PDA

View Full Version : hey Missouri guys

Broondog
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
i know there are a few of you out there so listen up!

a few of us over at OpenCarry.org are trying to get organized statewide to put a face on the OC movement in Missouri. our goals are to educate the public on our right to OC in the state of Missouri and to push for statewide firearms law preemption.

this project is in its infant stage so any and all ideas and/or help would be appreciated. if you are interested you can read the current discussion going on over there.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79496-Idea-on-educating-the-community...

this is a grassroots thing. help us get this off the ground!

thanks in advance.

Kadmos
08-20-2010, 10:22 AM
i know there are a few of you out there so listen up!

a few of us over at OpenCarry.org are trying to get organized statewide to put a face on the OC movement in Missouri. our goals are to educate the public on our right to OC in the state of Missouri and to push for statewide firearms law preemption.

this project is in its infant stage so any and all ideas and/or help would be appreciated. if you are interested you can read the current discussion going on over there.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79496-Idea-on-educating-the-community...

this is a grassroots thing. help us get this off the ground!

thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look over there.

OC is a mess here, legal for the state, but counties can make it illegal, makes it very difficult to do with any practicality.

And of course there is essentially no public awareness of the issue.

slamfire51
08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Where's Jefferson?
He'll get in on this I bet.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
:think:

I'm here. I followed Brooney's link earlier and have been reading some of the info on the OC site. I was also going to look into our local regulations and such.

Personally I have no problem with OC, it would be more convenient than concealed for sure.

If this were to be allowed state wide you'd need a good turnout in the hinterlands because I doubt KC, St Louis, Columbia or Springfield would go for it.

Broondog
08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
:think:

I'm here. I followed Brooney's link earlier and have been reading some of the info on the OC site. I was also going to look into our local regulations and such.

Personally I have no problem with OC, it would be more convenient than concealed for sure.

If this were to be allowed state wide you'd need a good turnout in the hinterlands because I doubt KC, St Louis, Columbia or Springfield would go for it.

as a matter of fact there are a number of folks that OC in the KC and STL areas. in fact one member over there ws setting up "meet-n-greets" at STL area Starbucks locations, in OC legal jurisdictions of course, to help raise public awareness. and many folks in the KC area get more positive responses from both the public and LEO's than they do negative.

the thing is is that it's not possible to get widespread exposure on an individual basis. that's why we are now trying to get organized and possibly add some legitimacy to the movement. hopefully some media sources will then pay attention and get some exposure that way. granted some of the media attention will be spun in a bad light but even a bad review that would be seen by many will get the attention of those who are interested.

and as a matter of fact, most folks don't know that you can OC in the majority of the state. once interested parties are educated and our numbers grow it should be easier to lobby the state Legislature to institute full firearms preemption.

here are a couple of links to help y'all find the statutes of particular municipalities. mind you that if there is no ordinance against OC, or anything for that matter, it is legal. they don't make laws to give us rights, just to infringe upon them.

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/codes-slp/

http://www.municode.com/library/ClientListing.aspx?stateID=25

also here is a link to a list of municipalities that shows both legal and illegal towns. use at your own discretion and always research the laws beforehand.

http://www.natesit.com/oc/mooc.htm

when looking into the city codes you may be surprised at what you find. probably half the towns in the STL area alone are OC legal.

slamfire51
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I like the idea.

Here we can OC, but advised not to because of the uninformed non-carry population.
People just aren't used to seeing a citizen open carry. The results always result in an LEO being called to investigate.
If you remember the idiot (legally licensed) that was carrying a AK pistol in a Nashville park and the streets of Green Hills. He was detained at the scenes, but not charged. I can understand exercising your rights, but not that way. AKs have burned in the public's minds as being a weapon of mass destruction by the media. A simple Glock, or other pistol in a holster would have been met with more people's approval.
There's a right and wrong way to exercise your rights no matter which one (rights) you chose.

Good luck you Missouri carry guys.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, carrying an AK around open is just asking for hassle.

OC is legal here in Jefferson City, but I've never noticed anyone doing it.

I wonder, if you tried to get OC permissible state wide, would you run the risk of losing it state wide? I doubt that would be the out come but the proposition would have to be worded correctly.

slamfire51
08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I wonder, if you tried to get OC permissible state wide, would you run the risk of losing it state wide? I doubt that would be the out come but the proposition would have to be worded correctly.

Are you referring to Missouri or TN?

Broondog
08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I like the idea.

Here we can OC, but advised not to because of the uninformed non-carry population.
People just aren't used to seeing a citizen open carry. The results always result in an LEO being called to investigate.
If you remember the idiot (legally licensed) that was carrying a AK pistol in a Nashville park and the streets of Green Hills. He was detained at the scenes, but not charged. I can understand exercising your rights, but not that way. AKs have burned in the public's minds as being a weapon of mass destruction by the media. A simple Glock, or other pistol in a holster would have been met with more people's approval.
There's a right and wrong way to exercise your rights no matter which one (rights) you chose.

Good luck you Missouri carry guys.

it is true that the public is as a whole uninformed and that OC has been "advised" against by more than one LEA. it's the same everywhere, well for the most part. then there are state such as Virginia and Arizona where OC is commonly accepted. i want to see MO join those ranks.

i have never had a MWAG call done on me but then again i don't haunt the metro areas. i've had curiosity seekers ask me questions and i've done my best to educate them on the laws and their rights. the only LEO contacts i've had were not even really contacts, just a look, a nod and a smile. no problems

and i do keep it low key. i dress average enough and usually carry a Glock 22 in a Serpa holster. i do get more looks if i carry something "flashy" like my two-tone Sig but i've never had any granny's faint or any soccer moms grab their kids and run away. i just go about my business as usual and most don't even notice.

there are also state specific forums over at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/ if any of you wish to research this in your own states.

Broondog
08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, carrying an AK around open is just asking for hassle.

OC is legal here in Jefferson City, but I've never noticed anyone doing it.

firearms preemption in MO has been purely a legislative process so far. you know, bills are introduced and either pass, fail, or die. if the House website would respond i would link you to the bills for the past two years.

it's just a matter of changing the law. the state controls every aspect of firearms law except carry laws, which are left to the individual political subdivisions. it would be like flipping a switch so to speak to change this. getting a bill to make it is the hard part.

in 2009 HB668 passed the House almost unanimously but died in a Senate committee. this year HB2150 was stomped on by Speaker Richards and only assigned to committee on the last day of the session. a similar bill will be brought up again next year and we will fight for it too.....and keep fighting until preemption is passed.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Are you referring to Missouri or TN?

Mizzou. :)

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 12:02 PM
firearms preemption in MO has been purely a legislative process so far. you know, bills are introduced and either pass, fail, or die. if the House website would respond i would link you to the bills for the past two years.

it's just a matter of changing the law. the state controls every aspect of firearms law except carry laws, which are left to the individual political subdivisions. it would be like flipping a switch so to speak to change this. getting a bill to make it is the hard part.

in 2009 HB668 passed the House almost unanimously but died in a Senate committee. this year HB2150 was stomped on by Speaker Richards and only assigned to committee on the last day of the session. a similar bill will be brought up again next year and we will fight for it too.....and keep fighting until preemption is passed.

Dang, I didn't realize that legislation was being attempted. It would obviously be optimum if the law was statewide. I can't help but wonder how folks here in JC would react if they saw someone carrying open. I have my CCW so I roll with that, plus JC is law dog central. Between local police, Sheriffs Dept and the HWP, you can't turn around without seeing one. Which is good, IMHO. Hell I've lived here for over 20 years and haven't gotten a "tuneup" yet.

Broondog
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Dang, I didn't realize that legislation was being attempted. It would obviously be optimum if the law was statewide. I can't help but wonder how folks here in JC would react if they saw someone carrying open. I have my CCW so I roll with that, plus JC is law dog central. Between local police, Sheriffs Dept and the HWP, you can't turn around without seeing one. Which is good, IMHO. Hell I've lived here for over 20 years and haven't gotten a "tuneup" yet.

now that you know i hope that you get involved. one of the nice things about OC is that it is a right, not a privilege to be granted by a permit. i don't believe that it is right to have to pay a fee to exercise my Constitutional (both state and Fed) right to keep and bear arms.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
now that you know i hope that you get involved. one of the nice things about OC is that it is a right, not a privilege to be granted by a permit. i don't believe that it is right to have to pay a fee to exercise my Constitutional (both state and Fed) right to keep and bear arms.

Yeah I agree, that $100 up front fee and $50 every 3 years to renew could be better spent.

So what's the plan as far as action goes?

slamfire51
08-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah I agree, that $100 up front fee and $50 every 3 years to renew could be better spent.

Here it's $115 up front and $50 for renewel after 3 years.
Not too different.

El Jefe
08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Here it's $115 up front and $50 for renewel after 3 years.
Not too different.

Plus the $75 to take the qualifying course.

Broondog
08-20-2010, 12:28 PM

as it stands right now we are trying to figure out who can do what to help get some kind of org up off of the ground. there is still always the OC in public (where legal) thing and staying on the state boys looking for support.

depending on how stoked you get about this you could be one of the Jeff City local "faces" that meets lawmakers and such. the choice is up to you. sign up over there, start posting and get to know just what we are dealing with. and of course search the old threads for what's been done in the past.

slamfire51
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Plus the $75 to take the qualifying course.

It costs me $60 for the course 6 yrs ago.
I bet it a lot more now.

Kadmos
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM

From what I understand we can get trained by someone who is qualified in Utah and mail off for a Utah CCL which I think is $60 for 5 years