PDA

View Full Version : HORNADY STEEL MATCH 7.62x39 BAD! need a good hunting round

KalashniKid
02-22-2012, 05:10 PM
So i bought a couple hund-o rounds of this crap with the impression "more expensive is always better" or at least better than the Tulammo HPs and FMJs which is really the only things ive shot so far from my wasr-10 but after doing some bench grouping at 50 and 100 yards i must say im not impressed. 50 yard groups opened from 1" with tulammo hp's to approx 2" with the steel match. its completely possible that its just my gun likes the russian stuff a lil more but tbh for the price i was expecting equal or better performance. has anyone had some rifles act this way before? liking the crap shot over the pricey stuff? anyways guess lesson learned to buy a BOX before stacking up on stuff. has anyone had experience with tulammo hollowpoints because im looking for accurate yet trustworthy expansive ammunition with hunting season rapidly approaching and ive read that their hollowpoints dont expand that great, but they sure shoot good for me. also any other "good" hunting round recommendations for 7.62x39 would be greatly appreciated, ill probly only get 100 or so for the season so price isnt too much of an issue.

thanks!
EDIT: target game is wild hog/whitetail, thanks!

deth502
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
idk if the hornaday fall into this category, amof, i would think it dosent, BUT i know my sks (the only one ive tried them in) shots like shit with good american brass cased ammo, but gret with steel milsurp. im completely convinced that it is because the brass ammo was 308 projos, compared to the foreign 310 ones. like i said, i do believe that hornaday did use 310 projos on their rounds, but im not sure, and if not, that could be a factor.

abpt1
02-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I think this (http://www.sgammo.com/product/brown-bear/500rds-762x39-soft-point-brown-bear-125gr-sp-lacquered-case) would make a good hog round.

Yeah

Gunreference1
02-23-2012, 12:26 AM
deth502 is correct about the bullets used by Hornady. In their 7.62x39mm ammunition they do use .310" diameter bullets.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62-Cal-.310-123gr-SST/

http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62-Cal-.310-123gr-z-max/

Steve

O.S.O.K.
02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I think if you really want too maximize accuracy and get a decent hunting bullet, then you'd best handload. I'd try several bullets with a couple powders and see which one your particular AK likes - get a good load and then maybe vary the bullet seating depth a little if there's room to do that...

I'd favor .311" bullets too. Might even try a 150 grain load and see how that does...

Schuetzenman
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
My opinion is your particular WASR-10 just does not like the Hornaday ammo. I have found many AK weapons have strong likes and dislikes of certain brands of ammo. Find what works with your rifle and stock up.

The HP rounds can take a deer. When I was a dealer I had several customers that reported good clean and quick kills with Russian HP ammo. I also had plenty that like the 125 gr. Soft Points that are linked here in abpt1's post. Personally I would go with the soft points if they group well.