PDA

View Full Version : New M70AB2 owner

billdncn
02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
It's going to the gunsmith Thur. due to running out of windage adj. and to have them just check the ejection to make sure it's cool. Bought it used last weekend and shot it yesterday. Gun is darn accurate with 10-shot groups going 1.5" offhand @ 25yds. with TulAmmo. Problem is it was printing about 3" left. I drifted the front sight further left and it only helped a little (It was already moved left some). Went to 50 yds and it was 4-5" left. I'm not about to do anything myself if I don't have to to correct the issue. So they're gunsmith (where I bought it) can fix any issues for me. The reason I'm having them check the ejection as they test fire is because the shells drop about a foot or so beside me. I feel they should eject with some authority. Not being an AK guy I'm not 100% sure but I'm just having them check that non the same.
This is only the second AK I've owned, the other being a Romy SAR-1 which I traded for this one plus a little. 1st impression is this gun is much heavier and more solid with better machining. I like having a thicker receiver. Something this one has is a detent in the middle position of the safety/dust cover. Can anyone inlighten me on that? Even though this one doesn't have the traditional look with wood stocks (which myself and Son like) I feel I traded up for the M70. Anyway, with out further ado................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/006-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/005-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/003-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/billdncn/Shooting/002-3.jpg

Any info on this gun will be most helpfull.

Thanks

imanaknut
02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
The Yugo M70AB2 is one of the nicer of the current AK variants. You are right that something is not right if the rifle is only dropping the shells a foot or so to your right. They should be ejecting several yards away. At a range it is not unusual to beat the heck out of someone 3 tables down from you with ejected shells.

As for it shooting to the side, is your front sight block straight? Is the rear sight block straight, or the rear sight leave bent? Guessing your's is a Century build, and with them anything was and is possible.

Sounds like it is a nice shooter other than the two things you list. Good luck making it right!

billdncn
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey imanaknut.

I believe the rear sight leaf may be bent. I wouldn't now a straight one from a bent one though with the little experience I have with eastern block guns. We'll see what the smith does or say's.

Thanks

TEN-32
02-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Congrats on the new rifle. I'd guess as AKNUT said you might have a canted sight. Shouldn't be too big a deal to get it shooting straight. As for the ejection, I'd suggest removing the bolt and disassembling it and making sure its not buggered up from some corrosive ammo used by the previous owner. If it is, just clean it up with some spray carb cleaner and some Kroil.

O.S.O.K.
02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Other thing is that you've got a slanty brake on there - it does push the rounds left some... compared to no brake. You could try another style of brake... might help.

billdncn
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
I actually removed the slant brake during the range session and it didn't help. Thanks though

l921428x
02-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Nize.....I love mine. Now you need the bayo and sling. Enjoy.

l921428x
03-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Hey imanaknut.

I believe the rear sight leaf may be bent. I wouldn't now a straight one from a bent one though with the little experience I have with eastern block guns. We'll see what the smith does or say's.

Thanks

Well any info?

hazmat
03-06-2012, 11:59 PM
The printing issue sounds like canted sights. To check, raise your rifle to your cheek. Look over the very top edge of your rear sight at your front site. Use the flat top edge of the rear sight like a level and see how the front sight ears line up. If one side is higher than the other, well there you go.

As for the ejection issue, sounds like a gas issue. These rifles were built from surplus parts, though the barrels are brand new US made. Yugo ammo is corrosive, so it's not unheard of to have a front gas block with a gas hole that been corroded out of spec. If your rifle functions, even though the ejection of spent cases isn't as energetic as you're used to, then it should be fine. But if it starts acting up, not getting rid of the spent cases, then the GB will most likely have to be replaced.

The push button at the rear of your receiver is there to keep the top cover on. Since the Yugoslavians thought that every rifle they had should be able to launch grenades, they had to modify the design to keep the top covers on. Most AKs that have been modified to fire hard kicking rounds, like grenades and shotgun shells have some manner to keep the top cover in place. On Yugo rifles it was a push button. On Polish rifles, it was a mod to the tab on the recoil spring. Same with the Saiga 12. Personally, I like the Yugo design, as the modded tab to me at least, is a PITA to work.

l921428x
03-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Simple but good advise, you would be able to tell the cant left or right.