I say modified because you have some wonderful soil that looks to have a few years of conditioning so it is perfectly usable in square foot gardening.

The idea behind square foot gardening is to increase yield with a smaller space while simplifying the gardening process. It might be worth the effort to do a bit of googling on the topic for next years garden. The space you already have is great, imagine if you could double your harvest in the same space?

I understand the concept of sq. ft. gardening, but I like the old fashion way. I have plenty of ground and rather enjoy using the tiller. My GF is a hoer (uh, person who hoes weeds) and enjoys that also. SLUT!!! just kidding. LOL

No softeners here.
Our field lines don't really show where they are by greener strips of lawn. The whole area is a blanket of green. Very fertile ground.

I am thinking of planting a few rows of peanuts if I can find a solution to the mole problem.

Schuetzenman
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Yes that is a Cabbage, of course you only eat the head in the middle. The last one I picked on Sunday was 4Lb. 11 Oz. after all the outer leaves were removed. I've got some red cabbages growing as well in that bed but they are way behind the green ones in growth size. They may not be harvested until end of spring maybe. Planted them all at the same time.

Slamfire51, you are one lucky guy to have that much quality soil! Our soil here is shit, really shit. Can barely grow grass on it. It's red GA clay with sand in it. Hard as a rock when dry, like grease when wet. It would take dump trucks of organics to improve it and a couple hundred hours of roter tilling. Don't own a tiller either, though I could rent one locally. The square foot thing as L1A1Rocker points out is for high yield but low land use. It intests me because it solves my crappy clay soil problem. These plants are growing in a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3rd mix of vermiculite, peatmoss and compost. This stuff is light and airy, holds a lot of moisture, drains well, is packed with nutrients. It's easy to renew with more compost, supposedly no fertilzers are needed. Oh and because you never walk on the soil it never gets compacted so no tilling required.

El Laton Caliente
02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
LOL That is awesome. You should have plenty once the season hits. Saves a lot of money when buying them.

I spent $54 on "Sherry's Berrys" at Valentine's Day...

Warthogg
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM

I ordered Homestead tonight. This tomato is billed as a semi-determinate which will be a first for me. A true determinate will produce only one crop but seems that this one continued to produce for you.

Wart

Schuetzenman
02-24-2012, 07:02 AM
I ordered Homestead tonight. This tomato is billed as a semi-determinate which will be a first for me. A true determinate will produce only one crop but seems that this one continued to produce for you.

Wart

Determinate vs. indeterminate refers to the growth type of the plant. Determinate are bush type plants, indeterminate are vine type plants. Indetermanate vine plants can get 20+ feet in length. as such they need support with cages or stakes and you need to prune them to manage the growth.

Integratedj
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Wart

Mine produced from spring till I pulled them in September. They slowed down once mid August hit here.

Determinate vs. indeterminate refers to the growth type of the plant. Determinate are bush type plants, indeterminate are vine type plants. Indetermanate vine plants can get 20+ feet in length. as such they need support with cages or stakes and you need to prune them to manage the growth.

Yeah, I had some other "semis determinate" ones go almost that long on me before. These homesteads are just like a tall determinate.

Warthogg
02-24-2012, 01:46 PM

Take a look at this:

You may have heard these terms thrown around at your local seed store, in catalogs, or even at tomato exhibitions—but what do they mean?

Indeterminate tomatoes are the traditional, large, homegrown variety, and will grow and produce fruit until the first frost.

They can grow up to 12 feet tall, although the average is around 6 feet, and they will bloom and bear fruit throughout the season.

These tomatoes are typically called “vining,” and they require substantial staking or caging as well as regular pruning.

Most beefsteaks, heirlooms, and cherry varieties are indeterminate.

Determinate tomatoes are much smaller and often called “bush” because of their compact height—somewhere around 3 to 4 feet. Once the fruit sets, all ripen at about the same pace, within a 1 to 2 week span, and then the plant yellows and production drops off.

Because these are smaller plants, you won’t need to stake, cage, or prune as much if at all, and indeed, these are great for container gardens.

Typical determinate tomatoes are Rutgers, Roma, Marglobe, Pik-Red, and SuperBush.

There are also some tomatoes classified as semi-determinate, which, as you might guess, have features somewhere between indeterminate and determinate; they grow to between 3 and 5 feet tall and often require some support like staking or caging. They also may produce throughout the season, so these do require some pruning.

Some examples of semi-determinates are Celebrity and Mountain Pride.

Interestingly, until the early 20th century, all tomatoes were of the indeterminate variety until someone noticed a compact, determinate type growing in a field—a natural, fortunate mutation that has allowed all of us to try our hands at growing tomatoes even if we don’t have the space for a full vine.

http://www.tomatocasual.com/2007/09/08/what%E2%80%99s-the-difference-between-indeterminate-and-determinate-tomatoes/

This link brings up PRUNING. Do you guys prune your tomatoes ?? (I do not except just before planting.)
http://www.tomatocasual.com/2011/01/10/how-to-prune-a-tomato-plant/

Wart

.......you need to prune them to manage the growth

Missed this item in your post. Please tell me about pruning.

Integratedj
02-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, I prune off all sucker leaves any time I see them. I have tested this with several different types and have found pruning to produce higher yields.

Watch out for some of the cherry types if you don't have a lot of space. I had one last year that outgrew a 6 foot tall cage, grew across the tops of 3 other cages' and then grew up my side wall. Total length of plant from soil to tip was well over 20ft. Craziest vine I've ever had for maters.

Warthogg
02-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Yes, I prune off all sucker leaves any time I see them. I have tested this with several different types and have found pruning to produce higher yields.

Watch out for some of the cherry types if you don't have a lot of space. I had one last year that outgrew a 6 foot tall cage, grew across the tops of 3 other cages' and then grew up my side wall. Total length of plant from soil to tip was well over 20ft. Craziest vine I've ever had for maters.

Generally I grow only heirlooms, have ample room and cage every plant ....actually use two cages for many.

I'll pinch off suckers this year then.

Wart

Schuetzenman
02-24-2012, 08:09 PM

Yes, this is my experience as well. It puts more into the fruits and less into the green leaves that way.

Warthogg
02-28-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm going to try some single grafted tomatoes this year. Know this has been happening with fruit tress for a while but this is my first time with tomatoes.

Single Graft - Brandywine (Suddath Strain)
Add to wish list

SKU SKU16388
Package Size 2" Pot
Price: $8.95
Quantity
Brandywine, which dates back to 1885, is probably the first heirloom tomato to achieve "rock star" status. One taste of its superb flavor and you'll understand why. It is also the tomato that has broken the most gardener's hearts because of a tendency to be stingy with fruit and susceptibilty to dieases. Grafted onto the Mighty 'Mato rootstock, these probelms simply disappear. You'll havest many large, beefsteak-shaped fruits on upright, potato-leaved plants.

This particular strain was obtained by from Dorris Sudduth Hill whose family grew it for over 100 years and produces large, pink beefsteak-type fruits to 2 pounds. Incredibly rich, delightfully intense tomato flavor.

NOTE: Your grafted Mighty 'Mato plants are shipped in 2" plantable paper pots (as pictured on the right). Minimum order is any combination of three vegetable plants. Please note in comment box at time of order, which ship date is preferred: April 15 or May 15.
http://www.gardenlife.com/store/Single-Graft-Brandywine.html

This site and Territorial Seed have grafted plants. At least those two were all I could find.

Be interested in knowing what you guys think.

Wart

Warthogg
02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
I would be interested in knowing what varieties you guys are going to plant if you don't mind sharing.

Wart

samiam
02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Wart, plant what works in your area here's a link

http://www.fcs.okstate.edu/parenting/building_character/educators/CC!sm%20CD-Rom%20FY%2003/Resources/F-6032.pdf

slamfire51
02-29-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm going again with 'Better Boy' tomatoes since I've had really good production.
As far as other veggies, I haven't decided on which variety of seeds to get for each veggie.

Warthogg
02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Wart, plant what works in your area here's a link

http://www.fcs.okstate.edu/parenting/building_character/educators/CC!sm%20CD-Rom%20FY%2003/Resources/F-6032.pdf

Interestingly I'm already going to grow Brandywine and Carmello.........the only two not a hybrid.

My primary interests is in growing (trying to grow) heirlooms.

Thanks for the link.

Wart

Warthogg
02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm going again with 'Better Boy' tomatoes since I've had really good production.
As far as other veggies, I haven't decided on which variety of seeds to get for each veggie.

Thanks.

I'm going to plant maybe 20 different varieties this year. Sort of a personal test on what will grow here. I'll put up some names in a couple of days.

Wart

JTHunter
02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
If you have a trellis, a pergola, or a grape arbor, you can get these beans to do "double-duty" by providing shade as well. By growing up a pergola, there is good airflow under the plants to hold down fungal and mold problems. This also gives you access from below to harvest the beans.

Cobalt60
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Been a while since I've had the space to garden but the wife and I are going to container plant some tomatoes this year. She has all the necessaries to can so we're going to start, but go slow at first. With the new job I travel quite a bit over a 15 county area so I'll stop at the roadside stands to pick up what else I can find. I work with a few people that have gardens and they've all said they don't mind giving us their excess. I've started buying seed stock as the budget allows and hope to have my own garden going good by this time next year. If anyone would care to sell some excess seeds from their crops, feel free to send a PM. I'd be very interested and extremely appreciative.

Integratedj
02-29-2012, 08:25 PM
If you have a trellis, a pergola, or a grape arbor, you can get these beans to do "double-duty" by providing shade as well. By growing up a pergola, there is good airflow under the plants to hold down fungal and mold problems. This also gives you access from below to harvest the beans.

This is what I do with vine beans as well. I plant them where they can crawl all over the fences to provide shade for my peppers, and to just green up the view a bit more.
I bought a Thai long bean from baker creek a few years back that was advertised as a bush bean, but ended up being the craziest vine bean I've ever seen. 10-20ft vines easy, and the beans are the really long type that go about 14+inches. They work perfect for making shade partitions when they grow in.

Warthogg
03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Well it is about 85 degrees this afternoon in Oklahoma City. Checked the forecast and next couple of weeks looks like more of the same. Put in a ground thermometer yesterday and the soil temp was 64 degrees.

Soooo yesterday and today planted 20 tomato plants and 13 pepper plants. This is much earlier than I've planted before but with the usual summer heat thought I'd take a shot at being early.

I'm posting this so when the blizzard comes first week in April you guys can laugh at me !!

Wart

BTW, bought Homestead and turns that tomato is now an heirloom.

mrkalashnikov
03-25-2012, 05:49 PM
The missus & I just planted seeds in some sprouting trays: Romaine & Red lettuce, carrots, cukes, spinach, & sunflowers. After they sprout we'll transfer them to the garden, along w/ some tomato plants.

Our goal this summer is to grow as many fresh vegetables ourselves as we can, and X out the local grocery store. :zwinker12:

slamfire51
03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Well it is about 85 degrees this afternoon in Oklahoma City. Checked the forecast and next couple of weeks looks like more of the same. Put in a ground thermometer yesterday and the soil temp was 64 degrees.

Soooo yesterday and today planted 20 tomato plants and 13 pepper plants. This is much earlier than I've planted before but with the usual summer heat thought I'd take a shot at being early.

I'm posting this so when the blizzard comes first week in April you guys can laugh at me !!

Wart

BTW, bought Homestead and turns that tomato is now an heirloom.

I have a funny feeling this warmer weather will transition back to cold. I've seen this type weather in the past just to have it snow in the middle of April.

I'm waiting until April 30th to transplant tomatoes. Onions will go into the ground this weekend.

Warthogg
03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
I have a funny feeling this warmer weather will transition back to cold. I've seen this type weather in the past just to have it snow in the middle of April.

I'm waiting until April 30th to transplant tomatoes. Onions will go into the ground this weekend.

Average last frost date here is about April 15 so we'll see.

Wart

slamfire51
03-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Average last frost date here is about April 15 so we'll see.

Wart

Here too.
Another couple weeks after won't hurt.
I'm not taking any chances.

Warthogg
04-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Here too.

Well is now April 29 and no blizzard !!

I planted the following single GRAFTED tomato plants 4/27 and 4/28:

Green Zebra
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine (Suddath Strain)
Big Beef
Tangerine
Chocolate Stripes
Beauty King
Ananas Noire
Momotaro
Carmello
Paul Robeson
Costoluto Genovese
Pink Berkeley Tie-Die
Indigo Rose
Blush
Large Barred Boar
Copia
Speckled Roman
Japanese Trifle*

And one double graft:

Brandywine/Grand Marzano

I'm planting a broad variety but not very deep. Most of these are ones and twos.......trying to see what will produce here.

Wart

*Though named Japanese Trifele, this tomato is really a Russian Trifle.

shorthair
04-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Frost has killed my mature asparagus that came up early. I did sow many seeds before the frost. I am going to plant many butternut squash again. Right now the rye is about 10" tall. Just cleaned the raspberry beds. I hate moles. Peas are up. Ground is too cold now to plant.

Two tomato plants, some broccoli and sweet peppers and kennebec potatoes. Onion sets.

slamfire51
04-29-2012, 07:27 AM
Here too.

As I suspected, we had a killing frost right after the 15th. A lot of gardeners had ants in their pants and set out plants on the 15th. Now, they are replanting everything.

I'm glad I waited until the end of April to set out the 12 tomato, 20 okra, 8 cantaloupe, and 12 squash plants.
Planting 'Peaches and Cream', Silver Queen, Indian, and Blue Miniature corn this week.

As an added bonus veggie, Poke salad is almost ready to pick. I cleared off a large area in the back yard with a Bob Cat. As with all freshly cleared land, poke salad seems to mysteriously appear. Delicious with scrambled eggs mixed in.

mrkalashnikov
04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
We transferred everything from our planting trays to the garden the other week. After doing so (of course) the last week or so temps here in northeastern IL have been falling to the mid to upper 30's at night, after all that warm weather last month.

So far though, no hard frosts. Lots of gentle rain the last couple of days, everything looks healthy so far.

slamfire51
04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Speaking of rain, we need some badly in my area.
Thursday, a tornado touched down 15 miles West of me, a Hellish hail/rain storm 5 miles North, and not a drop of rain here.
I've been watering the garden every other day. I hope this is not a sign to come.

alismith
04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
While not really a garden, I'm into ferns, big time. I have over 200 ferns right now and still adding. Bought some exotics and planted them the other week when it was in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. Since then, the temps took a nosedive with temps flirting around the mid-30's some nights. I didn't bring in the exotics as I was too lazy and they aere already in the ground. So far, the temps don't appear to have hurt them any and the temps are going up to the mid-70's this week with lows in the 50's at night. They should do okay.

I did buy a few raspberry and blackberry sprouts and planted them. So far, most of them have new leaves, so I'm still hopeful they'll survive my brown thumb. I could kill dandilions if I planted them.... The only real success I've had has been with plastic flowers. ;)

Warthogg
04-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Speaking of rain, we need some badly in my area.
Thursday, a tornado touched down 15 miles West of me, a Hellish hail/rain storm 5 miles North, and not a drop of rain here.
I've been watering the garden every other day. I hope this is not a sign to come.

We got .7 inch of rain last night while missing the big bad stuff. 60% chance of more rain today and tonight.

(Odd to be reporting rain from Oklahoma.)

Wart

Warthogg
04-29-2012, 12:31 PM
While not really a garden, I'm into ferns, big time. I have over 200 ferns right now and still adding. Bought some exotics and planted them the other week when it was in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. Since then, the temps took a nosedive with temps flirting around the mid-30's some nights. I didn't bring in the exotics as I was too lazy and they aere already in the ground. So far, the temps don't appear to have hurt them any and the temps are going up to the mid-70's this week with lows in the 50's at night. They should do okay.

I did buy a few raspberry and blackberry sprouts and planted them. So far, most of them have new leaves, so I'm still hopeful they'll survive my brown thumb. I could kill dandilions if I planted them.... The only real success I've had has been with plastic flowers. ;)

Like a hobby then.

That's the way I treat my garden. I mean what divorced guy needs (about) 65 tomato plants !! I plant many, many different varieties in part just to see if they'll produce any tomatoes here. I plant mostly heirlooms, generally more difficult to grow, to further punish myself for being dumb enough to plant so many !!

Wart

alismith
04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Like a hobby then.

That's the way I treat my garden. I mean what divorced guy needs (about) 65 tomato plants !! I plant many, many different varieties in part just to see if they'll produce any tomatoes here. I plant mostly heirlooms, generally more difficult to grow, to further punish myself for being dumb enough to plant so many !!

Wart

:roflmao:

Besides liking ferns, they are so easy to grow. Plant them and occasionally water them and they grow. Most of the ones I have, I got from "shopping" along country roads. Since they're indigenous species, they aren't bothered by our weather.

This is the first time I'm trying "exotics." I figure about 2 weeks after planting, I should have them nice and dead...

Warthogg
05-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Well is now April 29 and no blizzard !!

I planted the following single GRAFTED tomato plants 4/27 and 4/28:

Green Zebra
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine (Suddath Strain)
Big Beef
Tangerine
Chocolate Stripes
Beauty King
Ananas Noire
Momotaro
Carmello
Paul Robeson
Costoluto Genovese
Pink Berkeley Tie-Die
Indigo Rose
Blush
Large Barred Boar
Copia
Speckled Roman
Japanese Trifle*

And one double graft:

Brandywine/Grand Marzano

I'm planting a broad variety but not very deep. Most of these are ones and twos.......trying to see what will produce here.

Wart

*Though named Japanese Trifele, this tomato is really a Russian Trifle.

Added two more single grafted plants:

Black Krim
Pineapple

First plants were put in the ground 3/24/12 and the last couple on 5/9/12.

91 tomato plants and 26 pepper plants plus assorted squash/zucchini, okra, cucumber, pole beans and ONE climbing spinach plant.

Lost 3 tomato plants....two were DOA and I think the other one committed suicide when it found itself in Oklahoma.

Wart

Warthogg
05-12-2012, 11:53 AM
:roflmao:

Besides liking ferns, they are so easy to grow. Plant them and occasionally water them and they grow. Most of the ones I have, I got from "shopping" along country roads. Since they're indigenous species, they aren't bothered by our weather.

This is the first time I'm trying "exotics." I figure about 2 weeks after planting, I should have them nice and dead...

How are they looking ???

Wart

slamfire51
06-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Here's an update on my garden. The last rain of any amount was on the 13th of May. Watering has come into play every other afternoon. Every thing was slow starting but has taken off in the last week or so.

I have tomatoes on the vine, squash also. Watermelons, cucumbers, and potatoes are blooming. 1st planting of corn is about a foot tall, 2nd (left of 1st) is about 3 inches. Onions are doing excellent.

List of veggies.
Tomatoes
Onions
Squash
Green, red, and yellow Bell Peppers
Okra
Bush beans (2 plantings)
White potatoes
Potomac Red Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Cantaloupe
Pumpkins (2 varieties) Connecticut Field, Sweet Baby.
Peaches and Cream sweet corn
Ornamental Indian corn
Blue corn
Watermelon
Carrots

Pic taken from inside May 13th during a 2 day rain.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/stormandgarden5302012007.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/stormandgarden5302012004.jpg

Pics taken today.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012003.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012004.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012007.jpg

L1A1Rocker
06-03-2012, 05:40 PM
WOW! Great looking garden Slamfire. IIRC you said it is over your drain field? We can't do that do to the water softener.

slamfire51
06-03-2012, 06:14 PM
WOW! Great looking garden Slamfire. IIRC you said it is over your drain field? We can't do that do to the water softener.

Thanks Rocker.

Yeah, the corn, potatoes, watermelons, and pumpkins are over the field lines. I'm hoping that will help with the lack of moisture when it's very dry.

Schuetzenman
06-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Here's an update on my garden. The last rain of any amount was on the 13th of May. Watering has come into play every other afternoon. Every thing was slow starting but has taken off in the last week or so.

I have tomatoes on the vine, squash also. Watermelons, cucumbers, and potatoes are blooming. 1st planting of corn is about a foot tall, 2nd (left of 1st) is about 3 inches. Onions are doing excellent.

List of veggies.
Tomatoes
Onions
Squash
Green, red, and yellow Bell Peppers
Okra
Bush beans (2 plantings)
White potatoes
Potomac Red Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Cantaloupe
Pumpkins (2 varieties) Connecticut Field, Sweet Baby.
Peaches and Cream sweet corn
Ornamental Indian corn
Blue corn
Watermelon
Carrots

Pic taken from inside May 13th during a 2 day rain.

Pics taken today.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012003.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012004.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/moonandgarden632012007.jpg

That's not a garden, that's a freaking farm! Congrats on having so much land to utilize. Will you can or freeze or do both to preserve the surplus?

slamfire51
06-03-2012, 07:32 PM
That's not a garden, that's a freaking farm! Congrats on having so much land to utilize. Will you can or freeze or do both to preserve the surplus?

LOL.
It's only slightly more than a 1/2 acre garden space.

All the veggies haven't come up yet, so it's really going to look like a farm when all of them come up.

I bought 19 dozen Ball canning jars and a new Food Saver machine with rolls and rolls of bag material.
We're planning on canning a majority, and Food Save what we can. We should be busy most of the Summer and Fall.

Partisan1983
06-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Very good thread you guys. I am slowly learning a lot.

We just got our first plants in the ground today (we had frost the second week of May).

I might take some pics, but you all in sunny states, are putting my yard to shame.

For those of you that need rain, I wish I could give you some of ours.....we've had our local rivers flooding their banks like nothing in over 20 years.

slamfire51
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I'll take some of the rain off your hands. Send it!!

This is no joke, every time we get a rain system headed our way, the rain splits just before reaching me. It's like there is a curse. There is another system due tonight and tomorrow. We'll see if the 'curse' is still on.

slamfire51
06-03-2012, 11:05 PM
A good steady rain started about an hour ago.
Looks like it will last all night. Rain will make everything kick ass.

Schuetzenman
06-04-2012, 04:55 AM
LOL.
It's only slightly more than a 1/2 acre garden space.

1/2 acre is bigger than my entire lot, which is 1/3rd total acres.

slamfire51
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Thought I'd post some close up pics of plants.

Watermelon plants are blooming.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden652012006.jpg

As are the bell peppers, cucumbers, squash, and Bush beans.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden652012001.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden652012005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden652012002.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden652012013.jpg

Got a few crook neck squash off the vines this morning. The 1st of many to come.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden652012015.jpg

Schuetzenman
06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Nice crook necks, are those from this season? Also do you can or just freeze those?

slamfire51
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Nice crook necks, are those from this season? Also do you can or just freeze those?

Yes, and both, can and freeze.

Did you read up on blanching?

Schuetzenman
06-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes, and both, can and freeze.

Did you read up on blanching?

Yes briefly. I'm wondering how the ones done sofar without blanching are going to fare.

slamfire51
06-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Yes briefly. I'm wondering how the ones done sofar without blanching are going to fare.

Depending how long they have been in the freezer, you may be able to thaw and then blanch.
This will kill any micro organisms that change the texture, color and flavor. Yes, they are still working even though they are in an ultra cold environment.

It is worth trying since the unblanched veggies already in the freezer will be soggy and less tasteful upon thawing and after they are cooked.

slamfire51
06-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Freezing

Blanching

Blanching (scalding vegetables in boiling water or steam for a short time) is a must for almost all vegetables to be frozen. It stops enzyme actions which can cause loss of flavor, color and texture.

Blanching cleanses the surface of dirt and organisms, brightens the color and helps retard loss of vitamins. It also wilts or softens vegetables and makes them easier to pack.

Blanching time is crucial and varies with the vegetable and size. Underblanching stimulates the activity of enzymes and is worse than no blanching. Overblanching causes loss of flavor, color, vitamins and minerals. Follow recommended blanching times.

Cooling

As soon as blanching is complete, vegetables should be cooled quickly and thoroughly to stop the cooking process. To cool, plunge the basket of vegetables immediately into a large quantity of cold water, 60ºF or below. Change water frequently or use cold running water or ice water. If ice is used, about one pound of ice for each pound of vegetable is needed. Cooling vegetables should take the same amount of time as blanching.

Drain vegetables thoroughly after cooling. Extra moisture can cause a loss of quality when vegetables are frozen.

Blanching Times*

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html

ETA:
While freezer bags are fine for short term storage, vacuum packed foods will last many times longer in the freezer. I have Trucker's Favorite corn and hamburger meat in FoodSaver bags from 5 yrs ago that tastes as good as the day they were frozen. Air is the main culprit of frozen food.

5.56NATO
06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
A garden plot all Americans should know about:
http://www.uhuh.com/control/garden.htm
http://www.uhuh.com/control/list-gar.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/garden_plot.htm
http://sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Operation_Cable_Splicer

slamfire51
06-06-2012, 05:35 PM

I like my 'Garden Plot' best.

Those above have NASTY produce. They could even kill you.

Schuetzenman
06-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Must we get into this sort of thing in a thread about vegetable gardens?

L1A1Rocker
06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Please take your crap to your own damn thread and stop stomping on mine.

slamfire51
06-13-2012, 12:00 PM
After a two day rain, things are really jumping in the veggie garden.

I should have some ripe maters around the 4th of July to go on those grilled burgers. YUM.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012003.jpg

The squash is really producing. We've canned 12 quart jars so far.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012005.jpg

Picked these this morning.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012006.jpg

I have some green bell peppers producing. Small right now, but when ready, they are going to be great in some recipes I have.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012007.jpg

I planted some bush beans early. They are now blooming. I planted 6 more rows. Each approx 30 ft. long 2 weeks after the 1st planting. Gonna be good next winter.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012009.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012014.jpg

Hard to see in the pic, but the potatoes are blooming.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012010.jpg

1st watermelon. WOOT!!!!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012012.jpg

Peaches and Cream sweet corn. 1st and 2nd planting. 2nd planting was 2 weeks after the first. Second is left of the large stalks. Really jumping after the rain.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6132012013.jpg

Cucumbers are blooming as well. No visible cumbers yet.

slamfire51
06-19-2012, 09:24 PM
So far, I have canned 24 Qt. jars of squash. There's at least another 12 quarts ready to can.

Cucumbers are coming is fast. I'm planning on pickling most as sweet and a few dill.

Bell peppers are coming in now. I've gotten 7 so far. Going to freeze them.

Corn has not tasseled yet, but it won't be too many more days.

Watermelons are forming nicely and almost doubling in size every couple days.

Okra is just starting to come in. Only picked 5 so far.

Beets are coming up nicely. I hate beets, but the lil lady loves them...YUCK!!!

Cantaloupes are not even close to blooming yet.

Potatoes have bloomed and will soon be ready to dig.

Pumpkins are doing good, but haven't bloomed yet.

Onions are ready to harvest.

Squash and Cucumbers

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012006.jpg

Bell Peppers and Okra

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012016.jpg

Beets and Cantaloupes

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012012.jpg

Watermelons

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012015.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012010.jpg

Tomatoes

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012003.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012005.jpg

Pumpkins

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6192012007.jpg

Schuetzenman
06-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Looking good Slam. I have bad news, boring insects wiped out my Spaghetti Squash plants in a week. I just pulled the vines last night. I found out too late that they exist and how to deal with them to save the plants. I'm going to wait a week then try to replant. This far south I might be able to get another crop in before first frost in October. Now I've got a bunch of not quite ripe squash sitting on a window sill hoping they might ripen up vs. just shrivel up.

slamfire51
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Looking good Slam. I have bad news, boring insects wiped out my Spaghetti Squash plants in a week. I just pulled the vines last night. I found out too late that they exist and how to deal with them to save the plants. I'm going to wait a week then try to replant. This far south I might be able to get another crop in before first frost in October. Now I've got a bunch of not quite ripe squash sitting on a window sill hoping they might ripen up vs. just shrivel up.

Thanks Schuetz.

Have you noticed any WHITE butterflies in your garden?
They are BAD!! My neighbor informed me about them this year. He says they are a killer of squash type plants. How they kill them is unknown to me, but according to him they are bad critters.
I have lost 2 pumpkin and 3 cantaloupe plants. They shriveled up and died.

Schuetzenman
06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Schuetz.

Have you noticed any WHITE butterflies in your garden?
They are BAD!! My neighbor informed me about them this year. He says they are a killer of squash type plants. How they kill them is unknown to me, but according to him they are bad critters.
I have lost 2 pumpkin and 3 cantaloupe plants. They shriveled up and died.

I haven't noticed the Butterflies you mentioned, they may actually be a Moth species from stuff I've read on line. They lay eggs near the ground on the plant stalks, then these hatch and the larva (caterpillars) eat into the stalks / vines. You will see holes and they cause a sawdust like discharge. Soon the stalks turn yellow and the green upper parts of the Squash or Cucumber plants will start to wither. Remedies are to wrap the plant stalk / vine with panty hose or aluminum foil from the soil up to about a foot above the ground. If you catch the damage early you can slit the vine and use tweezers to pick out the larva then wrap the plant vine up, (not sure with what, can't remember what they said to wrap it with) probably the aluminum foil or panty hose. Seven dust on the vines low can be used and one web link said liquid Seven could be injected into the vines with a hypo to poison the larva.

slamfire51
06-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I haven't noticed the Butterflies you mentioned, they may actually be a Moth species from stuff I've read on line. They lay eggs near the ground on the plant stalks, then these hatch and the larva (caterpillars) eat into the stalks / vines. You will see holes and they cause a sawdust like discharge. Soon the stalks turn yellow and the green upper parts of the Squash or Cucumber plants will start to wither. Remedies are to wrap the plant stalk / vine with panty hose or aluminum foil from the soil up to about a foot above the ground. If you catch the damage early you can slit the vine and use tweezers to pick out the larva then wrap the plant vine up, (not sure with what, can't remember what they said to wrap it with) probably the aluminum foil or panty hose. Seven dust on the vines low can be used and one web link said liquid Seven could be injected into the vines with a hypo to poison the larva.

I have injected squash plants in the past with liquid Sevan.
I always wondered how much of the poison actually got to the 'fruit' of the plant.
No 5 headed kids thus far. LOL

slamfire51
06-21-2012, 08:25 AM
It's the 1st time growing watermelons for me. I'm amazed how fast they grow.
1st pic is on the 13th of June, second is today, the 21st.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6212012004-9.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6212012003-1.jpg

Schuetzenman
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice photo that shows development progress.

slamfire51
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
After canning 48 quarts of squash and 2 gallons of sweet pickles, we are done with these two plants although they were still producing more than we needed.
This time of year, you can't even give away squash. Seems everyone is either growing it or getting freebies from gardeners.

Getting rid of the plants opened up some space for more cantaloupes.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012001.jpg

It's been 5 days since the squash plants were pulled up, they are still blooming and producing squash. Who'd thought?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012013.jpg

Peaches and Cream corn is now 7' tall and just started tasseling yesterday.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012006.jpg

The 1st planting of cantaloupes are now blooming, and I'm about to set out a few more plants I grew form seeds.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012011.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012015.jpg

Watermelons are amazing as to how fast they grow. 1st pic is of melon posted previously. I've found 12 more of this size. Damn things are hard as hell to see among all the vines.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012005.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012004.jpg

Sweet potatoes have just started blooming. Looks like they will be a late September or early October harvest.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012002.jpg

Sweet and field pumpkins are also blooming.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6252012003.jpg

Picked and pulled up 12 Kentucky Wonder green bean plants. They yielded approx. 12 lbs. of beans to be canned.

Green, yellow, and red bell peppers are coming in. I've frozen 14 so far.

BAD NEWS!!!
The workhorse of the garden, no not me, seized up yesterday. Looks like an engine overhaul is next. CRAP!!!!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden6212012002.jpg

Warthogg
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM

SOMETHING nailed my squash.

Early Girl and Lemon Boy are producing well in the tomato line. Really like Lemon Boy's sorta tart taste.

Cucumbers, okra, peppers all producing well.

Wart

Warthogg
06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Was thinking of posting a couple of pics but the gardens you guys have look ready for Marine Corps inspection while mine looks like a submarine crew coming back from a 90 day patrol !

slamfire51
06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Was thinking of posting a couple of pics but the gardens you guys have look ready for Marine Corps inspection while mine looks like a submarine crew coming back from a 90 day patrol !

Hell wart, do be intimidated by us 'Master Green Thumb' gardeners.

Post your pics.

Warthogg
06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Hell wart, do be intimidated by us 'Master Green Thumb' gardeners.

Post your pics.

Ok.....we are due to hit 105 today and very, very hot next few days. I'll post when things cool down a little.

Wart

slamfire51
06-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Ok.....we are due to hit 105 today and very, very hot next few days. I'll post when things cool down a little.

Wart

We don't want to see shriveled up dry plants.
Take some pics now before they become dry kindling....LOL

Schuetzenman
06-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Picked one ear of corn last night and ate it, damn it was sweet but a bit on the under developed side. Maybe next Tuesday or Wed. they should be ready. Also tomatoes are turning red, probably a dozen turning when I got home from work today.

The monster 100+ heat that's coming tomorrow, I wonder how these are all going to fare.

On and Wart, my spaghetti squash got wiped out by boring pests. Some sort of moth lays eggs on the stems and the larva hatch and start eating into the stalks / vines. By the time I figured out what was happening and how to deal with it they were too far gone. I may replant, I may not. The Cantelopes are finally taking off so my just let them take the space up.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/Tall_corn.jpg
Top of the tassles are 10+ feet in height.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/4_corn_on_a_stalk_1.jpg
This stalk has 4 ears, I found another with 5 and an offshoot stalk with 1 on it so 6 for that plant.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/16_inch_Long_bean.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/First_big_Jalapeno.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/4_Mosaic_long_beans_on_one_stalk.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/ruined_spaghetti_squash_2.jpg
The ruined Spaghetti Squash. This one was sitting on the ground near a vine coming out of the soil.

Schuetzenman
06-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Some update photos of the Corn in my Square Foot Garden Bed. I'm standing in front of it with my arm up, I can easily touch an 8' cealing as I'm 6'-2" tall. Corn is well beyond 10 feet. Picked a few ears this morning. Had them with dinner tonight, man were they sweet!

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Corn_shown_in_scale.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Twin_Ears_of_White_Corn.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Skinned_White_Corn.jpg
White Sweet Corn, gotta love it!

slamfire51
06-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Some update photos of the Corn in my Square Foot Garden Bed. I'm standing in front of it with my arm up, I can easily touch an 8' cealing as I'm 6'-2" tall. Corn is well beyond 10 feet. Picked a few ears this morning. Had them with dinner tonight, man were they sweet!

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Corn_shown_in_scale.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Twin_Ears_of_White_Corn.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Skinned_White_Corn.jpg
White Sweet Corn, gotta love it!

Good looking corn there Schuetz!!
What variety white corn is that?

My Peaches and Cream corn are just forming ears. I was watering them this morning and hit the tassels and it looked like a small dust storm with the pollen falling from them.
Can't wait til it comes in.

Schuetzenman
07-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Good looking corn there Schuetz!!
What variety white corn is that?

My Peaches and Cream corn are just forming ears. I was watering them this morning and hit the tassels and it looked like a small dust storm with the pollen falling from them.
Can't wait til it comes in.

Stowell's Evergreen Sweet Corn is the species. Got it from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds.
This is among the oldest sweet corn that is still in production, predating 1949. It is still a favorite of many, producing tasty white kernels. The plants used to be pulled up when completely ripe, and hung upside-down in a cool pantry; the ears would last well into the winter, in a semi-fresh state. In 1873, the seeds sold for 25 cents per pint.

Taken from Baker Creek's web site. Did some reading again on the web site. says 80 to 90 days maturity and frankly that's exactly where I am. I planted the 3rd weekend of March and it's ready now at the end of June. In theory I could plant another crop this weekend and it would be ready in September.

slamfire51
07-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I've been watering every day in June with a sprinkler.
The water bill arrived yesterday, I've used 18,600 gallons from May 22 to June 22nd. This includes normal household use. Normal water bill is $20 a month. This bill is $105.60. Shit!!
The bad part is the garden will still need to be watered until this damn high pressure system is out of here. Just a 20% chance of rain next week.

Instead of using the sprinkler, I'll be hand watering at the base of the plants.

Warthogg
07-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I've been watering every day in June with a sprinkler.
The water bill arrived yesterday, I've used 18,600 gallons from May 22 to June 22nd. This includes normal household use. Normal water bill is $20 a month. This bill is $105.60. Shit!!
The bad part is the garden will still need to be watered until this damn high pressure system is out of here. Just a 20% chance of rain next week.

Instead of using the sprinkler, I'll be hand watering at the base of the plants.

Yup.....been hand watering....just the hose not even a nozzle.

Checked our 10 day forecast and we show 0 % chance of rain but temps varying only between 92 and 99.

Wart

El Laton Caliente
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Getting ready for next year... The wife wants me to put in 2 or 3 cisterns and rain gutters.

slamfire51
07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Getting ready for next year... The wife wants me to put in 2 or 3 cisterns and rail gutters.

Good idea.

I have two 55 gallon plastic barrels full of rain/city water.
The heat here (109 Friday, 106 yesterday, 104 today) is heating it up so much, I don't water plants with it.

I'll eventually use it when the temps cool down at night.

slamfire51
07-02-2012, 06:58 AM
I was hand watering late yesterday afternoon and while watering the watermelons, I noticed a huge melon I hadn't see previously. After I finished, I cut the from the vine and brought it inside to check the ripeness.
This one weighed every bit of 15lbs.

I started cutting it open, all the while hoping it was a ripe one. As I cut, I was getting worried because there was no pinkish red center. The more I cut, the more disappointment I felt as no red color was seen. YELLOW!!
A friggen YELLOW watermelon!

After Googling it, I found that they are rarely seen in stores and are less sweet and more fibrous than the red variety. It tastes almost like the red variety, but like mentioned, it is more fibrous.

Still, I am disappointed they are not the red type. :(

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/watermelon722012004.jpg

shorthair
07-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Good idea.

I have two 55 gallon plastic barrels full of rain/city water.
The heat here (109 Friday, 106 yesterday, 104 today) is heating it up so much, I don't water plants with it.

I'll eventually use it when the temps cool down at night.

I need to figure a way to store my Thousands of gallons of sump water that is pumping from late winter through spring. Some type of tank. Any of you do this?

slamfire51
07-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I don't, but a 2000 gallon septic tank comes to mind.
Waterproof and relatively inexpensive for what is is.

Warthogg
07-02-2012, 07:52 AM
ATTENTION PLEASE !!

Here in Oklahoma City, we have a 10% chance of rain on July 11, 2012.

Wart

slamfire51
07-02-2012, 08:16 AM
ATTENTION PLEASE !!

Here in Oklahoma City, we have a 10% chance of rain on July 11, 2012.

Wart

Gotta yall beat...Nashville has a 20% chance.

I understand from whos2kno, Atlanta had a thunderstorm this morning.

Warthogg
07-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Now....from this green fingered group I have two questions:

1. Aphids - any suggestions as to what will take care of them ?? Yes I know about the hose blasting but I need something past that.

2. Squirrels - I'm being systematically ROBBED by the little assholes. Squirrels don't even like tomatoes but can't resist stealing them, having a bite and leaving the carcass so the gardener can see and be pissed off.

Wart

slamfire51
07-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Now....from this green fingered group I have two questions:

1. Aphids - any suggestions as to what will take care of them ?? Yes I know about the hose blasting but I need something past that.

2. Squirrels - I'm being systematically ROBBED by the little assholes. Squirrels don't even like tomatoes but can't resist stealing them, having a bite and leaving the carcass so the gardener can see and be pissed off.

Wart

I never identify what bugs are doing what to which plant.
I use Sevan Liquid that comes in a quart container that attaches to the garden hose.
It kills 100+ pests and is recommended for veggies and fruit plants. I used it last night after watering.

I've never had a problem with squirrels, so I'm no help there.
Groundhogs are a different story. They used to eat the crap out of my turnip greens until I got the rifle out.
Got some target practice in...fun.

Warthogg
07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
I never identify what bugs are doing what to which plant.
I use Sevan Liquid that comes in a quart container that attaches to the garden hose.
It kills 100+ pests and is recommended for veggies and fruit plants. I used it last night after watering.

I've never had a problem with squirrels, so I'm no help there.
Groundhogs are a different story. They used to eat the crap out of my turnip greens until I got the rifle out.
Got some target practice in...fun.

I don't know what the deal is with the squirrels this year as this is the first year I've had a prob with them.

Unfortunately Sevin won't get aphids but thanks.

Wart

slamfire51
07-03-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't know what the deal is with the squirrels this year as this is the first year I've had a prob with them.

Unfortunately Sevin won't get aphids but thanks.

Wart

I did not know that.

slamfire51
07-03-2012, 09:36 AM
There are several remedies for ridding aphids here.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=aphids+on+tomatoes&oq=aphids+&gs_l=hp.1.0.0l4.3856.3856.0.7095.1.1.0.0.0.0.135.1 35.0j1.1.0...0.0.N1Qb09FyE4U&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=21c0595ad86507f8&biw=853&bih=473

shorthair
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Ortho Diazinon insect spray.

Warthogg
07-03-2012, 04:38 PM
OK thanks guys.

Wart

slamfire51
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
As I hoped for and predicted, I have my 1st ripe tomato on the 4th.
I found it late this afternoon while watering.
It's next to a quart Gatorade bottle for size comparison.

Damn shame I had to eat store bought, greenhouse shit tomatoes on my burger today.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/1sttomato742012002.jpg

slamfire51
07-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Picked these yesterday.
At the rate they are getting ripe, we're getting ready to do some canning.
These sure will be good in chili and soup this winter.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/maters762012002.jpg

El Laton Caliente
07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't, but a 2000 gallon septic tank comes to mind.
Waterproof and relatively inexpensive for what is is.

The neighbor has 3 - 2500 gollon tanks and two 200 gallon totes. The 2500 gallon tanks are about a grand at Tractor Supply.

slamfire51
07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
After 2 days of heavy rain, I picked these goodies from the garden.
25 Bell Peppers and okra that needed picking 2 days ago. It'll fry up just fine.
One ear of Peaches and Cream corn that is just starting to develop kernels, and of course, tomatoes.

On the menu for tomorrow night, stuffed Bell Peppers.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/gargengoodies792012001.jpg

slamfire51
07-09-2012, 09:45 AM
An update due to my ignorance of growing watermelons.
The watermelon shown below is NOT a yellow variety. It is simply still 'green' and needed to stay on the vine longer to ripen.
I picked another yesterday from the same vine and it is red inside.
I learn something everyday.

I was hand watering late yesterday afternoon and while watering the watermelons, I noticed a huge melon I hadn't see previously. After I finished, I cut the from the vine and brought it inside to check the ripeness.
This one weighed every bit of 15lbs.

I started cutting it open, all the while hoping it was a ripe one. As I cut, I was getting worried because there was no pinkish red center. The more I cut, the more disappointment I felt as no red color was seen. YELLOW!!
A friggen YELLOW watermelon!

After Googling it, I found that they are rarely seen in stores and are less sweet and more fibrous than the red variety. It tastes almost like the red variety, but like mentioned, it is more fibrous.

Still, I am disappointed they are not the red type. :(

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/watermelon722012004.jpg

slamfire51
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
19 bell peppers cut up ready for the freezer. To date, we have gotten 40 peppers from 6 plants.
I saved out 6 for stuffed peppers tonight. Can't wait!!

I just figured what 25 bell peppers cost at the grocery. @$.98 ea., the total would be $24.50+tax.
Not a bad savings for a few hours work in the garden.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/bellpeppers7102012002.jpg

slamfire51
07-14-2012, 04:57 PM
After a week of moderate rain, the garden has really come to life.
This is the third pickings of bell peppers. The watermelons are finally ripe. Beautiful pink/red meat.
There are 15 melons and I have no idea what we're going to do with that many. Hmmm.

We had a downpour right after I picked these bell peppers.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/garden7142012.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/o2.jpg

El Jefe
07-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Damn, Slam, you're killing me. Thus far I've picked 4 bell peppers, 10 hot peppers and about 8 maters.

slamfire51
07-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Damn, Slam, you're killing me. Thus far I've picked 4 bell peppers, 10 hot peppers and about 8 maters.

Sorry. LOL
Did you plant late or has it been dry there like it has here until a week ago?

slamfire51
07-17-2012, 05:35 PM
As mentioned previously, I planted 8 rows (ea. 30' long) of Peaches and Cream corn. Today was picking day.
I picked and shucked 185 ears. Half will be canned as whole kernel, half cream style. Shucking for four hours in 98 degree heat was no fun, but had to be done.
Due to the nation wide drought and corn prices increasing, I won't have to worry about buying a can of corn with over a dollar price tag.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/corn7162012002.jpg

Also picked 9 watermelons and 9 more still in the garden. I'm planning on juicing all but 2. Juice will be good this Winter.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/watermelons7162012001.jpg

slamfire51
07-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Canned 32 pints and 12 quarts of corn from 185 ears last night. Some not pictured due to lack of counter space. Smelled like heaven.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/gardencornwatermelons7182012010.jpg

Husk pile from 185 ears.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/gardencornwatermelons7182012003hucks-1.jpg

Finished picking watermelons this morning. I gave 5 to my daughter and 2 to the next door neighbor. Juicing the remaining tonight.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/gardencornwatermelons7182012001.jpg

Two more grocery bags full of tomatoes picked today. I'll can them tomorrow night.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/gardencornwatermelons7182012011.jpg

Two 5 gallon buckets of sugar beets were pulled yesterday. They will be pickled ASAP. YUCK!!!

slamfire51
07-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Mixed up some burger meat with McCormick meat load mix, oats, tomato sauce, onions and an egg. Blanched the peppers before hand so they will be tender after baking. Wiped all with olive oil and slid them into the oven.

Man, what an aroma throughout the house.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/stuffedbell7182012001.jpg

Warthogg
07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
108 F at 7:00PM.

Wart

slamfire51
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
108 F at 7:00PM.

Wart

Come on wart, your camera won't melt.
Garden pics please.

Warthogg
07-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Come on wart, your camera won't melt.
Garden pics please.

I just feel bad about embarassing you guys. BUT, since you ask, My tomato GOLIATH is just about ready for prime time. I'll give it a little water today, shine up the leaves and try to post the pic tomorrow.

Wart

That corn looks powerful good !!

Schuetzenman
07-21-2012, 09:39 AM
As mentioned previously, I planted 8 rows (ea. 30' long) of Peaches and Cream corn. Today was picking day.
I picked and shucked 185 ears. Half will be canned as whole kernel, half cream style. Shucking for four hours in 98 degree heat was no fun, but had to be done.
Due to the nation wide drought and corn prices increasing, I won't have to worry about buying a can of corn with over a dollar price tag.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/corn7162012002.jpg

Also picked 9 watermelons and 9 more still in the garden. I'm planning on juicing all but 2. Juice will be good this Winter.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/watermelons7162012001.jpg

IS that a hybrid corn? It sure is pretty! Congrats.

slamfire51
07-21-2012, 10:48 AM
IS that a hybrid corn? It sure is pretty! Congrats.

I have no idea.
I'm a 'pick seeds off the shelf' type guy and try anything that looks interesting and tasty.
The corn is sweet and very delicious.

I juiced and froze 6 watermelons which yielded 3 gallons of sweet juice. I am reading up on how to pickle the rinds. From what I've read, they are pretty good. We'll see.

slamfire51
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Finished picking all the corn today. I have 4 grocery bags full to blanch and freeze tonight. Tomatoes are still coming in. Canning them tonight too.

So far, I've canned 31 quarts and 12 pints of tomatoes, 48 pints of yellow squash, 24 pints of sugar beets, 9 quarts of Kentucky Wonder green beans, and 6 pints of the best salsa I've eaten. I bought some Mrs. Wages salsa mix and canned the mixture. Damn good!!!

Bad news is I lost 24 pints of corn for some reason. The lids started popping a week after canning. Trying to figure what went wrong.

I found this unusual ear of corn today. Nature gone wrong.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/deformedcorn7312012002.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/deformedcorn7312012001.jpg

shorthair
08-04-2012, 10:13 AM
My garden is very small 20x70. So I have to make space. Recently had to have a new septic system lift pump and well. This work tore up the front yard. So what you see here is a Butternut Squash patch. 14 plants on seven hills.

slamfire51
08-04-2012, 10:44 AM
My garden is very small 20x70. So I have to make space. Recently had to have a new septic system lift pump and well. This work tore up the front yard. So what you see here is a Butternut Squash patch. 14 plants on seven hills.

Good looking plants, shorthair.
They will need a lot of room to run.

slamfire51
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Everything has been harvested except the sweet potatoes, cantaloupes, okra is still producing everyday, one tomato plant left, and Indian corn left to produce the beautiful decorative kernels for decorating the table this thanksgiving, and to make a couple corn pipes. Stalks are 12'+ while the Peaches and Cream sweet corn stalks were 7' max.

Ground in middle of pic is ground prepped for turnip greens.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/lastofgarden872012004.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/lastofgarden872012003.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/lastofgarden872012005.jpg

slamfire51
08-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Finally decided it was time to dig the sweet potatoes. I figured they were still small since everything I've read says to harvest them in October. Good thing I went ahead and dug them.
As you can see, they are HUGE.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/sweetpotatoesandmammaandlilgirl005.jpg

The pumpkin crop was exceptional. I had a cart (see previous watermelon post for cart size) full and decided to save the seeds and roast them.
I used real butter and sea salt and olive oil and sea salt on two separate batches. I'm going to try different seasonings.
Damn, these things are addictive. Can't stop snacking on them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/sweetpotatoesandmammaandlilgirl003.jpg

N/A
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
I found this unusual ear of corn today. Nature gone wrong.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/deformedcorn7312012002.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/deformedcorn7312012001.jpg

Corn Smut

http://officialmancard.com/tag/ustilago-maydis/

slamfire51
08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Corn Smut

That shit is eaten??????
I put it at the bottom of my looooooooooooooong list of things to try before I die. :dizzy:

El Jefe
08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Corn Smut

Yep, nasty stuff. I had never heard people ate that stuff. Yuck!

slamfire51
08-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Looks like I'm going to eat my words instead of canned corn this Winter.
The lids on all but 4 pints have popped. Meaning they are ruined. Corn was canned on 7/17. The last lid to pop was yesterday. Just a matter of time before the remaining ones unseal. 74 jars of corn, GONE.

In addition, 12 jars of green beans, 1 jar of beets, and 3 of squash have popped. All the quarts and pints of tomatoes are fine.

We've been canning for years and can't figure what the Hell the problem with them unsealing is. Everything was done by the 'book' and from experience.

Looks like everything will be frozen next year.
Anyone need 10 cases of Ball jars and lids, NIB? LOL

Well HELL!!

El Jefe
08-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Bad seals?

N/A
08-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Yep, nasty stuff. I had never heard people ate that stuff. Yuck!

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/corn-smut

On the other hand, fans of authentic Mexican food greet the fungus (known as huitlacoche in Mexico) as a rare treat that adds a smoky, mushroom flavor to quesadillas, tamales, soups, and other Mexican dishes. Huitlacoche ("wee-tlah-KOH-cheh"), also referred to as Mexican corn truffle, can be eaten either cooked or fresh.

slamfire51
08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Bad seals?

That's what I'm thinking.
I'm calling Ball tomorrow and see if they can shine a light on the problem.

Schuetzenman
08-14-2012, 06:35 AM
Looks like I'm going to eat my words instead of canned corn this Winter.
The lids on all but 4 pints have popped. Meaning they are ruined. Corn was canned on 7/17. The last lid to pop was yesterday. Just a matter of time before the remaining ones unseal. 74 jars of corn, GONE.

In addition, 12 jars of green beans, 1 jar of beets, and 3 of squash have popped. All the quarts and pints of tomatoes are fine.

We've been canning for years and can't figure what the Hell the problem with them unsealing is. Everything was done by the 'book' and from experience.

Looks like everything will be frozen next year.
Anyone need 10 cases of Ball jars and lids, NIB? LOL

Well HELL!!

They don't just unseal. If the lids are bulging you've got botulism growing and that can only happen by processing the food at too low a temp or for too short a time or a combo of both. Acid content in tomatoes make them more resistant to going bad. Did you hot water bath or pressure can these corn jars? Did they make the characteristic "Plink" sound and suck down as they cooled which indicates that the seals are good?

slamfire51
08-14-2012, 07:19 AM
They don't just unseal. If the lids are bulging you've got botulism growing and that can only happen by processing the food at too low a temp or for too short a time or a combo of both. Acid content in tomatoes make them more resistant to going bad. Did you hot water bath or pressure can these corn jars? Did they make the characteristic "Plink" sound and suck down as they cooled which indicates that the seals are good?

Yep, water bathed all jars the recommended time and all lids plunked. The disturbing thing was hearing them plunk as they unsealed.

You are correct, low acid content and water bathing contributed to the spoilage. I should have added lemon juice to up the acid content. From this day forward, all canning will be done using my pressure cooker. A hard and costly lesson learned.

Ball responded with this statement.

We’re concerned you’re experiencing so much food loss. From the information provided, we don’t believe it is the lids that caused this problem. When lids seal, they are working as designed. Using the correct processing time and correct processing method destroys microorganisms that cause spoilage. However, if the food is under processed spoilage occurs. As food spoils it omits gases that cause the lids to release. Using the boiling water method to process vegetables is not a recommended or safe method for preserving low-acid foods. We don’t have enough information to know why the peaches spoiled. Please us are “Contact Us” to provide greater detail about processing time and technique so that we can be of additional help. http://www.freshpreserving.com/contact-us.aspx

N/A
08-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Yep, water bathed all jars the recommended time and all lids plunked. The disturbing thing was hearing them plunk as they unsealed.

You are correct, low acid content and water bathing contributed to the spoilage. I should have added lemon juice to up the acid content. From this day forward, all canning will be done using my pressure cooker. A hard and costly lesson learned.

We’re concerned you’re experiencing so much food loss. From the information provided, we don’t believe it is the lids that caused this problem. When lids seal, they are working as designed. Using the correct processing time and correct processing method destroys microorganisms that cause spoilage. However, if the food is under processed spoilage occurs. As food spoils it omits gases that cause the lids to release. Using the boiling water method to process vegetables is not a recommended or safe method for preserving low-acid foods. We don’t have enough information to know why the peaches spoiled. Please us are “Contact Us” to provide greater detail about processing time and technique so that we can be of additional help. http://www.freshpreserving.com/contact-us.aspx

You don't need to add acid to foods like corn or other vegetables. You have to cook them in a pressure canner for a recommended amount of time. Only high acid things like fruits can be boilng water bathed safely. Tomatos are a fruit.

Schuetzenman
08-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Additional info, from my Ball company book titled; "Blue Book Guide to Preserving". For Cream Corn process 1 hour and 25 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure in a pressure canner. How does this stack up to the duration you used in your Hot Water Bath technique? I admittedly am new to this canning thing and because of it I follow mainstream references on the subject as I know very little from experience. As NA said low pH acidic things are water bathed. pH that is considered acid is 1 to 7, ph larger than 7 is either neutral or Basic. Corn is not an acid food to say the least from what I'm reading. I really feel bad for you losing all that beautiful corn. I would say don't give up on canning, just use the right equipment and cook time to preserve it properly.

slamfire51
08-22-2012, 07:41 AM
I've decided to dump all jars of veggies. I don't want to experience any ill effects from eating tainted food.
We've decided we will freeze all goodies from the garden next year. We're headed to look at LARGE chest freezers today.

The only thing I am saving are the tomatoes and salsa. This was an expensive and labor intensive lesson learned.
Living and learning from your mistakes SUCKS sometimes!!!!

Looks like a canning jar yard sale coming soon.

L1A1Rocker
08-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I've decided to dump all jars of veggies. I don't want to experience any ill effects from eating tainted food.
We've decided we will freeze all goodies from the garden next year. We're headed to look at LARGE chest freezers today.

The only thing I am saving are the tomatoes and salsa. This was an expensive and labor intensive lesson learned.
Living and learning from your mistakes SUCKS sometimes!!!!

Looks like a canning jar yard sale coming soon.

Man, that really (I mean REALLY) sucks. I had a small scale problem last year putting up sweet dill pickles. It wasn't unsafe - it just didn't taste very good. Well, it actually tasted awful. We made some changes and the next batch came out better - and the third batch was just to die for.

Please don't give up. Perhaps a preasure canner would be helpful. At the very least, stick to canning stuff that is easy to can.

slamfire51
08-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a pressure cooker but never thought it was needed.
Next year, tomatoes will still be canned using the pressure cooker.
I may reconsider canning as I have a gazillion jars and new lids.

N/A
08-23-2012, 11:31 AM
If you will can using the pressure cooker and use the recommended times for each different thing, you will not have problems. As I recall, the cooking under pressure is to break down enzymes...but I may be wrong about that.

Presto web site-- http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/index.php

There are four basic agents of food spoilage – enzymes, mold, yeast, and bacteria. Canning will interrupt the natural spoilage cycle, so food can be preserved safely. Molds, yeast, and enzymes are destroyed at temperatures below 212° F, the temperature at which water boils (except in mountainous regions). Therefore, boiling water processing is sufficient to destroy those agents.

Bacteria, however, are not as easily destroyed. The bacteria, Clostridium botulinum produces a spore that makes a poisonous toxin which causes botulism. This spore is not destroyed at 212° F. In addition, bacteria thrive on low acids in the absence of air. Therefore, for a safe food product, low-acid foods need to be processed at 240° F. This temperature can only be achieved with a pressure canner

slamfire51
08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

My only serious concern is botulism. That is one puppy I never want to experience.
That's the reason everything except the tomatoes were dumped.

We used the pressure cooker a few years ago canning tomatoes.
As I said, I'm considering canning again next year.

One thing I did learn this year, is how much room each veggie plant requires. I planted 12 squash plants and didn't remember from previous years just how much room they do require. Looked like a jungle. Same with cucumbers.

I plan to plant peaches and cream corn again next year. Damn that corn is sweet and delicious.
Some things I won't bother to plant are any variety of potatoes, pumpkins, (although the roasted seeds are heaven. Seasoned with butter & salt, olive oil & salt, and Olive oil, salt, garlic, and black pepper Friggin addictive!!!!) NO cucumbers or cantaloupes.

The 'Indian' corn turned out beautifully after the kernels dried.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/indiancorn001.jpg

N/A
08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
I really miss being able to have a garden. I tried it where I'm living now in town and the soil is just too poor to do good. Being single...it's cheaper to just buy right now.

Schuetzenman
08-29-2012, 06:23 AM
I have a pressure cooker but never thought it was needed.
Next year, tomatoes will still be canned using the pressure cooker.
I may reconsider canning as I have a gazillion jars and new lids.

Get this book from the Ball jar company it is titled; "Blue Book Guide to Preserving". It covers pressure canning, hot water bath canning and has recipes for every kind of food you can can. If done properly canned foods are good for 1 year plus in the Ball Mason jars. This is where I looked up the duration for pressure canning corn and how they cautioned to limit the size to pints.

slamfire51
08-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Get this book from the Ball jar company it is titled; "Blue Book Guide to Preserving". It covers pressure canning, hot water bath canning and has recipes for every kind of food you can can. If done properly canned foods are good for 1 year plus in the Ball Mason jars. This is where I looked up the duration for pressure canning corn and how they cautioned to limit the size to pints.

I have that book.
Just didn't read enough, I guess.

shorthair
10-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Ok here is the Butternut patch. Remember that earlier pic? Last frost turned the leaves. What you can't see are about 30 Butternuts in the deep grass. They are big. The deer and varmints only got 3 nuts.

slamfire51
10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Ok here is the Butternut patch. Remember that earlier pic? Last frost turned the leaves. What you can't see are about 30 Butternuts in the deep grass. They are big. The deer and varmints only got 3 nuts.

Looks like they did very well. There is some good eating there. Have you gathered them yet?

When I pulled my pumpkins plants, there were thousands of stink bugs eating the vines. I sprayed the area with a pesticide. I have never seen so many in one small area.

shorthair
10-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Forty seven and the big ones are on the bottom.

slamfire51
10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Forty seven and the big ones are on the bottom.

Big ones on the bottom????

DAYUM!!!

shorthair
10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Dang... 200lbs.

slamfire51
10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Dang... 200lbs.

Bobtail squash casserole...........YUM........:lol2:

I hope you have a BIG appetite, big freezer, or a lot of squash loving friends.