PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Ban Norinco AK47 Bolt/Carrier Help

SUCKERPUNCH
02-28-2012, 12:26 AM
I am seriously considering paying $$$$ for a pre-ban Norinco AK47. Can you please help me in determining if the color on the bolt and bolt carrier does not indicate rust or other damage. Your help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1322&d=1330406457

imanaknut
02-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

It is hard to tell from the photo. Some of the early Norincos, and most of the Poly Tech rifles had purple-ish colored hammers. Although I have never seen the bolt and carrier with the same purple tint, it would not surprise me.

Also, some of the early Chinese imports had black bolt carriers, some had them "in the white" as in natural steel color.

I have seen the natural steel color ones with black spots on them, which could be nothing more than stains, but might be minor surface corrosion. I have never seen the dark colored ones with rust on them.

Sorry that I can't give you a better answer, but at least on my monitor it is very hard to see any rust on the parts, and again, I have never seen rust on a black carrier.

SUCKERPUNCH
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

It is hard to tell from the photo. Some of the early Norincos, and most of the Poly Tech rifles had purple-ish colored hammers. Although I have never seen the bolt and carrier with the same purple tint, it would not surprise me.

Also, some of the early Chinese imports had black bolt carriers, some had them "in the white" as in natural steel color.

I have seen the natural steel color ones with black spots on them, which could be nothing more than stains, but might be minor surface corrosion. I have never seen the dark colored ones with rust on them.

Sorry that I can't give you a better answer, but at least on my monitor it is very hard to see any rust on the parts, and again, I have never seen rust on a black carrier.

Thank you very much for your kind words and very helpful response. I greatly appreciate it.

videodon
02-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Welcome!
My AK47S Sile Import has a "black" carrier...
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/videodon/Sile47s_3.jpg
:)

SUCKERPUNCH
03-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Thank you very much for your kind words and very helpful response. I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for the pic, I never knew there were much color variations. By the way, you have a very nice AK.

TB215
03-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Some Polytechs came with the "plum" colored bolt and carrier.

Telling from the picture they just look like stains.

Good luck on your purchase. Chinese pre bans are da BOMB!

SUCKERPUNCH
03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Some Polytechs came with the "plum" colored bolt and carrier.

Telling from the picture they just look like stains.

Good luck on your purchase. Chinese pre bans are da BOMB!

Thank you for your reply and reassurance. I have scoured the web and found that these color variations, especially the plum/purple color are attributed to finishing processes for heat treating the metal.

I am finalizing the purchase of a pre-ban, which I agree is the a well-made old-school firearm.

insider
03-04-2012, 01:44 AM
The bolt on my Sile is purple like that. That's just from being heat treated. Your carrier can be blued or silver depending on where it was made. Buy with confidence!
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/002.jpg

SUCKERPUNCH
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
The bolt on my Sile is purple like that. That's just from being heat treated. Your carrier can be blued or silver depending on where it was made. Buy with confidence!

Thank you for your reply and verification, I greatly appreciate it. I will buy with confidence, excitement, and appreciation of these well-built and well-crafted firearms.